Aqua Class Benefits - Where's the Beef?

soxfan2013

To the OP. On your list of amenities, from "Twice Daily Service" thru the next six items, those are all available in every cabin on every ship, not just Aqua Class.

Thanks for the info...all the more reason why the "beef" is in Blu and everything else is basically marshmellow...unless there's a good promo that provides valuable incremental benefits to Concierge/Aqua bookings....but Blu, despite it's extensive culinary and service shortcomings, is a significant difference maker, IMO.

OP,

If this is true (and I believe it is), what did you do with your children who were traveling with you?

In this case, we booked an adjoining room and they were able to open the balcony dividers, which was great.

We wouldn't have booked a separate room for the kids (8 and 9) if we didn't have to, but we were a last minute booking and this was the only option. We felt very fortunate to get three adjoining rooms together in Aqua for a reasonable price.

In retrospect, the cost for kids in the same room, in a Veranda or CC room, would have been $599/each. The difference in price for them to have their own room, which they greatly enjoyed as did we, turns out to have been a wise decision, although we didn't have an option: it was take these rooms or don't go...but in the end, I'm glad we didn't have a choice and I would book this way again...although I might look into putting the cost of including the kids in a suite, of that was available.

In this case, we booked an adjoining room and they were able to open the balcony dividers, which was great.

We wouldn't have booked a separate room for the kids (8 and 9) if we didn't have to, but we were a last minute booking and this was the only option. We felt very fortunate to get three adjoining rooms together in Aqua for a reasonable price.

In retrospect, the cost for kids in the same room, in a Veranda or CC room, would have been $599/each. The difference in price for them to have their own room, which they greatly enjoyed as did we, turns out to have been a wise decision, although we didn't have an option: it was take these rooms or don't go...but in the end, I'm glad we didn't have a choice and I would book this way again...although I might look into putting the cost of including the kids in a suite, of that was available.

By the way

In Blu, there was a baby in the table next to us one evening

They were staying in a suite

By the way

In Blu, there was a baby in the table next to us one evening. They were staying in a suite.

Obv, it's not that kids aren't allowed...we had kids...it's just that out of practicality, the defacto reality is that there are few. On our past cruise, our kids were the only kids in Blu at any time. There was a suite family with 2 kids...I presume they ate in Luminae.

BTW, I forgot to mention one other benefit of AQ (and CC) is that you get a bottle of Celebrity Champagne which you can either drink (so so) or exchange for a $35 credit towards an upgrade on a bottle of wine at dinner.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to the rest of the posters who have contributed their thoughts/experiences. We've been wanting to try Aqua class, but couldn't justify the higher cost. (We've sailed with Celebrity twice so far, both times in Veranda cabins.) A few months ago, we booked a 5-night cruise on the Constellation for December, and we decided to try Concierge class since it didn't cost much more than Veranda when we initially booked. But my hubby happened to check online today and saw there was a price drop - with Aqua class now costing only $20 more per person than what we had originally paid for Concierge. I have no idea if they would have given any type of credit for our existing reservation, but I asked if we could upgrade to Aqua for the $20pp difference...and they let us do it!

I'm looking forward to experiencing Aqua class and Blu, and I appreciate the feedback here which has helped to set our expectations. Thanks again!

~ Shay

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to the rest of the posters who have contributed their thoughts/experiences. We've been wanting to try Aqua class, but couldn't justify the higher cost. (We've sailed with Celebrity twice so far, both times in Veranda cabins.) A few months ago, we booked a 5-night cruise on the Constellation for December, and we decided to try Concierge class since it didn't cost much more than Veranda when we initially booked. But my hubby happened to check online today and saw there was a price drop - with Aqua class now costing only $20 more per person than what we had originally paid for Concierge. I have no idea if they would have given any type of credit for our existing reservation, but I asked if we could upgrade to Aqua for the $20pp difference...and they let us do it!

I'm looking forward to experiencing Aqua class and Blu, and I appreciate the feedback here which has helped to set our expectations. Thanks again!

~ Shay

1 has to keep in mind, very few cruisers are on Cruise Critic.....When we have sailed Aqua class twice, and talk with others (which is not a lot as we enjoy each others company) most really enjoy it! No stress about sitting with others (unless u want to), eat when u want to eat (you do find that many eat at the same time each night and like to sit in the same general area---especially if they like the wait staff) We have no issues with the food, not near as good as my moms or grandmothers, but have yet to find any place that lives up to that,lol

Some perspectives about the "upgraded" amenities/benefits of Aqua Class off recent cruise on Summit:

* Only reason to book Aqua Class : Blu -- despite our disappointment with the food and service at Blu (by service, I mean the speed of service/attentiveness, not the attitudes of the restaurant staff, which were universally great, from the top down)...Blue is still way better, to us, than eating in a main dining room. The intimacy and ambiance, as well as personalization, makes for a nice experience...just wish the food lived up. Other benefit is no kids in Blu...not by rule, but because Aqua Class rooms only allow 2 people per room and most kids on the ship are in rooms with more than 2 people (i.e., sharing room with parents).

Other "Benefits"

* Beds/Pillows - I did not think the beds were anything special, the linens were not so soft, and the down pillows not so dreamy.

* Upgraded Bathroom Amenities - please, just generic (non-branded) shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, body wash, and lip balm. I guess it's upgraded vs. having nothing or fewer items.

* Plush Bathrobe - nice, wore it a couple of times, not a reason to pay for Aqua Class.

* Priority Boarding...hmm, we were docked in Bermuda the whole time and we also don't tend to try to be the first off in the morning, so this isn't impt to us.

* Complimentary Bottled Water -- this is a reasonably nice benefit as we didn't have to go get water...although it should be generally available.

* Free access to Persian Gardens - nice on S class, but small, dark and disappointing on M class (no view). Still, only used once or twice on S class and never on M class.

* Concierge - not sure what concierge there was or how he/she could have been more helpful or less helpful than whatever other service we would have received.

* Canapes: yuck.

* Twice Daily Service (makeup and turndown) - if other rooms don't have turndown and provide fresh towels every evening, then this would be an issue/benefit to us.

* 24 hour Complimentary Room Service - I did order a club sandwich late one night...should be a standard offering.

* Hair dryer - listed as an amenity and it's very disfunctional.

* Private Mini-bar - huh, this is a benefit?

* Interactive Samsung flat-screen television system to view and select shore excursions, order room service, and watch movies - ??? of course.

* Private Safe - should be standard

* Dual voltage 110/220AC outlets - should be standard, can't believe this is listed s a benefit.

* A Personal Spa Concierge to Arrange Spa Treatments - ??? don;t you just pick up the phone call the spa desk -- now, if it came w a 20% discount off spa services...

* Hansgrohe® shower panel -- not meaningful to us

* Fog-free mirror - this is weird, the mirror was loosely placed on the shelf next to desk?

We only book AQ if the price is the same as cc class. We also do not love Blu, and eat mostly in speciality dining rooms 5 out of 7 nights and sometimes we get unlimited speciality dining. We do not use the stone beds in the spa, nor enjoy the tea or canapes agree yuk- As you say guests should get some real benefits, such as spa service discounts. We do like the extra points and priority boarding- but we are elite plus and probably would get priority boarding anyway. Cabins the same size as the regular balcony and cc class cabins on the S class ships. Larger I believe on the M class, so that is an advantage. Also, many of the AQ cabins are under the gym- poor location! Do not select a room under the bikes or any other equipment- best location is under the hair salon or indoor pool area.

BTW, I forgot to mention one other benefit of AQ (and CC) is that you get a bottle of Celebrity Champagne which you can either drink (so so) or exchange for a $35 credit towards an upgrade on a bottle of wine at dinner.

I did not know you could do this. To whom do you speak to make it happen?

not "many" of the Aqua rooms are under the gym.....Head to the Aqua2 room which are back aft..very quiet and less $$$ than Aqua 1. Really not that much more walk..ur on a ship!! lol And yes with people with mobility issues it may be a factor.

I did not know you could do this. To whom do you speak to make it happen?

Just bring your bottle to the restaurant and give it to the sommelier...didn't take any explaining...Elvis was enthusiastic and supportive (yes, that the name of the very cheery sommelier in Blu on the Summit).

I tried to inquire from the "Concierge" in advance to no avail...she seemed to think it was possible but had no idea abt the value. Now we know, it's worth $35 in credit towards any different bottle of wine or champagne on the wine list.

Only "condition" was that I couldn't get a 20% discount on the replacement bottle based on my premium drink package...still a net benefit.

Just bring your bottle to the restaurant and give it to the sommelier...didn't take any explaining...Elvis was enthusiastic and supportive (yes, that the name of the very cheery sommelier in Blu on the Summit).

I tried to inquire from the "Concierge" in advance to no avail...she seemed to think it was possible but had no idea abt the value. Now we know, it's worth $35 in credit towards any different bottle of wine or champagne on the wine list.

Only "condition" was that I couldn't get a 20% discount on the replacement bottle based on my premium drink package...still a net benefit.

It has been reported on here that it doesnt always work..or 1 has to go up the chain of command to get the credit. On our recent British Isles cruise on the Silhoutte (Aug 8-22) we had a bottle of White wine..just left it for our attendants.

It has been reported on here that it doesnt always work..or 1 has to go up the chain of command to get the credit. On our recent British Isles cruise on the Silhoutte (Aug 8-22) we had a bottle of White wine..just left it for our attendants.

I hear you...but even the somewhat clueless "Concierge" seemed to know that it was doable, it was just that she was ambiguous on the amount...but she still said that we could exchange it and just told us to take the bottle to the restaurant. I could possibly see one sommelier improvising...but not the guest services operator...but who knows...maybe this policy has been formalized...?

I hear you...but even the somewhat clueless "Concierge" seemed to know that it was doable, it was just that she was ambiguous on the amount...but she still said that we could exchange it and just told us to take the bottle to the restaurant. I could possibly see one sommelier improvising...but not the guest services operator...but who knows...maybe this policy has been formalized...?

1 of this things that seems to vary from ship to ship.....people that know that it can be done--are from cruise critic,lol

1 of this things that seems to vary from ship to ship.....people that know that it can be done--are from cruise critic,lol

On the last day, I saw a bottle of champers in an ice bucket on the steward's cart, so obviously the ppl in that cabin don't read CruiseCritic...

Silly question: could I ask for the fruity daily teas to be substituted with regular old brewed iced tea? I'm generally not a high maintenance traveller so I'm not sure how picky this seems.

I don't think requesting a different tea makes you high maintenance. I'm sure they'd be happy to bring you the regular tea. Just ask.

As far as AQ goes, we like it! For us, BLU is the main reason for booking AQ. I like the atmosphere, and I don't have to pack a suit or tux for the middle-aged prom at sea. We've found the food to be decent. I especially like breakfast in BLU, as its generally faster than eating in the buffet, and much less frenetic. We haven't set foot in the MDR for the last four cruises.

Interesting that some see the overhang as something to be avoided. I seek out cabins with the overhang. I like to be out on the balcony during the day, reading and relaxing, without roasting in the direct sunlight.

I had several bad experiences in the MDR when I was the "filler" at tables with 5 or 7 fellow passengers traveling together. I was clearly not wanted and by one table, basically told I was an "intrusion" in their vacation. Yes, I tried to change tables, but no luck. I figured I would rather eat by myself at a table for two in Blu than be ignored by my supposed table mates in the MDR. Blu turned out to be a delight. .

What did they say and what did you do when told to leave? How was it handled?

Edited by Jade13

I remember Elvis! "Cheers!"

He always greeted us even though we never ordered wine and graciously removed the wine glasses. Summit's Blu had the BEST staff and we thought the food was excellent! We are total converts to Celebrity Aqua. My husband - who thought the idea of Blu serving "clean" food was appalling - was converted to it by the third night. The bottled water, large overhang and reclining balcony chairs were also nice. The rest we just don't care about. Being select from our time on RCL was also very much appreciated.

What did they say and what did you do when told to leave? How was it handled?

I wasn't asked to leave. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of "we thought our table was to be ours alone as we are a family of 5 traveling together and prefer to dine by ourselves." I went to the dining room manager and repeated the quote. He had no options for me but any time dining. The ship was completely sold out and there was a waiting list for late dining. In retrospect, anytime is what I should have done. The saving grace was the 15 year old grandaughter (the comment came from grandma) who was so bored she would have talked to a fish if it had been seated next to her. They weren't there on formal nights and could not be bothered to tell me they weren't going to be there. At least one other night, the parents weren't there and grandpa made a feeble attempt at conversation. Grandma was the real problem and she made her displeasure known both verbally and non-verbally. Lesson learned and my next cruise was in Aqua.

I don't think requesting a different tea makes you high maintenance. I'm sure they'd be happy to bring you the regular tea. Just ask.

As far as AQ goes, we like it! For us, BLU is the main reason for booking AQ. I like the atmosphere, and I don't have to pack a suit or tux for the middle-aged prom at sea. We've found the food to be decent. I especially like breakfast in BLU, as its generally faster than eating in the buffet, and much less frenetic. We haven't set foot in the MDR for the last four cruises.

Interesting that some see the overhang as something to be avoided. I seek out cabins with the overhang. I like to be out on the balcony during the day, reading and relaxing, without roasting in the direct sunlight.

Thanks for the feedback on the tea request.

(Incidentally, my first cruise on Celeb will be in one of those "overhang" AQ staterooms, at least if I did my research right (in the 1650s range on Eclipse). "Roasting in the sun" is the exact phrasing I use ... For the thing I want to avoid.)

Thanks for the feedback on the tea request.

(Incidentally, my first cruise on Celeb will be in one of those "overhang" AQ staterooms, at least if I did my research right (in the 1650s range on Eclipse). "Roasting in the sun" is the exact phrasing I use ... For the thing I want to avoid.)

I was in 1650 on the Silhoutte--the last AQ room, then it went Concierge....I was fine with the overhang, sat outside and read my book...only negative part was the idiots on deck 12, that thought it was ok to spit!

We only book AQ if the price is the same as cc class. We also do not love Blu, and eat mostly in speciality dining rooms 5 out of 7 nights and sometimes we get unlimited speciality dining. We do not use the stone beds in the spa, nor enjoy the tea or canapes agree yuk- As you say guests should get some real benefits, such as spa service discounts. We do like the extra points and priority boarding- but we are elite plus and probably would get priority boarding anyway. Cabins the same size as the regular balcony and cc class cabins on the S class ships. Larger I believe on the M class, so that is an advantage. Also, many of the AQ cabins are under the gym- poor location! Do not select a room under the bikes or any other equipment- best location is under the hair salon or indoor pool area.

Totally agree. AQ is not a step up for us = cabin location is. First priority is Concierge and location or balcony and location. We always cruise with friends (since 2006) and would really not fit in with Blu (we have way too much fun plus our friends are all over the ship ie not in AQ) Always get a great table in the MDR with great waiters and it is the highlight of our day. I think that even at some point in time that DH and I happened to cruise by ourselves, would still opt for early traditional at a 6-8 top in the MDR. We have never been disappointed in the food and rarely (if ever) go to specialty restaurants - unless we are on the Silhouette cause then we have to go to the LCG lol