shareholder benefit every time?

ginger123snaps

Do you get onboard credit EVERY time you cruise? That is assuming you owe 100 shares

Ravina

Since buying the stock we have gotten the benefit every cruise except the free one I won onboard the Dream. Since all we paid was the taxes, we did not receive the shareholder onboard credit.

We have taken advantage of a number of different rates, including some very low rate sales, and have never been refused regardless of the sale fare we took advantage of.

Yes, every time but only on one cabin, even if you have 200 shares and two cabins (unless two people owned 100 each and were in different cabins. We even got the credit for our upcoming cruise. It was a bounce back offer that we upgraded to an aft cabin .

I think it's important to note that you have to fill out and submit the paperwork before each cruise, in order to get the shareholder benefit.

In other words, just submitting the paperwork for a cruise this month does NOT automatically get you the shareholder credit every time you cruise in the future. The paperwork must be submitted fresh for each and every cruise you take. That's so that they can verify that you still own the stock.

I think it's important to note that you have to fill out and submit the paperwork before each cruise, in order to get the shareholder benefit.

In other words, just submitting the paperwork for a cruise this month does NOT automatically get you the shareholder credit every time you cruise in the future. The paperwork must be submitted fresh for each and every cruise you take. That's so that they can verify that you still own the stock.

this is a good point and I have put down more then one cruise that I had booked on one paper and had to re submit the second one as it got closer so if you did not get it resubmit

this is a good point and I have put down more then one cruise that I had booked on one paper and had to re submit the second one as it got closer so if you did not get it resubmit

I'm not sure why you had to do this. I have a cruise in Sept and one in Feb. I submitted the form in early July for both cruises and both were accepted.

Do you get onboard credit EVERY time you cruise? That is assuming you owe 100 shares

Ravina

Yes I just give a copy of my statement with my account number blacked out via email to my personal vacation planner at Carnival and she submits the paperwork for me. She has done this even for back to back cruises.

Bear in mind, too, that owning Carnival stocks also gets you shipboard credit on several other lines, most notably (for us) HAL and Princess. I just submitted the paperwork for our Princess cruise coming up in November and 2 days later it was showing on our account. 2 days!!!

Oh, and our stock is doing fine. It went down back in 2008 (with everything else), but has rebounded back up to above what we paid for it (even with the recent drop). AND, in addition to OBC, they pay dividends.

Edited by srlafleur

So i guess i'm trying to figure out if its worth buying the stock? We usually stick to mutual funds. With the way the stock market is rolling I'm seeing this as a buy in opportunity. How well have all of you done?

Ravina

I have had it for a few years now. It has increased slowly but steadily and also pays a dividend. It has been a good stock for me.

If you are thinking of buying, now might be the time since the stock has fallen a bit.

We bought when the stock was around $23 so have done quite well even though we bought solely for the OBCs. We receive OBCs each time we sail, have never had a problem with them being applied promptly.

The most OBC we received was $750 on our b2b2b sailing to South America ($250x3) (we booked the 3 segments separately so had three different booking numbers).

Our Carnival stock has been profitable for us, especially for the OBC

We rarely get the OBC benefit from our Royal stock -- they don't allow it to be combined with other offers. We almost always have some sort of deal - like on board booking.

So i guess i'm trying to figure out if its worth buying the stock? We usually stick to mutual funds. With the way the stock market is rolling I'm seeing this as a buy in opportunity. How well have all of you done?

Ravina

This stock wasn't an "investment" for me. It was just an added cash perk for my multiple cruising. So, it was an insignificant amount of money, for me to purchase it.

I heavily use the benefits- example- $1650 last year. I can't see much sense in buying this, for people, who have to "save" for general purchases, or for those who don't cruise at least 3/5 times per year? Yep- flame away, but I see, a fair amount of the time, with people claiming, they don't have the money for deposits, have no money for excursions, or had to save a long time, for their once/ year vacation etc etc

Edited by Budget Queen

Ravina

Buying shares in this company just for the OBC is not a really good reason to buy.

That being said asking people how the have done doesn't really help you either because the share price for cruise line stock are at near highs for the year, even with recent drops. So anyone who has held these shares for any period of time would be doing very well. Past performance doesn't reflect the future.

The company does pay a dividend, so for the foreseeable future you would get that $1/per share each year as well as any OBC you qualify for.

As was stated you would also get the OBC for other cruise lines owed by CCL, such as Princess etc.

If you had purchased shares when you first started cruising with Carnival you would be well ahead by now. Your OBC's and dividends would have paid off the share cost by themselves. One thing about the OBC is that is tax free:)

There are a lot of things to consider in investing and while buying for the OBC is not wise in itself, buying in what interests you is.

Good Luck

and

Happy cruising

Edited by Nic6318

Buying shares in this company just for the OBC is not a really good reason to buy.

For someone who cruises many times a year- that actually could be a decent reason to buy. The ROI would be pretty good- not many stocks that basically guarantee $100 payouts multiple time a year.

We only cruise once a year or not even that frequently. We've looked into the stock a few times- it would be a small part of our portfolio, but so far, we haven't seen that the value is worth it for us. It is a good dividend stock, so we keep looking back at it; but haven't purchased.

We were hoping it would drop a bit more with this latest correction, but the price is still too high for us. Oh well...

We bought the stock at $30 and receive $100 OBC for every 7 day cruise on one of the many CCL lines. We figured, since we love cruising so much, that after 30 Cruises we paid for the stock in our OBC. It is a good stock and has gone up in price since we bought. It was a fun thing to do for us. buy a stock, watch it increase in value, while enjoying a perk of sailing (which we do anyway) but getting something out of it too.

we don't plan on selling it for it a while and enjoying this perk! Fun having a stock you can enjoy;)

Excuse me for pointing out the oblivious, but our $250 OBC on our upcoming Hawaii cruise is like tax free cash. -- it is equivalent to earning closer to $325 for us. :)

Not everyone remembers to consider that

Edited by CRUZBUDS