California Coastal cruises

Single_dreamer

We agree that Ensenada is a sea day.

We like the coastals out of LA/San Pedro because it's an easy drive from Phoenix.

We do drive out the day before and use the Park and Sail package at the Crowne Plaza. On our first coastal we drove out the day of and ran into a tremendous traffic jam. Never again.

Good idea. We live in San Diego, so can't really justify the cost of doing a Park and Sail, but know what you mean about the traffic. I allow 4 hours from SD to San Pedro (it takes 2 in light traffic), just in case.

We love the Coastals. Leaving from LA and getting a full day until 11:00PM in SF is great. For the Coastals that stop in San Diego (my hometown) have heard people on the ship raving about our fabulous port, great weather, and being in the heart of Downtown when the ship docked. Sailaway from San Diego , one of the most beautiful.When we stop there, we play tourist. Lots of wonderful things to see, eat, etc.

My least favorite Princess ship is the Grand Princess. It is the oldest of the Grand Class ships even though went through a huge renovation a few years ago. The design (no middle of ship access staircase , but does have elevator), smaller closets etc. Even though least favorite would sail on her over any other cruise line and have a few times(and booked for Alaska next summer).

For the Coastals that stop in San Diego (my hometown) have heard people on the ship raving about our fabulous port, great weather, and being in the heart of Downtown when the ship docked. .

And a short ride to the best zoo in the world!

I'm very interested in booking a Coastal California Cruise very soon. I am early 40s and I noticed that Princess runs these cruises regularly and the dates offered fit my schedule. I'm considering sailing in 4/2016.

Can anyone tell help with the following questions?

1. Which port do you prefer to sail from? SFO or LA (Crown or Grand)

2. Does Princess offer solo rates or discounts similar to other lines?

3. Is the 17 mile drive offered as an Excursion?

Thank you so much!

Yes. I have considered the wine cruise but unfortunately I can't get time off from work during those months unless I wait until 2017. San Diego is also high on my list of must see places.

Forgot to mention that I am from NY.

From the OP's two posts, I don't see how others are getting that the OP can't take an extra day or two pre or post cruise. Just that April is the time he/she can take off from work.

So unless you folks can tell something I can't and any extra days other than the duration of the cruise isn't possible, I would agree with the idea of renting a car and driving down to Monterey from SF, separate from the cruise.

We just did a longgggg road trip from Northern LA County to way up up north in California (the way north over four days). Because there was a major car show in Monterey Bay that weekend (hubby said it was very major; not being into cars, I've never heard of it before), we decided just to make a stop in Monterey to go to the Aquarium and then stay the night in Santa Cruz. The Aquarium was really excellent (even better than the wonderful one in Long Beach). After SC, we went up the 1 to San Francisco. We had planned to spend some hours there (my daughter had never been there), but it was usually hot, and we ran into traffic (turned out to be the SF Giants game) so we decided to take the Golden Gate Bridge (something that excited our usually jaded 18-year-old) and move on.

On our way back south, we did return to Monterey, had dinner on Fisherman's Wharf, and stay the night in Pacific Grove. We didn't do the 17-mile drive either time (many years ago my mother and I did our own road trip and went straight up the 1 from San Simeon thru Big Sur and on to Monterey, our destination).

I would think that there's much to see in Monterey and Carmel alone without adding the drive unless you want to do it for the scenery.

I'm very interested in booking a Coastal California Cruise very soon. I am early 40s and I noticed that Princess runs these cruises regularly and the dates offered fit my schedule. I'm considering sailing in 4/2016.

Can anyone tell help with the following questions?

1. Which port do you prefer to sail from? SFO or LA (Crown or Grand)

2. Does Princess offer solo rates or discounts similar to other lines?

3. Is the 17 mile drive offered as an Excursion?

Thank you so much!

Yes. I have considered the wine cruise but unfortunately I can't get time off from work during those months unless I wait until 2017.

OP states he can't take much time off work, so all the good advice to do this or that by staying longer won't help him much.

From the OP's two posts' date=' I don't see how others are getting that the OP can't take an extra day or two pre or post cruise. Just that April is the time he/she can take off from work.

So unless you folks can tell something I can't and any extra days other than the duration of the cruise isn't possible, I would agree with the idea of renting a car and driving down to Monterey from SF, separate from the cruise.[/quote']

The OP only said he couldn't get enough time to sail a wine country cruise in October 2016 but nothing about having time for a pre or post cruise visit to take the 17 Mile drive in April.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The OP only said he couldn't get enough time to sail a wine country cruise in October 2016 but nothing about having time for a pre or post cruise visit to take the 17 Mile drive.

I could swear I read a post by the OP saying they didn't have time pre or post, but can't find it now to quote it :confused:. Perhaps it got edited or removed? Or maybe I am having a senior moment :eek:.

I could swear I read a post by the OP saying they didn't have time pre or post, but can't find it now to quote it :confused:. Perhaps it got edited or removed? Or maybe I am having a senior moment :eek:.

I see no reason for that to be edited or removed but I've misread or had senior moments myself and had to read his posts again to see if I remembered it correctly. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

My least favorite Princess ship is the Grand Princess. It is the oldest of the Grand Class ships even though went through a huge renovation a few years ago. The design (no middle of ship access staircase , but does have elevator), smaller closets etc. ).[/b]

Grand Princess just went through another updating this spring. The thing I love about these coastal is that you can quite often score a balcony cabin for the price of an interior. A very affordable way to relax in style for those living close to a cruise port.

You and I are having the same senior moment. ;)

I like doing the repo cruises also - I did one (5 day) northbound out of LA in April this year with stops in SF and Victoria and then I am doing one in November (4 day) from Vancouver this year with a stop only in Victoria. I also have on my list one in April 2016 from LA to Vancouver (6 day) with stops in SF, Astoria Oregon - they filmed the movie The Goonies there - and Victoria again. Each one for me is just a one way flight as I live in Los Angeles. I have been on the Grand, Crown and Golden and I liked them all just fine. I think I might be a little more partial to the Grand though.

Edited by Mibele

We always go to Monterey. If you like the coast you will like 17 mile drive. You have to pay I think it is 10.50. They give you a map for the drive. You can stop at Pebble Beach and go through the hotel and go out on the 18th hole. Take pictures as well. They have shops. And across the way , someone can direct you they have a little store with a deli and get some lunch.

Carmel is beautiful. I would suggest eating at Hogs Breath Inn. Great Food, a little pricey, but worth it.

Hog's Breath is owned/used to be owned by Mayor Clint Eastwood.

In response to the Seine Flu fiasco.

That was it! ;)

It was scheduled as a Mexican Riviera & due to the swine flu (H1N1) changed to a CA Coastal, they gave us half of our cruise as a future cruise credit & we reached elite before a month long transpacific...win, win, win! :D

Celebrity cruises from San Diego (not San Pedro). Don't know if they still do.

The Infinity will be doing an 11-day coastal departing from San Diego (and stopping in Monterey) next spring. She also does Panama Canal departures from SD.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78