Beer Brewing onboard any ships?

UntrainedBrain

Are any of the cruise lines doing onboard beer brewing?

Just curious and I understand that brewing laws can be a pain. The ship can boil water which means they can make beer onboard.

Sure some beers would take a few weeks to make and some beers could be finished in a few days. But what a great way to cruise by being able to have good fresh "local" brew while you are sailing.

-Race

Does beer taste different after a week in a bottle?

Well, that depends on the beer and how it is bottled or kegged.

Ale or Beers that are made in small, say 1 barrel, 31 gallons, 248 pints can have a very different taste if it kept under controlled temperatures.

Depending on manufacturing some beer is pasteurized for bottling/canning. Cases/kegs that get hot on the way to the ship can change too.

I was thinking more of a shipboard activity and result that can be drunk too. So you can help make this weeks beer/ale and enjoy last week's brew. Passengers could learn something (you could sell classes) and enjoy some different ales brewed in small batches. Don't need to bottle cause you can keg carbonate in about 2 days in the cold.

Ship board activity (cash in), something to talk about, sell some of the product (cash). Builds loyalty?

It will be interesting to see how a brewery on board works with humidity and smell containment.

NCL's new Escape will have a "brewhouse", but I don't think it's brewing on site. Will be instead serving Miami's Wynwood beers in an exclusive partnership. I like Wynwood a lot, but am bummed Carnival has the exclusive with Tobacco Road. It's all a very good trend I'm excited about. LOOONG overdue.

The Carnival Vista is definitely having a brewpub on board and I read just a month ago that the massive brew kettles being lifted in soon , heres the rendering:

635580281473533368-CL-VS-RedFrogPub-02-Ren.jpg

Hopefully there will produce some good beers as Thirstyfrog Red beer is horrible.

I would like to add that 'fresher' beer especially from a tap is often less fizzy than its bottled friends which in my opinion makes for a better taste. This is especially true for English style ales and certain Belgian types. One of the few 'Fresh' beers still in mainstream in production is a Finnish 'Sahti' which has a short shelf life due to its brewing process and is generally not transported far because it 'goes off'. That means you gotta be on a Baltic cruise to try the real thing. ;)

Yes I like non fizzy beer sometimes...I am from an English village. :D

Edited by Velvetwater