Hawaii excursions...

Oceansurfcb

This would be my #1 recommendation.

Helicopter tour of Kauai island on a Hughes 500 with no doors. Tour by Jack Harter Helicopters ...

Also would suggest renting a car and touring a little on your own. Hawaii gets lots of tourist and there are many tourist traps. Have you thought about surfing, SUP boards etc?

And congratulations

"Wings over Kauai". is the #1 company for flying excursions on Trip Advisor for Kauai

Being from the west coast we have spent many weeks in Hawaii on land vacations. The Big Island is our favorite and we are snorkel fans so I would suggest Two Step at the Place of Refuge. Some of the best snorkeling around and many times we have been able to snorkel with dolphins. There are some great beaches on the Big Island as well - Beach 69 and Mauna Kea (Hapuna is also good but not much shade). All of beaches have good snorkeling as well. If you are docking in Hilo it would be quite a trek over to the beaches but some beautiful scenery along the way.

I would suggest getting the books The Big Island Revealed. There is a version for each island. It's like a bible over there. You see everyone carrying around a copy.

I would suggest getting the books The Big Island Revealed. There is a version for each island. It's like a bible over there. You see everyone carrying around a copy.

The "Revealed" series of guidebooks are great sources of information however too many people ignore their warning to consider the changing conditions & end up in trouble.

That results in situations like last week when 16 people (14 tourists) had to be rescued by helicopter here on Maui. Fortunately they were not injured however serious injuries & even death have resulted when ignoring the conditions & the weather forecast.

http://mauinow.com/2015/08/25/rescue-underway-at-kailua-commando-hike-in-east-maui/

A few years ago we did the Hawaii cruise and will be doing it again in November 2016. We took the movie scene tour. Both my husband and myself were VERY disappointed!

There is a tv screen in the front of the bus that shows the scene from the movie then the tour guide points the area out to you. The tv screen was small and some scenes you can get close to but others you are seeing from a distance.

Then the tour guide started playing music of a famous hawaiian singer. She gave a big spiel on how wonderful he is. Then we went to an old hotel that was abandoned after a hurricane where Elvis had filmed some movies. As we pulled in, low and behold! there sat the famous Hawaiian singer with the hatch of his station wagon open displaying his CD's that he had for sale. We were made to sit there and listen to him talk about his career and then were practically begged to buy a CD. It was very awkward to say the least!

When we got back on the bus the tour guide kept stressing how lucky we were to have run into him and what a rare thing this was. Really? The gates around the hotel were locked and the tour guide and I guess this singer had keys. What a coincidence!LOL

We drove to a waterfall and it started pouring rain. The bus driver left the doors of the bus open and the tv got wet and would no longer work.

All we had left of the tour was lunch. The tour guide took a vote. We could either go back to the ship and have 100% of our money refunded, or we could go to lunch and have 50% refunded. I couldn't believe the vote was even close. This tour was never ending and I just wanted out of there! At one point I needed to use the restroom and started heading towards a public one and the tour guide stopped me and said, "oh no, you will have to wait till our next stop in 45 minutes"! I laughed, pushed past her and used the bathroom. I felt like a prisoner on this bus! There was plenty of time and I got back to the bus before most of the others. I don't know why she wanted us to wait.

Anyways, we ended up with a full refund. We got back to the ship just in time for lunch on the lido!

The "Revealed" series of guidebooks are great sources of information however too many people ignore their warning to consider the changing conditions & end up in trouble.

That results in situations like last week when 16 people (14 tourists) had to be rescued by helicopter here on Maui. Fortunately they were not injured however serious injuries & even death have resulted when ignoring the conditions & the weather forecast.

http://mauinow.com/2015/08/25/rescue-underway-at-kailua-commando-hike-in-east-maui/

I read the Revealed Maui book, and to my surprise, there were a few "errors". Mind you, this is a book written by a travel writer from the mainland. Most of it was accurate, there were a few items that were "culturally" incorrect. Not enough to make it fictional, but please, please, please, take the time to experience of culture of each island.

Kauai:

I've always wanted to do the NaPali Coastline by zodiac. Classmates just did this over the summer so I guess I am not over the hill just yet.

I've rented a car and driven the island. By the way, these are islands but have no road that circles the entire island.

I've taken a helicopter ride (second choice of activities).

And I haven't done the Menehune Ditch yet.

Traveling the 4 islands will give you a taste to see where you would like to return for an extended visit.

Sample the local foods. Stay away from mainland chains. Be sun protected (sunscreen, hat, long sleeves, lots of water).

Displaced local girl

Another comment about the Arizona Memorial - that should be a "gotta do!" I spent a week on Ohau after my islands cruise. Another spot to take in is the North Shore. This area is where the '60s surfing movies were made. When I was there the weather didn't cooperate and there weren't any big waves:(. Also on the Big Island is the tour up to the summit of Mauna Kea, 14k'; it will be very cold up there (the snow barely melts before it starts snowing again). This is where the big observatories are.

This area is where the '60s surfing movies were made. When I was there the weather didn't cooperate and there weren't any big waves.

We were there in 1986 on our honeymoon...the opposite was true...the waves were too heavy for anyone to stick more than a toe into the water.

This area is where the '60s surfing movies were made. When I was there the weather didn't cooperate and there weren't any big waves.

We were there in 1986 on our honeymoon...the opposite was true...the waves were too heavy for anyone to stick more than a toe into the water.

As a rule of thumb:

Winter Swells on the North Shore (Haleiwa) and Makaha (West end)

Summer Swells on the South Shore (Diamond Head)

This summer, we've had several hurricanes pass to the north of the islands producing huge swells on the North Shore. Big Wave competitions are generally held during the winter months, but they can only best guess days. There are buoys that can help "predict" the size and intervals of the waves. Traffic during these days are horrendous.

Surprising at it may seem, not every island has beaches. Waikiki's sand is trucked in since most of it is washed out in the summer. Hilo and Kona have rocky beaches. There are a few nice beaches on Maui and Kauai. Oahu seems to have the "best" beaches including Lanikai, Kailua Beach Park, Waimanalo Beach Park, and Bellows (especially if you are military).

There is something to do for everyone. You will need to decide where your interest is and focus on those activities that you would enjoy most. Each island has something different to offer.

As a rule of thumb:

Winter Swells on the North Shore (Haleiwa) and Makaha (West end)

Summer Swells on the South Shore (Diamond Head)...

Well, I was there in early June so I guess the weather was doing just what it was supposed to do. I took the city bus from Honolulu up to Waimea Bay then spent most of the day there and wandering down through the main areas, Waimea Bay, Banzai Pipeline, Sunset Beach. Just spent a nice quiet day "on the beach(s)"

Edited by Treven

Well, I was there in early June so I guess the weather was doing just what it was supposed to do. I took the city bus from Honolulu up to Waimea Bay then spent most of the day there and wandering down through the main areas, Waimea Bay, Banzai Pipeline, Sunset Beach. Just spent a nice quiet day "on the beach(s)"

You were fortunate to see the big waves and smarter to stay out of the water.

With 3 Hurricanes in the Central Pacific at the same time, Kilo, Ignacio, and Jimena, today's wave report was 6 - 9 feet conditions along the north shores. It is a powerful sight to experience. Glad you rode da Bus out there.

You were fortunate to see the big waves and smarter to stay out of the water.

With 3 Hurricanes in the Central Pacific at the same time, Kilo, Ignacio, and Jimena, today's wave report was 6 - 9 feet conditions along the north shores. It is a powerful sight to experience. Glad you rode da Bus out there.

Sorry, I wasn't in Hawaii this past June, but it was a number of years ago. My apologies for inadvertently misleading you good folks.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as far as something to see/do in Honolulu is to visit Hilo Hattie's! I loved the kitsch sold there, but also the silk Hawaiian shirts; I ended up buying two.

Edited by Treven

A few years ago we did the Hawaii cruise and will be doing it again in November 2016. We took the movie scene tour. Both my husband and myself were VERY disappointed!

There is a tv screen in the front of the bus that shows the scene from the movie then the tour guide points the area out to you. The tv screen was small and some scenes you can get close to but others you are seeing from a distance.

Then the tour guide started playing music of a famous hawaiian singer. She gave a big spiel on how wonderful he is. Then we went to an old hotel that was abandoned after a hurricane where Elvis had filmed some movies. As we pulled in, low and behold! there sat the famous Hawaiian singer with the hatch of his station wagon open displaying his CD's that he had for sale. We were made to sit there and listen to him talk about his career and then were practically begged to buy a CD. It was very awkward to say the least!

When we got back on the bus the tour guide kept stressing how lucky we were to have run into him and what a rare thing this was. Really? The gates around the hotel were locked and the tour guide and I guess this singer had keys. What a coincidence!LOL

We drove to a waterfall and it started pouring rain. The bus driver left the doors of the bus open and the tv got wet and would no longer work.

All we had left of the tour was lunch. The tour guide took a vote. We could either go back to the ship and have 100% of our money refunded, or we could go to lunch and have 50% refunded. I couldn't believe the vote was even close. This tour was never ending and I just wanted out of there! At one point I needed to use the restroom and started heading towards a public one and the tour guide stopped me and said, "oh no, you will have to wait till our next stop in 45 minutes"! I laughed, pushed past her and used the bathroom. I felt like a prisoner on this bus! There was plenty of time and I got back to the bus before most of the others. I don't know why she wanted us to wait.

Anyways, we ended up with a full refund. We got back to the ship just in time for lunch on the lido!

Maybe our experience was way different because we're film buffs. I also looked up some of the movies mentioned on the Princess description of the tour and we tried to watch (or rewatch, like in the case of "Blue Hawaii) as many of the movies as possible. It's just like many tours -- if you do a little research beforehand, you may get more out of the sites you see than if you were totally unfamiliar with the subject.

That "old hotel" you mentioned was the Coco Palms. If you watch the last segment of Blue Hawaii, you would get an idea of why it was such a loss after Iniki. (on my first trip to Hawaii, which was a guided land tour, we had lunch there while in Kauai)

Yes, it was planned to have Larry Rivera there as part of the stop there. We really enjoyed listening to him (my hubby even bought one of his CDs and has enjoyed revisiting our time there through his beautiful singing) and watching our guide dance the hula in accompaniment. I didn't get the idea that anyone was "forced" to buy the CD. Any of you could have just looked at the ruins some more.

My hubby isn't into movies like my teen and I are, but he really enjoyed the tour too.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as far as something to see/do in Honolulu is to visit Hilo Hattie's! I loved the kitsch sold there, but also the silk Hawaiian shirts; I ended up buying two.

HH is hanging on by a thread hoping to come out of their most recent bankruptcy. Their flagship store in Honolulu on Nimitz Highway has closed leaving only the Ala Moana, Kauai and Maui (an outlet store in Lahaina which looks more like a closeout) stores still open.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150903_Hilo_Hattie_to_emerge_from_bankruptcy_by_years_end.html?id=324248451

Edited by Astro Flyer

HH is hanging on by a thread hoping to come out of their most recent bankruptcy. Their flagship store in Honolulu on Nimitz Highway has closed leaving only the Ala Moana, Kauai and Maui (an outlet store in Lahaina which looks more like a closeout) stores still open.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150903_Hilo_Hattie_to_emerge_from_bankruptcy_by_years_end.html?id=324248451

That's unfortunate, but that's business.

Maybe our experience was way different because we're film buffs. I also looked up some of the movies mentioned on the Princess description of the tour and we tried to watch (or rewatch' date=' like in the case of "Blue Hawaii) as many of the movies as possible. It's just like many tours -- if you do a little research beforehand, you may get more out of the sites you see than if you were totally unfamiliar with the subject.

That "old hotel" you mentioned was the Coco Palms. If you watch the last segment of Blue Hawaii, you would get an idea of why it was such a loss after Iniki. (on my first trip to Hawaii, which was a guided land tour, we had lunch there while in Kauai)

Yes, it was planned to have Larry Rivera there as part of the stop there. We really enjoyed listening to him (my hubby even bought one of his CDs and has enjoyed revisiting our time there through his beautiful singing) and watching our guide dance the hula in accompaniment. I didn't get the idea that anyone was "forced" to buy the CD. Any of you could have just looked at the ruins some more.

My hubby isn't into movies like my teen and I are, but he really enjoyed the tour too.[/quote']

I didn't have a problem with Larry Rivera being there, but I did have a problem with them acting like it was a big coincidence. Just say, "hey, this famous singer is going to be there selling his cd's". I didn't like the dishonesty.

I'm sorry to hear that. Years ago, it seemed like HH stores were everywhere in Hawaii! I still have one of their mugs--I guess it might become a collector's item now.

...That "old hotel" you mentioned was the Coco Palms. If you watch the last segment of Blue Hawaii' date=' you would get an idea of why it was such a loss after Iniki...[/quote']

The last time I was in Kauai, about 10 years ago, it was in the local news that a condo or timeshare development was proposed for that site. It sounds as though that never happened.

IIRC, there is some connection between that property and Hawaiian royalty. I remember seeing some koi fish in a pond there amidst the ruins after Iniki, and being told by a local that their ancestors (the koi, that is) were once owned by the royal family.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

That's unfortunate, but that's business.

I'm sorry to hear that. Years ago, it seemed like HH stores were everywhere in Hawaii! I still have one of their mugs--I guess it might become a collector's item now.

To me they had too much inventory & big stores sold fewer items at lower prices. Stores like ABC & Whalers General Store also sell other items such as food & drinks in addition to Hawaiian-style clothing & souvenirs like HH.

I haven't been to Waikiki in decades...I wonder they still have ABCs on about every other street corner. :p

I doubt if their mugs will ever be a collectors item because nearly every customer got one for free. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was at the Nimitz Hilo Hattie about a week ago. It is still in operation, but definitely has lost its appeal. Maui Divers is still the main attraction in the store. There are several "vendors" that are staged within the store. On alternate days, the oil essence people are there. They "helped" me make a raffia wristlet with shells and then tried to sell me some healing oils. Down the way is a high end cosmetic area who are more than willing to help make you beautiful. Then there are an assortment of other things for sale, including pet wear.

I stop at this store a half a dozen times a trip to pick up my free necklace. Sometimes I am a Kama'aina and other times I am a tourist. Sad to say that the Hilo Hattie in "Hilo Town" is closed. The one in Maui is still going and did not visit the one in Kauai.

For a while, our industrialist mayor wanted to house the homeless at this property with services. The Homeless are becoming a very big issue on the islands. But I will not get into the politics of it all. This plan failed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/print-edition/2015/07/31/hilo-hattie-bid-goes-to-weinberg.html

Whatever you choose to do, there will be just as many other things you will run out of time for. Prioritize your interests and just have a grand time learning about the culture and tastes of the islands.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I was at the Nimitz Hilo Hattie about a week ago. It is still in operation, but definitely has lost its appeal. Maui Divers is still the main attraction in the store. There are several "vendors" that are staged within the store. On alternate days, the oil essence people are there. They "helped" me make a raffia wristlet with shells and then tried to sell me some healing oils. Down the way is a high end cosmetic area who are more than willing to help make you beautiful. Then there are an assortment of other things for sale, including pet wear.

I stop at this store a half a dozen times a trip to pick up my free necklace. Sometimes I am a Kama'aina and other times I am a tourist. Sad to say that the Hilo Hattie in "Hilo Town" is closed. The one in Maui is still going and did not visit the one in Kauai.

For a while, our industrialist mayor wanted to house the homeless at this property with services. The Homeless are becoming a very big issue on the islands. But I will not get into the politics of it all. This plan failed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/print-edition/2015/07/31/hilo-hattie-bid-goes-to-weinberg.html

Whatever you choose to do, there will be just as many other things you will run out of time for. Prioritize your interests and just have a grand time learning about the culture and tastes of the islands.

Mahalo for the info...the Star Advertiser only mentioned the Ala Moana, Kauai & Maui stores continuing after emerging from bankruptcy. I remember seeing the local news about considering using the Nimitz store to help with the homeless situation.

The Kihei store near me closed around the first of the year so POA passengers no longer have a free bus ride to shop at HH. One improvement is the Lahaina store now has Dole Whip which I haven't found on Maui in a long time.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I read the Revealed Maui book, and to my surprise, there were a few "errors". Mind you, this is a book written by a travel writer from the mainland. Most of it was accurate, there were a few items that were "culturally" incorrect. Not enough to make it fictional, but please, please, please, take the time to experience of culture of each island.

Displaced local girl

I fully respect the Hawaiian culture and continue to live in Maui & on the Mainland. I've also read several books including "Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands" and "Holy Man: Father Damien of Molokai" written by historian Gavan Daws who has a Ph.D. in Pacific History from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

If you would inform the authors of the Revealed series of guidebooks about a few "errors" they'd probably say "mahalo" & make corrections in future editions.

I'm not aware of any guidebook that doesn't contain some mistakes but don't recall any in Maui Revealed. You say they are written by "a travel writer from the mainland" and they say "We live here, and we personally and anonymously review every facet of the islands".

It doesn't matter much to me who is correct because I've used Maui Revealed for many years and in my opinion it's the best guidebook available.

Edited by Astro Flyer