Hawaii excursions...

Oceansurfcb

I fully respect the Hawaiian culture and continue to live in Maui & on the Mainland. I've also read several books including "Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands" and "Holy Man: Father Damien of Molokai" written by historian Gavan Daws who has a Ph.D. in Pacific History from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

If you would inform the authors of the Revealed series of guidebooks about a few "errors" they'd probably say "mahalo" & make corrections in future editions.

I'm not aware of any guidebook that doesn't contain some mistakes but don't recall any in Maui Revealed. You say they are written by "a travel writer from the mainland" and they say "We live here, and we personally and anonymously review every facet of the islands".

It doesn't matter much to me who is correct because I've used Maui Revealed for many years and in my opinion it's the best guidebook available.

Have we ever cruised together? If not, some day I'd like to meet you.

The Revealed Books are not that way off. So I did not see the need to send them an edit. I just wanted people to understand that Hawaii has a very special culture, not like on the mainland, even though we are a state. I know each state has its own uniqueness. I just believe that Hawaii has some very different point of views.

As for Gavan Daws...I had him as my professor at the University of Hawaii. He was so engaging. I sat in the Varsity Theater lectures...front row...because of his teaching style.

I sure hope you have made it over to Moloka'i since you are just around the corner. The tour is lead by the mayor of Kalaupapa. His message was to have as many visit while there are still residents living there. Have you tried to sign up for Barge Day when the residents of Maui go over to offload/load the Barge for the year?

A hui hou

...I just wanted people to understand that Hawaii has a very special culture, not like on the mainland, even though we are a state...

I agree, and tell this to everyone I know planning to visit Hawaii for the first time. I have been to every region of the US, and can say that Hawaii, while certainly a state, feels the most like its own country. A very unique and special people and culture :).

I agree, and tell this to everyone I know planning to visit Hawaii for the first time. I have been to every region of the US, and can say that Hawaii, while certainly a state, feels the most like its own country. A very unique and special people and culture :).

Mahalo Nui Loa...

Edited by cr8tiv1

I didn't have a problem with Larry Rivera being there, but I did have a problem with them acting like it was a big coincidence. Just say, "hey, this famous singer is going to be there selling his cd's". I didn't like the dishonesty.

Our guide didn't act like it was a coincidence and said it was part of the tour to come to the ruins and have Larry perform for the group. She even had a connection to him as his daughter had been her hula teacher.

Perhaps you had a guide who wasn't as straight forward.

I know each state has its own uniqueness. I just believe that Hawaii has some very different point of views.

We first cruised to Hawaii in 2008; I took a break of a couple of weeks from volunteering with a political candidate with Hawaiian connections. Going around the islands we saw a lot of political signs for local office, but only about two for the national elections.

Speaking of its own point of view and uniqueness, I was quite amazed to discover, at least at that time, there was no Bank of America branches there. I had a check from BofA and couldn't cash it. I ended up going to one of those check cashing ripoff joints to cash my check. But at least I got it cashed.

Edited by Treven

Speaking of its own point of view and uniqueness, I was quite amazed to discover, at least at that time, there was no Bank of America branches there. I had a check from BofA and couldn't cash it. I ended up going to one of those check cashing ripoff joints to cash my check. But at least I got it cashed.

Maybe with so many island based banks BoA decided not to open any branches in Hawaii.

When CVS bought Long's Drugs they kept that well respected brand name but on the mainland Long's became CVS.

Have we ever cruised together? If not, some day I'd like to meet you.

The Revealed Books are not that way off. So I did not see the need to send them an edit. I just wanted people to understand that Hawaii has a very special culture, not like on the mainland, even though we are a state. I know each state has its own uniqueness. I just believe that Hawaii has some very different point of views.

As for Gavan Daws...I had him as my professor at the University of Hawaii. He was so engaging. I sat in the Varsity Theater lectures...front row...because of his teaching style.

I sure hope you have made it over to Moloka'i since you are just around the corner. The tour is lead by the mayor of Kalaupapa. His message was to have as many visit while there are still residents living there. Have you tried to sign up for Barge Day when the residents of Maui go over to offload/load the Barge for the year?

A hui hou

I don't recall cruising together & hopefully someday our paths will cross.

I feel the same about the uniqueness of some things in Hawaii & whenever I travel anywhere in the world I learn about their culture & respect it. I appreciate you sharing the experiences of a displaced local girl and I can always learn more about Hawaii & it's culture. How lucky were you to have Gavan Daws as a professor at UH & it's nice to know about his enjoyable teaching style.

Thanks for the Moloka'i info but haven't gone to Kalaupapa yet because of the cost...hopefully someday before all of the Hansen's Disease patients are gone.

As Bruddah Iz said on his "live" CD...there are Hawaiians & Hawaiians at heart.

A hui hou, malama pono

Edited by Astro Flyer

With only a day on the each Island what a choice, if it was me on a cruise ( which I'd never do )

Should consider just renting a car and driving. YOu then have all the freedom and flexibility. You do want to do a helicopter either the Big Island or Kauai.

Oahu: Pearl Harbor and Polynesian Cultural Center. For me personally always do the Diamond Head hike in the early AM, love the North Shore Waimea bay and Canyon and a stop at famous Giovanni's. Then there is the magic of Waikiki beach for a surf lesson or a outboard canoe ride.

Hilo: Big Island is a challenge, I'd do the Volcanic Park by car/bus or helicopter. Probably pick my Luau here too.

Kauai: Waimea Canyon and the peak as well as the other end's hike are priceless. No question a cruise up the Na Pali is a good experience, but I'd do the Island as once you already be sailing by the coast? No question helicopter here is the most unique and beautiful, beside the big Island

Maui: Haleakala is a must IMHO, then a drive at least part if not all of Hana. I have to admit I've never done the whole drive even staying a week on the Island, find all these nice hikes off the road to waterfalls. Iao Valley is lovely short stop and hike as well.

That's the problem with the Hawaii Isls cruise, and that's all I got to do. It's like a Whitman's Sampler box of chocolates. All you're going to get is a sample taste of so many absolutely wonderful sites and experiences.

That's the problem with the Hawaii Isls cruise, and that's all I got to do. It's like a Whitman's Sampler box of chocolates. All you're going to get is a sample taste of so many absolutely wonderful sites and experiences.

Sounds like you need more boxes of chocolate (Hawaii cruises) to get more of a sample taste of the Islands...or to add a pre or post cruise visit. ;)

I know everyone says Pearl Harbor, but seriously, go to Pearl Harbor. That was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen with the ship itself still visible and the little oil bubbles coming up. So close to history!

I also feel it's a must see destination...Pearl Harbor signifies the start (USS Arizona) and the end of the war (USS Missouri).

Edited by Astro Flyer

True, but it is a great overview for first time visitors. We did a seven-nighter on the old S.S. Independence for our first trip to Hawaii, and came back the next year by air for a land-based vacation. We spent a week seeing the places by rental car that had appealed most to us on the cruise :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Sounds like you need more boxes of chocolate (Hawaii cruises) to get more of a sample taste of the Islands...or to add a pre or post cruise visit. ;)

When I did my cruise I did tack on a week in Honolulu so I did get to sample quite a bit of what Oahu had to offer. I realize the different islands each provide a different experience. Hopefully I'll be able to go back and have another/different box of chocolate.

Edited by Treven

When I did my cruise I did tack on a week in Honolulu so I did get to sample quite a bit of what Oahu had to offer. I realize the different islands each provide a different experience. Hopefully I'll be able to go back and have another/different box of chocolate.

If you got to the north shore of Oahu, then you have some idea of what the other islands offer. They are less crowded and more connected to nature than the Honolulu area. I enjoy Waikiki, but feel sorry for those who don't venture beyond it and go home thinking they have "seen" Hawaii :(.

grammar

If you got to the north shore of Oahu, then you have some idea of what the other islands offer. They are less crowded and more connected to nature than the Honolulu area. I enjoy Waikiki, but feel sorry for those who don't venture beyond it and go home thinking they have "seen" Hawaii :(.

We're sure this has been mentioned more than once, but ditto on the "seen" part for the people who have invested time and money to cruise the Hawaiian islands and then just walk around the port areas rather than seeing the islands.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

SoCal Cruiser, personally I was rather underwhelmed by the Waikiki area.:rolleyes:[/font

Me too. The locals never go there (except to surf and maybe dine). Same with Ala Moana Shopping Center. Very high end. Lost the local appeal.

There is so much off the straight and narrow. I think it is a fairly safe place to explore. Make a long list, prioritize, and you will be lucky if you get half done.

I go to eat. There are foodie tours, but you can do this on your own and save the big bucks. Just ask me.

So, just a suggestion for the islands.1. Kauai: Rent a car and go up to Waimea Canyon. Enjoy the views. Then go back around to the east side and check out the beaches. 2. Oahu: Go on the Pearl Harbor Arizona tour if you haven't been. Its worth seeing. If you have been on the Pearl Harbor tour then rent a car and head north. Stop at the Dole pineapple plantation and get a pineapple ice cream treat. Continue up north and check out the surfing activity. Going back around to the east side enjoy some of the beaches. Go back through the expressway through the tunnel and back to the rental car location. Catch a ride back to the ship, grab some snacks and change out anything you have for what you need for a walk around. Get the bus to Waikiki Beach area. Walk down the beach and enjoy the atmosphere. Stop at Dukes at the Outrigger. Try the Volcano. Catch a cab back to the ship. 3. Maui: Rent a car and head to the volcano. After that head to Ioa Needle Point Park and enjoy it. Next, take the car back and go to Lahaina and wonder around for as long as you have time.

4. The Big Island: Rent a car and visit Volcano National Park, then check out the blow holes and then drive north to the black sand beach area. If you have time check out the waterfalls that are to the east of Hilo.

Don't miss the ship all aboard! :cool:

Edited by ar1950

SoCal Cruiser, personally I was rather underwhelmed by the Waikiki area.:rolleyes:

I agree in general, but I usually stay at the Moana Surfrider or the Royal Hawaiian, both of which have an "old Hawaii" vibe to them, being built in 1901 and 1927 respectively. Both have great views of Diamond Head, and Duke's is right between the two :).

Oh yes! The pineapple ice cream at the Dole plantation is fantastic! Speaking of ice cream, there is an ice cream shop near the pier, where the tenders come in, in Lahaina that is wonderful too. On Kauai, there is a sugar plantation that is fun to visit. The mansion the owner built is beautiful and the outside patio is beautiful for having lunch and food is excellent! And there is a train to take a tour of the plantation on. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the sugar plantation.

Oh yes! The pineapple ice cream at the Dole plantation is fantastic! Speaking of ice cream, there is an ice cream shop near the pier, where the tenders come in, in Lahaina that is wonderful too.

That's Lappert's (Front St/Market St) located near the Lahaina tender pier & across the street from the Baldwin Home Museum.

Hilo Hattie's in the Outlets of Maui (Front St/Papalaua) now has the ono-licious Dole Pineapple Whip soft serve ice cream. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Oh yes! The pineapple ice cream at the Dole plantation is fantastic! Speaking of ice cream, there is an ice cream shop near the pier, where the tenders come in, in Lahaina that is wonderful too. On Kauai, there is a sugar plantation that is fun to visit. The mansion the owner built is beautiful and the outside patio is beautiful for having lunch and food is excellent! And there is a train to take a tour of the plantation on. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the sugar plantation.

That would be Lappert's.

And while I'm at it: Waiola Shave Ice in Honolulu (three locations). Best shave ice on the island (yes, better than Island Snow, Coconuts, and Matsumoto's).

Dole Pineapple Whip can be found at all Hilo Hatties too.

Sorry Astro Flyer...you beat me to it. Didn't see your post when I started.

Edited by cr8tiv1