Self Service Laundry on Noordam?

andrek

Hello,

Is there a self service laundry on the Noordam? My husband likes to use the washer but prefers to hang dry his shirts. If not, is there a way to get the laundry done with wash only? How much is the unlimited laundry service?

We will be on the ship for 14 days.

Thank you for your help.

Andrea

You have a choice of unlimited laundry or laundry by the bag. Everything is washed in hot water and dried on hot heat.

I have never heard of anyone being able to send out clothes to be washed and then returned to your cabin wet and then hung up by you. If anyone has done that, I imagine that the wet clothes would be pretty wrinkled by the time they were brought back to your cabin. There is a place on the sheet for special instructions -- not sure how well the crew reads them.

My DH wears a lot of polyester shirts that only need washing. After HAL destroyed a few of shirts, I now just wash them in the sink and hang them on hangers and hang them on the clothes line over the bath tub. They don't need any ironing.

NOTE: once HAL lost one of my DH's Polo Brand shirts and I was asked to describe it. I couldn't. Whatever we do send out to the laundry, I take pictures of everything.

]he HAL ships that have self-service laundries are:

Statendam

Maasdam

Veendam

Prinsendam

Rotterdam

Amsterdam

Zaandam

Volendam

All other ships do not have such laundries.

Kindly check the deck plans as well as a couple of threads here and you will see that all the laundry rooms have been removed from ALL the R class ships: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam and Zaandam.

You can't send out laundry for washing and request it be returned to you wet. :)

They won't remove it from the washers and hurry it up to your cabin. Even if they would, what would they do with it if you weren't there?

Kindly check the deck plans as well as a couple of threads here and you will see that all the laundry rooms have been removed from ALL the R class ships: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam and Zaandam.

Thanks for the correction.

I actually knew that but forgot. :o

We just used the unlimited laundry package on the Noordam and were really impressed. Everything came back nicely cleaned and pressed and there was no damage to anything (including some more delicate tops).

I made notes about everything that was sent out, but the suggestion of taking a quick photo is better - I'll do that next time.

One day I sent out a pair of white jeans that I had worn with a new black top. I ended up with dye all over the top of the jeans. Our cabin steward brought the jeans back to check with us to see if they were supposed to be like that and, if not, what had caused it so the laundry could deal with them. They were perfect - all white again! And while we had things brought back on hangers, we had a giggle when we'd get a basket with tissue paper and a gold HAL seal to bring back a single pair of socks.

No, that earlier thread was my fault. I'd gotten an erroneous statement over the phone from someone from Ships Services, who told me that the launderettes had been removed from the R-class ships. WRONG! They have removed one or more from various ships to make room for another stateroom, but the R-class ships still have SOME launderettes.

I sailed on Amsterdam in May (after that thread) and was able to launder my clothes. Check the deck plans of the R-class ships yourself. You'll still see launderettes on them, just not as many as in the past.

No, that earlier thread was my fault. I'd gotten an erroneous statement over the phone from someone from Ships Services, who told me that the launderettes had been removed from the R-class ships. WRONG! They have removed one or more from various ships to make room for another stateroom, but the R-class ships still have SOME launderettes.

I sailed on Amsterdam in May (after that thread) and was able to launder my clothes. Check the deck plans of the R-class ships yourself. You'll still see launderettes on them, just not as many as in the past.

I remembered reading that post, Susan.

Thank you for the clarification. It was good of you to post it. :)

The odd thing is that the Zaandam does have a launderette on deck 3 near the atrium but it is not shown on the deck plan. I think it states there is a launderette on deck three but does not show where it is.

We had booked cabin 3343 for a future cruise but changed it when we checked out deck three and saw it was near the launderette. The noise would not be that bad but when we walked near there many folks were in the hall chatting.

Anyhow, back to the OPs original question. The Signature and Vista classes have NEVER had self-service laundries. Apparently neither will the Pinnacle class. And I can't wait until I get another star so I won't have to worry about it and can sail on the "upper classes":). Although I do love the littler ships.

Before I made my post -- I did check the deck plans for the R class and could not find any self service laundry rooms any more. They were a couple of them about 2 months.

I checked all the decks for each ship.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess my second question would be how much is a bag of laundry on the Noordam in Australia and New Zealand? How much is the unlimited service? Who can I call to check this out? I have read it is cheaper to prepay the unlimited laundry service.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Before I made my post -- I did check the deck plans for the R class and could not find any self service laundry rooms any more. They were a couple of them about 2 months.

I checked all the decks for each ship.

Wow! You're right (almost)! Still showing one on V'dam on the LP just aft of the atrium. Showing none on R'dam or Z'dam. Or Amsterdam. Huh? That's what I don't understand.

I boarded Amsterdam in May IMMEDIATELY after post-world-cruise drydock. You'd think that they'd remove the launderettes during that time, right? But I know that I laundered my clothes three times on that 18-day cruise. And she's been in uninterrupted service since then. I wonder how they managed to remove the launderettes during her Alaska runs?

Well, I'll be back on her in four days. I've gotta check that out.

Edited by Av8rix

I wonder how they managed to remove the launderettes during her Alaska runs?

More likely the deck plans are incorrect.

I was on the Volendam last spring, shortly after an extensive dry dock. The Lower Promenade launderette was still there. I can't imagine it was not removed during dry dock, but was removed later on; it's just too big a job for that.

But please do let us know what you find on the next cruise.

I wonder how they managed to remove the launderettes during her Alaska runs?
I can't imagine it was not removed during dry dock, but was removed later on; it's just too big a job for that.
It's possible (but not likely IMO) to just take down the sign and lock the door ... or even remove machines ... but not yet convert it to some other use.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess my second question would be how much is a bag of laundry on the Noordam in Australia and New Zealand? How much is the unlimited service? Who can I call to check this out? I have read it is cheaper to prepay the unlimited laundry service.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Call Ship's Services

800-541-1576