no overnight in Istanbul

el barco

Celebrity Reflection - sailing 12 Oct from Rome.

Just received a call from our travel agent - our overnight visit to Istanbul has been cancelled.

We are now overnighting in Athens, and calling at Rhodes and Crete.

Mixed feelings at the moment as we booked this cruise for the Istanbul stop - our first visit. Rhodes and Crete are more run of the mill (been there for family holidays) - Sicily would have been interesting...

don't complain as you at least got another port. On the 10/23 Connie we only got another sea day (4th ) on a 12 day cruise. Oh, X gave us a few additional hours in Kusadasi & Malta( useless).

I am also on the 10/23 cruise. I think Celebrity made the right decision given the information at hand.

As far as an extra sea day, I can live with that. Much better being on a cruise ship in the Easter Med than at work anywhere.

If they really think they had to cancel the overnight at least give us another port rather than another sea day. Our 12 day cruise already has 3 of them. Either give us an overnight in Haifa or add Izmir which is not much out of the way before Kusadasi.

Extra hours in Kusadasi can be used to fight off the beggers near the ship or maybe argue with the fast talking "merchants". It is a shame you are missing Istanbul, it was a highlight of our Med cruise a few years ago. Seeing the ruins at Ephasis was great too but once we got back to Kusadasi the beggers and merchants were so annoying we simply went back to the ship and put our feet up for an extra hour

For what it is worth Celebrity is being prudent. After the attack on the US consulate in Instabul and with Tukrey joining the fight against ISIS. The State department has issued travel warnings and the US Armed forces is allowing dependents to go home voluntarily. There is a lot of concern about Turkey right now.

For what it is worth Celebrity is being prudent. After the attack on the US consulate in Instabul and with Tukrey joining the fight against ISIS. The State department has issued travel warnings and the US Armed forces is allowing dependents to go home voluntarily. There is a lot of concern about Turkey right now.

If Celebrity does not believe it is safe to go to Istanbul, why are they still going for cruises that start/end there? I understand it is much easier to skip port calls there than to change embarkation/debarkation locations. However, if Celebrity was that concerned about safety, I does not believe they would be going there under any circumstances.

The Equinox out of Barcelona on Sept. 7 will end at Istanbul early on the morning of the 19th, and the next one is sailing out at 11 pm on the same day. No overnight for either cruise, and each had one originally. It must be very complicated to change the debark/embark location, so they will risk the day. Imagine all the airline problems. Tours through Celebrity have been refunded, and a lot of us are scrambling to see at least some highlights of the city.

If Celebrity does not believe it is safe to go to Istanbul, why are they still going for cruises that start/end there? I understand it is much easier to skip port calls there than to change embarkation/debarkation locations. However, if Celebrity was that concerned about safety, I does not believe they would be going there under any circumstances.

I agree! It is safe or it isn't , not a matter of degrees against how complicated the issue of rebooking passengers is.

We will enjoy our now limited time in Istanbul . Ironically, our original plan was to do a Russian River Cruise but AMA cxed that last year due to the political.

Safe travels to all

Just received an email from Celebrity. Our overnight in Istanbul has been cancelled, and substituted with a stop in mykonos, this is for the Celebrity Constellation sailing on the 12th of October.

In the mid 2000s our Celebrity cruise cx both Istanbul and Ephesus. Heading out on a land tour mid Sept. Not sure if the tour is going. So far the company says yes.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that what they are avoiding is having ship's tours in the city.

The port itself has security provisions.