Hawaii excursions...

Oceansurfcb

That would be Lappert's.

And while I'm at it: Waiola Shave Ice in Honolulu (three locations). Best shave ice on the island (yes, better than Island Snow, Coconuts, and Matsumoto's).

Dole Pineapple Whip can be found at all Hilo Hatties too.

Sorry Astro Flyer...you beat me to it. Didn't see your post when I started.

No problem ;)

I never saw either of the Maui Hilo Hattie's having Dole Whip (only their tropical punch) until they closed the Kihei store & now they have it at their Lahaina "Outlets of Maui" location. Years ago there was someplace on Maui that had Dole Whip but nothing I've found again until now. It will definitely be on my things to do when we drive there from South Maui. One of the tourists guides has a free small size coupon but that was too small for me & next time I'll buy a large! :)

I won't weigh in on much of anything other than Maui, because that's where I've spent the most time. I've never been on the Atlantis submarine, but have heard nothing good about it. There are probably dozens of better things to do on Maui with part of one day.

Some examples:

-- Rent a car and explore. This may be the best place you can cruise to to just get a car and go. There's great stuff everywhere you look, and some of the following suggestions will assume you have a car.

-- Go to Lahaina for the day and just hang out, shop and have lunch. Many people fall in love with Lahaina. It's pretty and has interesting shops, great restaurants, museums.

-- Go by Snorkel Bob's and rent gear for the day. (Maui snorkeling is generally better than Kauai.) Then go north to Kapalua Bay, a beautiful beach with nice snorkeling and generally calm water.

-- Head north to Paia, where there are fun shops and restaurants, and nearby, you'll find Hookipa, the wind-surfing capital of the world. From there, you can take part of the road to Hana. When time gets tight, turn around and head back.

-- Go to the upcountry, the elevated, inland portion of the southeast part of the island. It's much cooler there and there are dairies, a winery, Hawaiian cow towns, art galleries, amazing views and, if you want to spend the time, Haleakala. Just be aware the big draw at Haleakala is sunrise -- or sunset -- and that won't be an option on a cruise day.

-- Heading south from Lahaina, there are a dozen or more beaches in Kihei, Wailea and Makena. Depending on the time of year and other factors, you might be able to snorkel, body surf, boogie board, laze on the beach. Often all on the same day at the same beach.

I could rattle on for six or eight more paragraphs, but you get the idea. There are so many things to do on Maui -- many of them free except for the car -- that the Atlantis submarine seems a waste of time and money to me.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

that the Atlantis submarine seems a waste of time and money to me.

Never have been on one...lack of interest. There must be dozens of those things halfway across the oceans.

I've scuba dived many times & was disappointed with the time I went on the Atlantis sub in Lahaina. It was a cheap kama'aina rate to go with visiting friends & it lacked sufficient lighting from the sub to see any colors which wash out at that depth.

If I ever use a cheap rate to go again it will be to see the old brig Carthaginian that was sunk for the Atlantis sub tours. That was the old sailing ship that was modified for a movie (Hawaiians?) to resemble a whaler & was at the Lahaina Harbor for decades (and is still visible in some paintings). It was not economically feasible to repair it & instead it become an underwater artificial reef & site to see from the sub.

Where do you recommend renting a car? Are there any rental shops in Lahaina? Or do you have to take a cab out to the airport or the hotel area to rent a car?

I won't weigh in on much of anything other than Maui, because that's where I've spent the most time. I've never been on the Atlantis submarine, but have heard nothing good about it. There are probably dozens of better things to do on Maui with part of one day.

Some examples:

-- Rent a car and explore. This may be the best place you can cruise to to just get a car and go. There's great stuff everywhere you look, and some of the following suggestions will assume you have a car.

-- Go to Lahaina for the day and just hang out, shop and have lunch. Many people fall in love with Lahaina. It's pretty and has interesting shops, great restaurants, museums.

-- Go by Snorkel Bob's and rent gear for the day. (Maui snorkeling is generally better than Kauai.) Then go north to Kapalua Bay, a beautiful beach with nice snorkeling and generally calm water.

-- Head north to Paia, where there are fun shops and restaurants, and nearby, you'll find Hookipa, the wind-surfing capital of the world. From there, you can take part of the road to Hana. When time gets tight, turn around and head back.

-- Go to the upcountry, the elevated, inland portion of the southeast part of the island. It's much cooler there and there are dairies, a winery, Hawaiian cow towns, art galleries, amazing views and, if you want to spend the time, Haleakala. Just be aware the big draw at Haleakala is sunrise -- or sunset -- and that won't be an option on a cruise day.

-- Heading south from Lahaina, there are a dozen or more beaches in Kihei, Wailea and Makena. Depending on the time of year and other factors, you might be able to snorkel, body surf, boogie board, laze on the beach. Often all on the same day at the same beach.

I could rattle on for six or eight more paragraphs, but you get the idea. There are so many things to do on Maui -- many of them free except for the car -- that the Atlantis submarine seems a waste of time and money to me.

Jim

That's unfortunate, but that's business.

Hi Treven !!

It is so sad for us about Hilo Hatties, because we love going there. I wanted to get some more mugs, and the men's rayon Hawaii shirts are great. Overpriced, but he loves them.

My father was a 19 year old sailor based on the Medusa at Pearl. His ship was moored on the other side of Ford Island that day. He was at the hangar that morning in dive school. He was part of the team sent to rescue trapped men on the Oklahoma.

He would never talk about it until the year before he died--2009. He said he could hear the screams of the ones they couldn't save all his life.

Patti

Where do you recommend renting a car? Are there any rental shops in Lahaina? Or do you have to take a cab out to the airport or the hotel area to rent a car?

Discount Hawaii Car Rental. It's probably the best car rental agency I've dealt with. They have some way to connect with passengers right off the cruise ships, whether it's Lahaina or Kahului, but I'm not sure how that works.

You plug in all your info on their website and within an hour or so, they tell you what deal they've come up with. You can take it or leave it. Could be Hertz, could be whatever.

Jim

My father was a 19 year old sailor based on the Medusa at Pearl. His ship was moored on the other side of Ford Island that day. He was at the hangar that morning in dive school. He was part of the team sent to rescue trapped men on the Oklahoma.

He would never talk about it until the year before he died--2009. He said he could hear the screams of the ones they couldn't save all his life.

Patti [/size]

What horror your father experienced as a Pearl Harbor Survivor. :(

My first time to Hawaii was arriving at dawn on the USS Midway circling around Ford Island 30 years after the attack & even that is forever etched in my memory. I have a treasured souvenir of a flag that flew over the Arizona Memorial on the 61st anniversary of that date that will live in infamy.

As a side bar, as Hilo Hattie's sounds like it's down for the count can any of you recommend where I might find some good luau shirts?[/color][/size][/font]

Costco has good Jamaica Jaxx washable silk Aloha shirts for under $20 and Sears has a wider variety of both more & less expensive shirts. ABC Stores & Whalers General Store also sell shirts.

There are still Hilo Hattie's stores but only in Honolulu, Lahaina & Kauai.

At the Shops of Wailea there is a Tommy Bahamas restaurant which I believe also has a gift shop.

Less expensive shirts are also available at Target, Walmart & Kmart.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi Pat, how's Mike?

As a side bar, as Hilo Hattie's sounds like it's down for the count can any of you recommend where I might find some good luau shirts?

Don't forget the "Cooke Street" brand aloha shirts (also at Costco). They are made in Hawaii and are 100% cotton. They iron easily.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Don't forget the "Cooke Street" brand aloha shirts (also at Costco). They are made in Hawaii and are 100% cotton. They iron easily.

Oh, I threw my iron & ironing board out a number of years ago. I don't buy anything that I can't take right out of the dryer, still damp, and hang up. For clarification, that's the shirts still damp, not me.:D

Edited by Treven

Oh, I threw my iron & ironing board out a number of years ago. I don't buy anything that I can't take right out of the dryer, still damp, and hang up. For clarification, that's the shirts still damp, not me.:D

A great thought, to be sure, but that's a recipe for mildew around here (your shirts, not you).

What is the Polynesian Cultural Center, what do you see and do there?

Thanks!!!

It's in the upper NE corner of Oahu and run by the Mormon Church (so if you do see the show == which might be a better thing to do while on a land trip so you don't miss the ship == expect to get some references to the Church) which has a campus of BYU right there. I went to it while on my first trip to Hawaii. The Tauck tour we were on gave a choice of a ritzy restaurant or a trip to the PCC so my friend and I selected getting on a bus with people from other tours for the 70 to 90 minute ride up there. You can pay extra for the luau but that's more of a dinner than a true luau. During the day, you can walk from "village" to "village" and learn about a tradition or craft. At night, there's a spectacular show. No alcohol is served at all.

http://www.polynesia.com/

Costco has good Jamaica Jaxx washable silk Aloha shirts for under $20 and Sears has a wider variety of both more & less expensive shirts. ABC Stores & Whalers General Store also sell shirts.

There are still Hilo Hattie's stores but only in Honolulu, Lahaina & Kauai.

At the Shops of Wailea there is a Tommy Bahamas restaurant which I believe also has a gift shop.

Less expensive shirts are also available at Target, Walmart & Kmart.

Ant suggestions for places to get good Aloha shirts on Maui?

I am especially interested in cotton shirts.

Ant suggestions for places to get good Aloha shirts on Maui?

I am especially interested in cotton shirts.

I agree that the Cooke Street 100% cotton shirts at Costco are good Aloha shirts & at about $20 at a great price.

There are more expensive 100% cotton Aloha shirts such as Tori Richard & Reyn Spooner that I've bought at Sears. However you cannot beat the Cooke Street price at Costco for Aloha shirts that I've worn for decades.

My Tommy Bahama 100% silk shirts were bought whenever Costco has them available at a great price. The Jamaica Jaxx 100% silk shirts at Costco feel the same to me as 100% cotton shirts.

I've read that over 80% of those living on Maui are Costco members...great prices on quality items plus a big savings on gasoline. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

What is the Polynesian Cultural Center, what do you see and do there?
It's a long distance from Waikiki (34 miles/1 hr drive), but it's a good opportunity to see the history of Hawaii and the people who live there. The night show was my highlight...

U5n6vUceBjU ADdDVsIYbls oW3pnLy-OIc dAbexBZiJY8

https://www.youtube.com/user/polynesiancultural/videos

It's a long distance from Waikiki (34 miles/1 hr drive), but it's a good opportunity to see the history of Hawaii and the people who live there. The night show was my highlight...

A slight clarification. The villages represent Polynesia and not "Hawaii". Although, the peoples from Polynesia (who came from Taiwan) were the ones that set sail for the islands.

If you are really interested in more history, follow the Hokulea.

http://www.hokulea.com

They are on a round the world voyage.

It is a very "risky" visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center when the ship is in port if you stay for the luau and night entertainment. The road is dark, narrow, and sometimes can be closed because of weather or an accident.

If you are headed to Dole Plantation and the North Shore, stop and visit the Waipahu Sugar Plantation Village.

http://www.hawaiiplantationvillage.org

or the Bishop Museum

http://www.bishopmuseum.org

My first time to Hawaii was arriving at dawn on the USS Midway circling around Ford Island 30 years after the attack & even that is forever etched in my memory. I have a treasured souvenir of a flag that flew over the Arizona Memorial on the 61st anniversary of that date that will live in infamy.

What an awesome treasure !

Hi Pat, how's Mike?

Thanks for asking. He has wrecked knees again. Still trying to find the best solution. However, we are booked for Hawaii again, and waiting for Alaska 2017. :D

Patti

I agree that the Cooke Street 100% cotton shirts at Costco are good Aloha shirts & at about $20 at a great price.

There are more expensive 100% cotton Aloha shirts such as Tori Richard & Reyn Spooner that I've bought at Sears. However you cannot beat the Cooke Street price at Costco for Aloha shirts that I've worn for decades.

My Tommy Bahama 100% silk shirts were bought whenever Costco has them available at a great price. The Jamaica Jaxx 100% silk shirts at Costco feel the same to me as 100% cotton shirts.

I've read that over 80% of those living on Maui are Costco members...great prices on quality items plus a big savings on gasoline. :)

For what it's worth, as a "fluffy" cruiser, looking to replace my aloha shirts, I did find Big and Tall selections online only at Tori Richards and Tommy Bahama.

What an awesome treasure !

Thanks for asking. He has wrecked knees again. Still trying to find the best solution. However, we are booked for Hawaii again, and waiting for Alaska 2017. :D

Patti

When in 2017 and what's your itenerary?

That's too bad about his knees; at least he hasn't broken his hand again catching baseballs. As a matter of fact, I'm watching SF vs SD on TV right now.

When in 2017 and what's your itenerary?

That's too bad about his knees; at least he hasn't broken his hand again catching baseballs. As a matter of fact, I'm watching SF vs SD on TV right now.

We are thinking around August 2017 RT SF. I think it is the Grand sailing the Inside Passage.

I really want a cruise that includes Sitka, but those involve more than I'm able to do. :)

Patti

We are thinking around August 2017 RT SF. I think it is the Grand sailing the Inside Passage.

I really want a cruise that includes Sitka, but those involve more than I'm able to do. :)

Patti

When do you think Princess will come out with the itineraries for '17?