Should Carnival notify you if your ship has been chartered?

jordanaire

We were on the Goth cruise last year and really enjoyed talking to the ones in the group. They are just regular people enjoying their life. They had neat themed nights. We enjoyed seeing all of their attire. It was a quiet and relaxing cruise. No need to reschedule, they may dress different than you but are very nice folks...

I don't think I would mind a couple of hundred " Goths" on the ship. I would probably think of them mainly as some out of season type Halloween passengers. I don't think I would want a super large group of political junkies. A huge group of one religion would probably not be too great. I wouldn't even like to go with a huge group of my church. LGBT would make me uncomfortable....if they carried signs or if I even knew who they were. I'm thinking that it may be very hard to get an entire ship that thought and behaved exactly like me

I feel the Original Poster's pain. Although I do not think 200 is necessarily a huge group, there are concerns. I had to reschedule my Jan cruise because of a group of 600+.

Years ago sis was on the Paradise and there was a group of over 700. They took over the showroom & had their own entertainment. There was one show for everyone else. She was not a happy camper when they came home.

If a group is at least 1/3 the capacity of the ship, then I think Carnival should let people know there is going to be a large group on board.

Years ago sis was on the Paradise and there was a group of over 700. They took over the showroom & had their own entertainment. There was one show for everyone else. She was not a happy camper when they came home.

If a group is at least 1/3 the capacity of the ship, then I think Carnival should let people know there is going to be a large group on board.

Agreed, the rest of the passengers will be affected by loss of entertainment venues.

If Carnival books a large group, should they tell other customers about it before the ship sails?

I just found out today that our Sept 27th cruise has a very large contingent of Gothic passengers on board. It seems as though this group does a cruise annually and its members dress in black Gothic attire, and several Goth bands play throughout the cruise. This is beginning to look like this cruise in NOT going to be the quiet, relaxing cruise that I paid good money for. I believe Carnival should have notified all of those that booked this cruise to let us know. If I had known about this group, then I probably would have rescheduled my cruise.

Just chiming in to offer sympathy to you in your situation. My inclination would be to cancel, but there are so many factors to consider. So sorry for you and your family.

We (two 70+-year-old women) ended up on a cruise with thousands of bikers a few years ago. It was loud, but ended up being a hoot, but I don't think your situation would be the same. (Our biker group's specific activities were held in a separate place on the ship.)

Kathy

I Googled: "group cruise Carnival Legend September 27th" and nothing comes up but Cruise Critic links and travel sites. What am I doing wrong please? I'd like to check my scheduled cruises for groups as well.

And no, I suppose Carnival, any cruise line for that matter, doesn't owe us a heads up on groups.

It has been my experience that many Cruises have groups on board: church affiliation, family reunions, communities, a school reunion, people who are fan's of certain singers, travel groups, people with similar life style choices...so what.

Ships need to fill their cabins and I am sure they are not to interested in the ties that bind people into groups, and that is a good thing, I think. Regardless of anything certain areas of a ship are great meeting places for these like minded individuals and they have as much right as any of us to congregate.

If these groups fill a certain area it just means that other venues are then less crowded for other cruisers. Our family groups always have several get togethers on the ship...just because these are organized doesn't mean that if we weren't traveling individually we wouldn't be using the space.

If my favorite nesting spot on a cruise is full I just move on and find somewhere else. A cruise ticket, I don't think, is an assurance that every person will get access to every venue whenever they want it....the ship is a shared space. But I may not be aware of all the intricacies of Passenger rights.

I Googled: "group cruise Carnival Legend September 27th" and nothing comes up but Cruise Critic links and travel sites. What am I doing wrong please? I'd like to check my scheduled cruises for groups as well.

I don't see where the Legend is doing a cruise that leaves on the 27th of Sept.

no obligation at all. would be fun to experience other cultures and ideas.hopefully I run into a group of gay jewish republicans,like me. lol

Edited by garsny
wording

If Carnival books a large group, should they tell other customers about it before the ship sails?

I just found out today that our Sept 27th cruise has a very large contingent of Gothic passengers on board. It seems as though this group does a cruise annually and its members dress in black Gothic attire, and several Goth bands play throughout the cruise. This is beginning to look like this cruise in NOT going to be the quiet, relaxing cruise that I paid good money for. I believe Carnival should have notified all of those that booked this cruise to let us know. If I had known about this group, then I probably would have rescheduled my cruise.

What would you do???

Most likely the bands will be in private rooms rather than all over the ship.

There were about 100 people on a Renaissance Festival Cruise with us in 2014. We were at a 2-top amongst this group. Our first thought was "ugh". However, they were an interesting group of people & we became friendly with many of them. They did dress in costume for Elegant Night.

I probably would not be thrilled to be at a 2-top with a large Goth group, though.

Thanks, I get that but what if you didn't know there was a goth group aboard and you just want to check for any groups on a particular cruise?

You put in ship name, sailing date and see what comes up.

IF nothing but travel offers and cruise critic come up, then there no big group with outside bookings on that sailing. There still might be a group booked but they aren't opening it to the specific public there group represents.

For example if you put Norwegian Getaway October 23 into the search engine you'll get the normal NCL website, Cruise Critic and then scrolling down a little bit more you can see there is a jazz cruise planned for that sailing. (I only show this as an example as I knew about the group cruise I realize this is the Carnival board).

Edited by Sauer-kraut

What would you do???

#1- Your cruise has not been chartered.

#2- If your sailing were to become a full ship charter then yes you would be notified.

#3- Carnival does not have to notify any passengers of any group that is booked on your cruise.

#4- The "goth" group does not seem large and will probably keep to themselves.

#5- It seems that it would be better for you to cancel or move your booking to another cruise any ways as you already seem to have drawn the conclusion that your cruise is ruined.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Maybe if you could keep an open mind to the group sailing with you it may turn out to be a interesting experience. Others have already mentioned as much about the "goth" folks.

If you think the group will be loud and obnoxious, then cancel your cruise and rebook for a similar sailing on another ship around the same time as the one you are on now.

Cruise is in three weeks.

Quite a financial penalty to cancel now.

Jordonaire, Relax..Don't judge a book by it's cover. You miss out on the best stories. The roughly 4% of passengers that make up the Gothic Group will not over run your vacation. Most of the event are from 1-4am and do not compete with normal shows or public areas. Even the rooms rented are above the venues that music is played in.

If you are concerned about loud, obnoxious, unruly behavior from this group, I don't think you have much to worry about. We are adults. We have families. We have careers. We have manners. We respect others and expect the same in return. We are here to have fun, it's vacation. We worked hard for this just as much as you.

Nursepedinp & Phred119s, Hi!! I was on both of those sailings. Hope you are well!

Sauer-Kraut & jlc22043, you two are totally welcome to whatever lounger I may have had. I'll stay in the shade...under an umbrella....with sunblock SPF 100000 on. :D ....with a froo froo umbrella drink.

The picture is from Formal night 2012... Enjoy!

and Mediccruzin... ;) lol

I love your outfit.

tigercat

I'm on this cruise with you and had the same thoughts. My real concern is that my room is two floors above the Burgundy Lounge where the bands will be playing 1:00-4:00 am. Hopefully one extra deck will help. It will be interesting to see their costumes. I'm wondering if they will be allowed in the dining room with their costumes on.

I did read on their facebook page one member telling others "please don't bring anything that looks like a weapon" (includes bullet belts, grenade/gun shape belt buckles, large spikes etc)

Should be a very entertained filled trip!