Saving Chairs/Loungers etc...

SailLaVie

Anyone who would see a chair unoccupied for 15 minutes and take it is just as much of a jerkoff as the chair hogs are.

Guess your one of the guilty ones! Further more if you were only gone 15 mins chances are the person with you is watching your lounge so don't give any of your BS bud.

Oh and before I put the notice done I've already asked people around or bedside the empty lounge if anyone is there or if they know if there coming back.

Edited by FranknBeans

Maybe I am a one of the big aforementioned jerkoffs, but on our last cruise there was a large heard of individuals that sell a certain pyramid scheme cosmetic on Facebook. They decided the solarium was 'their space'. They would send the head posse leader out to block off 10+ chairs first thing in the morning, then the rest would slowly make their way down to the pool sometime after lunch.

The first day a small group of us just chalked it up to them being the jerkoffs, however the second day after about 3 hours, a group of us piled their belongings on one chair and took them. I was fully expecting to get hit with their tote bags and floppy hats, but we made it out unscathed. We may have blamed it on the pool deck attendants but it was a little excessive. I've done the same in land resorts too. Do it at your backyard pool, but when you're sharing common space with 4000 other people a little common courtesy is a nice thing to have.

We had this discussion on our cruise last week. There were so many chair hogs out that we considered for the first time joining them.

Reality is, if everyone only used a chair when they needed it, likely there would be no issue. if everyone saves chairs, the only way to get one is to save before they do.

Thankfully I prefer my balcony for lounging.

We take a couple dozen of this and have no fear on putting it on their towel by the lounges we have taken without incident and also after watching for 15 min.Make sure to print the card on yellow paper and knowing how to use your printer you can get four per paper. We have been using this for years.

You would end up on the ground if you moved my belongings after 15 minutes ;) Maybe not, but I would have my chair back.

Edited by SissasMomE

Guess your one of the guilty ones! Further more if you were only gone 15 mins chances are the person with you is watching your lounge so don't give any of your BS bud.

Oh and before I put the notice done I've already asked people around or bedside the empty lounge if anyone is there or if they know if there coming back.

Gotta love these new posters coming out of the woodwork :rolleyes:

There are hundreds of threads/posts on chair hogs. It is a universal problem from Carnival to Crystal.

It is also universaly despised by cruise passengers, at least those who are participate in this public forum. Remember there are only 23,000 some odd Cruise Critic members versus the millions of cruise passengers.

On that basis one could conclude that 23,000 cruise passengers do not hog chairs. That leaves the other what, ten million passengers who DO hog chairs?

Weak logic I'll admit but I don't recall reading posts from people who do hog chairs in defense of their actions.

So, to the grandmothers who come out at 7am to lay towels on a bunch of chaise loungers by the pool and to the kids and grandkids who benefit by being able to come out to the pool at 10am and get five prime spots, read the threads on CC to see how your fellow passengers feel about your actions.

More importantly the cruise lines should read and heed the impact chair hogging has on their passengers.

Edited by PoppyandNana

There are hundreds of threads/posts on chair hogs. It is a universal problem from Carnival to Crystal.

It is also universaly despised by cruise passengers, at least those who are participate in this public forum. Remember there are only 23,000 some odd Cruise Critic members versus the millions of cruise passengers.

On that basis one could conclude that 23,000 cruise passengers do not hog chairs. That leaves the other what, ten million passengers who DO hog chairs?

Weak logic I'll admit but I don't recall reading posts from people who do hog chairs in defense of their actions.

So, to the grandmothers who come out at 7am to lay towels on a bunch of chaise loungers by the pool and to the kids and grandkids who benefit by being able to come out to the pool at 10am and get five prime spots, read the threads on CC to see how your fellow passengers feel about your actions.

More importantly the cruise lines should read and heed the impact chair hogging has on their passengers.

I see nothing wrong with grandma and grandpa holding a spot for their family - especially if they are coming at 9 or 10am. There are still plenty of open chairs at that time. The problem is the people who get up at 6am, claim chairs, and then go back to bed until noon or later. The other issue is people coming to the pool deck at noon and expecting to find a chair in a prime location. Ain't gonna happen!

Edited by SissasMomE

This problem is not unique to cruises. I have seen it happen at many land based resorts as well.

I came here to say this too. My family has a timeshare down in Cancun and we have been going once a year for 28 years. Prime beach loungers have always been a hot commodity but in recent years it has gotten so bad that if you aren't down there by 5am you are out of luck for the rest of the day.

My dad takes his beach lounging very seriously lol. He has gotten into the habit of waking up at 5am to go claim his favorite chairs for the family then he falls right back asleep in his coveted beach chair until the rest of us join him at a reasonable hour. I appreciate his dedication but I'm waiting for the day when he gives up on the hotel room entirely and just sets up camp down at the beach smh

Not sure why NCL staff training is not including monitoring/enforcing policy on this :/

Exactly and I would not hesitate to ask a pool attendant to remove items after one hour. ;)

Edited by janetz

I see nothing wrong with grandma and grandpa holding a spot for their family - especially if they are coming at 9 or 10am. There are still plenty of open chairs at that time. The problem is the people who get up at 6am, claim chairs, and then go back to bed until noon or later. The other issue is people coming to the pool deck at noon and expecting to find a chair in a prime location. Ain't gonna happen!

So according to you grandma coming out to the pool deck at 7am to put towels on 5 lounge chairs for family members who don't come out until 10am is not chair hogging? Think there are a couple of million cruise passengers would disagree with you, vehemently.

Another vote for a spot a bit further from the pool, either shady or sunny upper level, even if you have very young children you can usually find a spot around the actual pool on a bench while they swim.

I have seen people throw other peoples towels/belongings on the ground, in puddles, on the outdoor dining tables etc, they dont care, they see a lounger with things on it and just toss it (not certain if these were over the time limit or not since I havent kept track, but they never even took the items to the towel counter, just threw them on the ground or somewhere else) This is usually right around the pool, if youre further away or upper level no one will bother your things. Ive seen a fistfight over loungers near the pool, screaming matches and even saw someone have all their belongings tossed into the pool, phone, book, glasses all of which were wrapped in the towel, which also went in, when they came back and caught the person removing them, it was a zoo (this was not on NCL, our upcoming cruise will be our first NCL) :eek:

I think chair hogs don't think about anyone else. That person who comes out at 7 and saves chairs for family until 10, probably doesn't care that another passenger could use that chair for those three hours or the fact that another passenger may never get to lay out because of them.

What I find very despicable are those passengers who not only hog loungers in the sun, but they also have chairs in the shade, so they can go back and forth.

I think all the cruise lines should set up a system to combat chair hogs, so that all passengers who wish to sit out by the pool or in the shade are able to do so.

.. even saw someone have all their belongings tossed into the pool, phone, book, glasses all of which were wrapped in the towel, which also went in, when they came back and caught the person removing them, it was a zoo (this was not on NCL, our upcoming cruise will be our first NCL) :eek:

I would cruise Carnival for that and that only. Just one time. And I might even bring pool officer FranknBeans and a drunk chairhogging motleyfan with me. Heck, we could make it a charter cruise! :D

I would cruise Carnival for that and that only. Just one time. And I might even bring pool officer FranknBeans and a drunk chairhogging motleyfan with me. Heck, we could make it a charter cruise! :D

FWIW, on my Carnival cruise last summer, the staff was actively enforcing their empty chair policy. The had a place set aside for belongings and it was getting a lot of use. I always manage to find a spot, so, not a big deal to me, but it was still refreshing to see the rules being enforced.

FWIW, on my Carnival cruise last summer, the staff was actively enforcing their empty chair policy. The had a place set aside for belongings and it was getting a lot of use. I always manage to find a spot, so, not a big deal to me, but it was still refreshing to see the rules being enforced.

NCL had a few test runs of placing a blue dot sticker on chairs/towels on a few ships, I think it didn't even lasted a year.. not sure how and why it ended.

There are 2 problems here: There is the chair hog problem, and there are the people that don't bother to get up until 11am and think they deserve a prime location.

My butt is in my chair at 7am. I am saving it by occupying it. I might get up to use the bathroom, or cool off in the pool, or grab a quick bite, or a drink... I am rarely gone more than 15 minutes, and never more than 30. The NCL rules give me 60 minutes, and I don't even come close to that. If some douchebag moves my stuff because I decided I needed to find ice cream at 9:30 am, we are going to have huge issues. Yet according to Mr. "I'm a badass with my stupid cards", that is fair game. Wrong.

Edited: I am usually done with my chair by noon, and heading off to lunch then Spice H20 for the rest of the afternoon. Prime location opens!

Edited by LrgPizza

I would never touch anyone's personal belongings, their bag, their "stuff" but after not seeing anyone occupy a chair with just a towel for quite some time..I'm ploppin my booty in said chair. I'm hoping to not have this problem as I'm up early...not 5 am early but early enough.

There are 2 problems here: There is the chair hog problem, and there are the people that don't bother to get up until 11am and think they deserve a prime location.

True. :D

For the life of me I can't even figure out why poolside would even be considered a prime location on a ship with 4000+ people.

However, I do still think if a company has a stated policy, it should be adhered to or abolished. Actions speak louder than words . . .

My butt is in my chair at 7am. I am saving it by occupying it. I might get up to use the bathroom, or cool off in the pool, or grab a quick bite, or a drink... I am rarely gone more than 15 minutes, and never more than 30. The NCL rules give me 60 minutes, and I don't even come close to that. If some douchebag moves my stuff because I decided I needed to find ice cream at 9:30 am, we are going to have huge issues. Yet according to Mr. "I'm a badass with my stupid cards", that is fair game. Wrong.

Edited: I am usually done with my chair by noon, and heading off to lunch then Spice H20 for the rest of the afternoon. Prime location opens!

I am the same way - I am usually on the deck at 8 at the latest but once I am ready to go to lunch I am ready to move on. As a solo I usually can find one chair in the shade (except last year on rccl fos). Most people are looking for at least two seats together and groups tend to leave a chair between them and the next person.

For the life of me I can't even figure out why poolside would even be considered a prime location on a ship with 4000+ people.

I really enjoy listening to the live music, drinking my frozen cocktails all morning (don't judge), people watching, soaking up the sun, and watching the sea. It's one of my favorite parts of cruising.

Edited by LrgPizza

It seems this is a touchy topic... I guess it doesn't matter where you go, you will encounter those who think they're entitled to whatever they can take and those who try and be fair for everyone.

So, any suggestions on snagging some vibe passes? :cool: