First Cruise on Princess

volmoma

Just booked our first cruise with Princess. It's on the Regal. Any suggestions as to what NOT to miss??? We're surprising our 7 year old granddaughter, she has no clue Nana and Papaw are cruising with her. We plan on keeping her several nights where mom and dad can enjoy some adult time. We have cruised many times before, so we understand the ins and outs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. [emoji267][emoji41][emoji295]️

Edited by volmoma

Here's a couple don't miss things. Fiera, the production show in the theater and the Photo Gallery on all the cabin decks. Those photos were taken by Princess passengers and entered in a contest. I love the Regal :)

Thank you!! We love to sit and listen to a good live band. We also like any type music. 60's, 70's etc. Any suggestions??

If you love the buffet pizza on other cruise lines, the Regal Princess also has it on their lido deck. However, you don't want to miss Alfredo's Pizzeria. It's a sit down pizza place (although I think you may be able to get pizza to go), on deck 6 open from 11am - 11pm. It's delicious and one of my favorite reasons to go on a Princess cruise.

The International Cafe is another favorite. They're open 24 hours a day on deck 5 and serve sandwiches, desserts (usually different everyday :)), soups, drinks, etc. You can also get a coffee card if you would like.

What eateries are there charges for??? We were on the Sunshine a few weeks ago, several places served lunch free and charged a fee for dinner. I've tried to find this info on Princess web site, but no luck. I may just be looking in the wrong place.

Edited by volmoma

What eateries are there charges for??? We were on the Sunshine a few weeks ago, several places served lunch free and charged a fee for dinner. I've tried to find this info on Princess web site, but no luck. I may just be looking in the wrong place.

This will have the info you want: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

It is on the Princess website, when you click on "ships and experience." In fact, you might want to check out this tab and the various pages.

This will have the info you want: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

It is on the Princess website' date=' when you click on "ships and experience." In fact, you might want to check out this tab and the various pages.[/quote']

Thank you ! Very helpful!!

Edited by volmoma

I LOVE the Regal. She has some beautiful artwork and photos. I enjoyed walking the halls on all floors looking at the pictures that were submitted by fellow cruisers.

Your granddaughter will love MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) on the big screen with snacks!

Thank you!! We love to sit and listen to a good live band. We also like any type music. 60's, 70's etc. Any suggestions??

There is pretty much always a rock 'n' roll night once per week. Watch for it in the Patter. Maybe there'll be two events much the same. The Princess Patter comes out every evening. We usually take it to dinner to talk about the next day and we have the current one to plot out our evening activities post-dinner.

The $40 Winemakers Dinner in the "wine cellar" area of the anytime dining rooms is good. Like the Chef's Table it's limited participation so call the DINE line when you board the ship if you're interested in it.

It's a set meal for about a dozen passengers with free flowing wine and is about a third of the cost of the $115 Chef's Table.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1939851

Here's a link to some Royal menus but the dining room menus have had changes since these were posted but some items are the same.

http://www.beyondships2.com/royal-princess-menus.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Your granddaughter might enjoy the nightly fountain/light show by the pool as something fun. We signed up for a week in the Enclave (not to be confused with Sanctuary) which we thought was a very reasonably priced adults-only area in the Lotus spa; a very large jetted hydro pool with heated tile beds, saunas, multi-headed cooling showers etc and open until 10 PM nightly - very nice after a long day in port. On the practical side, Princess has Laundromats available on each floor with a vending machine for laundry soap so you don't need to pack your own. What a marvelous trip - have a great time!

Edited by LoriPhil

What eateries are there charges for???

Free:

The MDR's, one open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days, plus dinner every night

International Cafe open 24/7

Alfredo's, waiter served individual pizza plus some other selections open 11am to 11pm every day.

Pub Lunch at the Wheelhouse Bar.

Horizon Ct./Horizon Bistro/Pastry Shop buffet area at least one or more sections open from 5am until 11pm or maybe midnight, never closes.

Trident Grill, Prego Pizza (pizza by the slice), & Swirls soft Ice Cream on the Lido deck open from 11am to 11pm.

Afternoon Tea most days in one DR.

Surcharge Dining:

Crown Grill & Sabatini's $25/pp

Crab Shack (buckets of seafood) held in a seating section of the buffet area, $20/pp

Gelato, small charge, or use a punch on a coffee card

Espresso Bar at the International Cafe, Cost for espresso drinks or purchase a coffee card.

Ocean Terrace Seafood bar, menu item priced.

Chef's Table $115/pp, I think. Sign up soon after boarding.

Wine Maker's Dinner, I think it is $40/pp

Ultimate Balcony Dining both Breakfast & Dinner $32/couple Breakfast, $100/couple Dinner

All surcharge dining Reservations are made once on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the venue.

Now thats for sure not worth it now. :( Too much fish.

Just a nice RS order or a trip to the HC would suffice for us.

I feel the same way & when it was the price of the $32 half bottle of champagne that wasn't too bad.

We had it only one time & the stacks of food piled in our cabin was too much for us to eat. It was a seaday and was much too windy for us to fully enjoy it on our balcony. We've had much better luck with weather for our UBDs during sailaway or an evening in port.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you, I've read somewhere that there was a $3 service charge for room service, is this correct?

The $3 fee is only for room service pizza no matter how many pizzas you ordered...no fee for any other room service deliveries & we usually give them a small cash tip.

The reason I've read for implementing the $3 pizza delivery fee was because too much of it was being wasted.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you love the buffet pizza on other cruise lines, the Regal Princess also has it on their lido deck. However, you don't want to miss Alfredo's Pizzeria. It's a sit down pizza place (although I think you may be able to get pizza to go), on deck 6 open from 11am - 11pm. It's delicious and one of my favorite reasons to go on a Princess cruise.

The International Cafe is another favorite. They're open 24 hours a day on deck 5 and serve sandwiches, desserts (usually different everyday :)), soups, drinks, etc. You can also get a coffee card if you would like.

No. Eat-in only