Another voice for flying in at least the day before

cruiseryyc

Another caution to those who wonder about flying into a departure point the same day as your cruise begins. Travelling on the Scenic Gem departing out of Paris on Tuesday, we scheduled our flight to leave Calgary tomorrow arriving in Paris Sunday morning. Just this morning got word that the Calgary to Amsterdam portion of the flight was cancelled! Luckily managed to get rebooked on different airlines but not as good connections; if we had been flying in on Tuesday we might not have been so lucky.

Cannot reiterate enough, fly in at least the day before and for international bookings two days prior.

Just to add to the reasons for flying in a day ahead, a few months ago our luggage didn't make the transfer during a short plane change at Dulles and we arrived Amsterdam the morning of the cruise with carry-on only. The luggage was scheduled to arrive that evening at 6PM and we sailed at 4PM. The bags finally showed up three days later at an isolated port in Norway.

The good news is that United could actually find Ulvik, Norway, and had no problem with reimbursing us up to $150pp/day to buy clothes, toiletries, etc., until we got our bags.

It still would have been easier to have our own stuff.

Edited by Ka Honu

Just to add to the reasons for flying in a day ahead, a few months ago our luggage didn't make the transfer during a short plane change at Dulles and we arrived Amsterdam the morning of the cruise with carry-on only. The luggage was scheduled to arrive that evening at 6PM and we sailed at 4PM. The bags finally showed up three days later at an isolated port in Norway.

The good news is that United could actually find Ulvik, Norway, and had no problem with reimbursing us up to $150pp/day to buy clothes, toiletries, etc., until we got our bags.

It still would have been easier to have our own stuff.

Another example of why it makes way more sense to travel with carry on Only...if you go, it goes

We have several couples on our sailing departing today with no luggage. One of the gentleman is a very large man and he can't just go out and easily replace any necessities.... He tried but the sizing was all off.

PLEASE pack a carry on as if you will NEVER see your bag. Each of these couple are getting the run around from airlines (mostly British Air) they get a different story depending on who they talk to. Sad!

The gentleman could try "Weingarten" in Cologne or "Big Nilles" in Koblenz. Several clothes shops do large sizes. Those two are somewhat specializing in larger and taller.

Really annoying to have to deal with that when you just want to relax on a boat.

I wonder how luggage can still reach you when you are so far away from the airport. Has anybody been so unlucky but then received their luggage at a port on the way?

notamermaid

The gentleman could try "Weingarten" in Cologne or "Big Nilles" in Koblenz. Several clothes shops do large sizes. Those two are somewhat specializing in larger and taller.

Really annoying to have to deal with that when you just want to relax on a boat.

I wonder how luggage can still reach you when you are so far away from the airport. Has anybody been so unlucky but then received their luggage at a port on the way?

notamermaid

I will share this info with the couple with no clothes. Unfortunately we will be in Cologne in 2 hrs but it's Sunday so nothing will be open. The other couple traveling with them did finally get their bags so the Airline (BA) closed the claims for both couples. They are now back to square one and BA is no longer answering their emails or Avalons phone calls.

Avalon has done their laundry each evening and has assisted in getting a few pieces (from crew?). Feeling so bad but will pass this along to them.

The last 2 Viking river cruises we were on we flew in a day early, last month we were in Bordeaux and we stayed we stayed at a hotel walking distance to the ship, the previous trip we flew into Basel the day before, we stayed near the train station, the Saturday morning of our cruise we took the train to Lucerne and spent the morning there sightseeing. 2 years ago my luggage was lost in London, we transferred to Marsellie's and took a bus to Avignon. The cruise departed and I still had no luggage, Viking was excellent making phone calls and arranged for my luggage to be picked up on the 2nd day of the cruise. Leaving a day early is a good way to acclimate to another time zone, get the jet lag out of your system and be ready for your cruise. Too many things can happen before the cruise and i would suggest to anyone, leave 1 or 2 days ahead departing, get a local hotel and arrange for transfers ahead of time. The bus from the Bordeaux airport to my hotel was 1.50 euros each and we were able to walk to the ship, from the Basel airport to the hotel was a few swiss francs, then a 20 swiss franc cab ride to the ship too.

Sometimes flying in early isn't enough for the incompetency of the airlines! When we flew to Peru and then headed up to the Amazon our luggage stayed behind in Miami! It took 3 days for them to figure out that it was supposed to have been on a flight to Lima and then on to Iquitos. 3 days in the Amazon with just our carry-ons... fortunately we packed extra clothes and shoes in our carry-ons! Airlines are getting worse --- wish I could always fly non-stop and watch my luggage board with me.

JVilleGal,

realized too late that you do not have Koblenz as a port on your itinerary. So apologies for raising the gentleman's hopes for new clothes. Rüdesheim is small, so I do not reckon there will be much of a chance. But then again, it is worth a try. Germans come in all shapes and sizes these days, too. ;)

The tourist information centre is in the street along the embankment, easy to stroll to and enquire. I am sure they have been asked more unusual questions.

Miltenberg TIC is +49 (0) 9371 404 119

Würzburg TIC is in the Falkenhaus on the market square +49 (0) 931 37 23 98

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Whether we fly in early or not, I always pack a carry- on with a change of clothes for both my husband and myself for a day or two. He wears LT shirts with a 37" sleeve and even if I could find his size it is not how I want to spend my time, should our luggage go missing for a couple of days. ; Oh, and then I have room in the carry-on for souvenirs on the trip home. :D

Becki

Just want to add my one cent: In addition to eliminating a bit of stress if air gets cancelled or if luggage gets lost, my favorite reason for coming in a day or two early is that often the places that are embark/debark ports for cruises are some of the most fascinating cities in the world. I love explore the neighborhoods, food markets, sleep in (or adapt) via jetlag without the pressure of missing key parts of your cruise.

Mind you, because I'm mostly working, I don't always have the luxury of choice here and sometimes have commitments back at the office that necessitate rather tight turnarounds. But I try to make it a choice!

Carolyn

JVilleGal,

realized too late that you do not have Koblenz as a port on your itinerary. So apologies for raising the gentleman's hopes for new clothes. Rüdesheim is small, so I do not reckon there will be much of a chance. But then again, it is worth a try. Germans come in all shapes and sizes these days, too. ;)

The tourist information centre is in the street along the embankment, easy to stroll to and enquire. I am sure they have been asked more unusual questions.

Miltenberg TIC is +49 (0) 9371 404 119

Würzburg TIC is in the Falkenhaus on the market square +49 (0) 931 37 23 98

notamermaid

Thank you so much, luggage still missing and I have passed this info on to the affected couple. Avalon has really helped, a senior crew member (food mgr) is of similar size and a couple fellow passengers have come to the rescue too.

• 1 month later...

My bride and I leave next week for our second 13 day river cruise- with only a 21 inch carry on and a small tote each. It can be done!

No worries about bags getting lost. Clear Customs quickly and easy. It's the way to go.

My bride and I leave next week for our second 13 day river cruise- with only a 21 inch carry on and a small tote each. It can be done!

No worries about bags getting lost. Clear Customs quickly and easy. It's the way to go.

We have gone to Europe for two weeks with a 21 inch carry on and medium backpack each. It was perfect!

Thanks for the reminder. DH and I fly into Paris 6 am and then catch flight to Zurich arriving 9 am. There, plans are to board the train to Basel and get on GCT River Melody all in the same day! Oh to have read this post 6 months ago!!! We do only travel with carry ons. Have the rules about weight and size changed in the last 2 years since we flew to Berlin? I am in the market for a new suitcase but DH isn't. Any suggestions for a new Euro friendly carry on?

Go to the airline website and double check there rules! The Euro sizes are fully 2in small than the US sizes. If you have wheels they measure from the ground up. And your bag better be lite weight and skinny. In Frankfurt, Budapest and LAX my bags (and I flew business) were weighed and taged. At the gate I watched the GA roll out the sizer in both Frankfurt and Budapest and start putting people's bags in it.

The bags you see on board US airlines would never get past the check in line.:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by JVilleGal

Go to the airline website and double check there rules! The Euro sizes are fully 2in small than the US sizes. If you have wheels they measure from the ground up. And your bag better be lite weight and skinny. In Frankfurt, Budapest and LAX my bags (and I flew business) were weighed and taged. At the gate I watched the GA roll out the sizer in both Frankfurt and Budapest and start putting people's bags in it.

The bags you see on board US airlines would never get past the check in line.:eek::eek::eek:

Yikes....I've never had that problem with Lufthansa and my primary bag is the standard size for an American bag. I too fly business but I've never had my bag measured or anything. Of course, I rarely come even close to the 70 pounds allowed and I never check more than that one bag, but I do usually fly through Frankfort.

Regarding lost luggage it is also worth remembering that it is the last airline on your route that has to handle recovering the bags, not the airline that 'lost' them so make sure you talk to the correct people.

Re the carry-on the sizes most US international airlines are using now are 22"x14"x9" this is actually smaller than a lot of the European airlines but the problem is often the weight not just the size as the US airlines mostly don't care about the weight but the European ones do.

Lufthansa use 22x16x9 with an 18lb weight limit.

There is a good comparison of a number of the airlines here:

http://mashable.com/2015/08/05/carry-on-baggage-size/#NIs9sRcZ5OqV