Carnival Magic Disappointment

covsplace

We left Galveston ahead of Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas but they arrived at Cozumel first. We were delayed getting off for a little while, but not too big a deal, right? We left Cozumel ahead of Navigator and they were first at Belize, where we were competing for tenders. This time there was considerable delay both getting off ship and once aboard as we waited in long lines for busses on our Carnival excursion. The Carnival excursion was 3 times the cost of the cavetubing.bz one but we were worried about missing the boat. Excursion was rushed due to the long wait on arrival. We left Belize just ahead of Navigator and headed to Honduras. As we arrived along the island, Navigator was already at dock in their port as we headed a few miles down to our port. On arrival there were 30 mph winds and the Captain decided not to try entering the apparently narrow channel to port. I think the captain needs to go do time on the Texas intracoastal waterway pushing barges. At least they can manage a 30 mph cross wind in narrow channels, and they don't even have forward and aft side thrusters that this captain had. He didn't even line up on the channel and try. Just anchored offshore for about an hour and then took off to sea. We could have at least waited several hours to see if conditions got better, but we waited an hour and took off!! Either this captain is very insecure and inept or Carnival picked a bad port where moderate winds will abort a landing. We heard from others that this happens more than a few times at this port. I wouldn't recommend this itinerary unless you choose Royal Caribbean. As we sail home and are in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico we now see the Navigator pulling within sight...after spending the day in Roatan!! C'mon Captain!!!

Sorry but RCCL miss ports also because of weather and or sea conditions. If the captain feels it's not safe to dock he will not. It's happened to me before and I trust the captains decision 100%. We just made the best out an extra sea day.

We left Galveston ahead of Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas but they arrived at Cozumel first. We were delayed getting off for a little while, but not too big a deal, right? We left Cozumel ahead of Navigator and they were first at Belize, where we were competing for tenders. This time there was considerable delay both getting off ship and once aboard as we waited in long lines for busses on our Carnival excursion. The Carnival excursion was 3 times the cost of the cavetubing.bz one but we were worried about missing the boat. Excursion was rushed due to the long wait on arrival. We left Belize just ahead of Navigator and headed to Honduras. As we arrived along the island, Navigator was already at dock in their port as we headed a few miles down to our port. On arrival there were 30 mph winds and the Captain decided not to try entering the apparently narrow channel to port. I think the captain needs to go do time on the Texas intracoastal waterway pushing barges. At least they can manage a 30 mph cross wind in narrow channels, and they don't even have forward and aft side thrusters that this captain had. He didn't even line up on the channel and try. Just anchored offshore for about an hour and then took off to sea. We could have at least waited several hours to see if conditions got better, but we waited an hour and took off!! Either this captain is very insecure and inept or Carnival picked a bad port where moderate winds will abort a landing. We heard from others that this happens more than a few times at this port. I wouldn't recommend this itinerary unless you choose Royal Caribbean. As we sail home and are in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico we now see the Navigator pulling within sight...after spending the day in Roatan!! C'mon Captain!!!

Until I get a license to drive the drive the cruise ship, I will trust the judgement of the Captain.

This seems to be a common complaint with Carnival in Roatan. RCCL and Carnival do not dock at the same port. The narrow channel in to Mahogany Bay means that high winds can prevent them Carnival from docking there. A challenge that it seems RCCL does not face at the port in which they dock.

I understand that it is frustrating to miss a port, it happens to all of us that have cruised long enough. We know it can happen and we move past it. Plus you got a few bucks back on your room folio. Perhaps enough to buy a beer.

Edited by dioxide45

This seems to be a common complaint with Carnival in Roatan. RCCL and Carnival do not dock at the same port. The narrow channel in to Mahogany Bay means that high winds can prevent them Carnival from docking there. A challenge that it seems RCCL does not face at the port in which they dock.

I understand that it is frustrating to miss a port, it happens to all of us that have cruised long enough. We know it can happen and we move past it. Plus you got a few bucks back on your room folio. Perhaps enough to buy a beer.

I agree with this post but would narrow it down even more to the Magic, Breeze and Dream. There is so much broadside surface area of the ship (it's called "sail" for the nautical folk) that moderate winds against the broad side of the ship can be more powerful than the thrusters. Other ships in the Conquest class don't have this problem as often as the Dream class does.

Something else to consider: The Captain may have received a weather report that indicated winds would be increasing by sail away time. Carnival was not successful in convincing the Honduran authorities about removing parts of the reef/coral system to widen the channel, but they were adamant about moving their operation from Coxen's Hole to their private Mahogany Bay shopping corral for the additional revenue stream that MB funnels to CCL..

I was on this cruise and while I was bummed about missing Roatan, I don't think the Captain wants to miss a port.

Think about all the logistics that go into it. Refunding all the shore excursions booked, organizing a bunch of activities and printing out a new Fun Times. Not to mention all the disappointed crew that had to get a wake up call to now report for work on a ship full of guests, and the one's that were expecting time off.

It's just part of the risk of cruising.

I was on this cruise and while I was bummed about missing Roatan, I don't think the Captain wants to miss a port.

Think about all the logistics that go into it. Refunding all the shore excursions booked, organizing a bunch of activities and printing out a new Fun Times. Not to mention all the disappointed crew that had to get a wake up call to now report for work on a ship full of guests, and the one's that were expecting time off.

It's just part of the risk of cruising.

Exactly. Missing a port, especially one like Roatan, costs Carnival A LOT of money.

Edited by dioxide45

When you get your Master Mariner's License and are privy to all the facts, you can criticize the decision of the Captain all you want. If the Captain had tried to dock the ship in those conditions and ran aground or ran into the pier or into the reef, you (or someone) would've been saying he is irresponsible. He can't win either way with passengers, so he errs on the side of safety -- and rightly so.

I'm an airline pilot. I love it when a passenger gets off the plane and criticizes one of my landings, especially when they have no clue about the conditions I faced to land the plane. Or, when we have to divert to an alternate airport due to weather conditions and are low on fuel because of extensive holding and delay vectors and someone chimes in that they've landed in worse weather (or so they think).

Just last week I was landing in La Guardia. La Guardia is a very congested airport with short runways. I was landing a light A320 with a direct crosswind and it was quite a firm landing. One guy decided to make a comment about it and it took everything I had to bite my tongue as he walked off. He obviously had no clue about the conditions, nor did he have an ATP License, or he would've said "thank you" instead.

Sometimes, you just have to trust the professionals to do their jobs. Safety is #1. If you get inconvenienced, so be it. It's better than the alternative. Just as with airlines, the decision to divert, delay or cancel a flight is not an easy decision. Believe me, airlines don't like cancelling or delaying flights. It costs the airline lots of money to do so. I'm sure the Captain in this situation based his decision to cancel the port on the weather conditions, sea conditions and his extensive experience and knowledge and knowing how a 130,000 ton ship reacts.

Edited by stobe1

Another fact to consider is that the PORT OFFICIALS decide who gets in first, second or last. And the pilots at the ports also have a huge factor in whether a ship docks or aborts a port.

I would trust the ship's captain and the port's pilot's decisions over the uniformed opinions of passengers who really have no idea of what is involved in how to safely dock a 130,000+ ton ship.

I agree with this post but would narrow it down even more to the Magic, Breeze and Dream. There is so much broadside surface area of the ship (it's called "sail" for the nautical folk) that moderate winds against the broad side of the ship can be more powerful than the thrusters. Other ships in the Conquest class don't have this problem as often as the Dream class does.

Something else to consider: The Captain may have received a weather report that indicated winds would be increasing by sail away time. Carnival was not successful in convincing the Honduran authorities about removing parts of the reef/coral system to widen the channel, but they were adamant about moving their operation from Coxen's Hole to their private Mahogany Bay shopping corral for the additional revenue stream that MB funnels to CCL..

Why would a captain risk the ship, the passengers if it was unsafe. Also, the ship must back in to get to the dock as there's no room to turn in.

It might look like it to us, but the coral is there and can't be destroyed. I think at one point, that channel was slightly widened because ships like Dream were not docking more than docking, but the widening allowed was minimal and that helped.

Really? All lines miss ports if the captain feels it's unsafe to dock. We've missed an overnight stay in Bermuda due to weather - RC took us to Nassau instead. Pretty disappointing, but the captain knows a heck of a lot more about navigating a ship than I do. We've also missed Grand Turk due to contrary winds. As far as speed goes, it's not a race or a mall parking lot with ships racing to get a parking spot at the pier. You gotta trust the captain's judgement.

I can understand your disappointment and also your confusion as to why one ship is in port and the other is not. But conditions can change minute by minute and the Captain has a responsibility to safeguard all the "Souls On Board."

It's almost the same as the people we always see on the local news after a heavy storm...you know, the ones who are being rescued from their half submerged car because, "It didn't look that bad. I've driven this road a thousand times..."

Hi Covsplace,

I don't get it. I see that you have been a member of cc for over a year. Have you not read these threads and seen that often enough ships will not make it to a port. We are all thankful that they don't ask our fellow passengers for their opinion on the matter.

So you missed a port and were disappointed. I am sure lots of other people were as well. If you cruise often this will happen. Do not be surprised the next time. Did that totally ruin your vacation? Why don't you tell if you had a good time or not.

if you cruise again Happy Sailing

I have cruised Carnival 13 times and have missed 1 port back around 2001.

I cruised Royal ONCE in 2012 and missed a port...

I cruised Celebrity ONCE 2014 and didn't miss any ports...

sooo I don't think Carnival likes to miss ports... I also don't blame Royal for the bad weather in October when we cruised and he decided no to tender.

I'm with the pilot who wrote brilliantly earlier... Trust professionals, they have your safety in mind!! I don't follow blindly, but I also don't go up to the bridge and demand he explain his course to me, nor do I expect him to come to my job and tell me how to do it!

:)

We have been to Roatan twice on RCCL on each occasion we saw the Carnival ship turn around and head back to sea. Carnival apparently constructed the facilities on Roatan and must have known there were likely to be problems with docking. Then again maybe they did not

When you get your Master Mariner's License and are privy to all the facts, you can criticize the decision of the Captain all you want. If the Captain had tried to dock the ship in those conditions and ran aground or ran into the pier or into the reef, you (or someone) would've been saying he is irresponsible. He can't win either way with passengers, so he errs on the side of safety -- and rightly so.

I'm an airline pilot. I love it when a passenger gets off the plane and criticizes one of my landings, especially when they have no clue about the conditions I faced to land the plane. Or, when we have to divert to an alternate airport due to weather conditions and are low on fuel because of extensive holding and delay vectors and someone chimes in that they've landed in worse weather (or so they think).

Just last week I was landing in La Guardia. La Guardia is a very congested airport with short runways. I was landing a light A320 with a direct crosswind and it was quite a firm landing. One guy decided to make a comment about it and it took everything I had to bite my tongue as he walked off. He obviously had no clue about the conditions, nor did he have an ATP License, or he would've said "thank you" instead.

Sometimes, you just have to trust the professionals to do their jobs. Safety is #1. If you get inconvenienced, so be it. It's better than the alternative. Just as with airlines, the decision to divert, delay or cancel a flight is not an easy decision. Believe me, airlines don't like cancelling or delaying flights. It costs the airline lots of money to do so. I'm sure the Captain in this situation based his decision to cancel the port on the weather conditions, sea conditions and his extensive experience and knowledge and knowing how a 130,000 ton ship reacts.

Another pilot here. And I agree completely!! TRUST the captain, trust his decisions. It's his job, and your life that's on the line. You have never had 5000 plus people's lives resting in your hands and in the decisions you make. This is NOT a disappointment, thank goodness for trained knowledgable people that we can trust to make the right decisions.