Oceania Air to Asia - A Query

Hunding

Would you be willing to share your experience on Cathay Pacific?

Much better than any US Carriers. You might inquire about a cost to upgrade to premium economy. They have a decent and real PE (as opposed to UA and Delta).

Edited by PaulMCO

Much better than any US Carriers. You might inquire about a cost to upgrade to premium economy. They have a decent and real PE (as opposed to UA and Delta).

Thanks, PaulMCO. Truth to tell, we've taken advantage of O's Business Class offer from L.A. to Hong Kong, and from Istanbul back to L. A. ($999 each way). I was curious about the airlines O contracts with for Asia, because we have flown BC on O flights to Europe and back, and one in particular was…unfortunate. Cathay Pacific sounds swell -- we'll hope for that instead of a domestic carrier.

Since you've already shelled out $999 each way for business class I'd invest the extra for the deviation fee to make sure you get Cathay Pacific instead of an American carrier.

+1 on Cathay.

Also, I would suggest Turkish out of Istanbul - it is surpprisingly nice. Turkish business was better than Lufhansa business on A380 - I would not have believed that myself before experiencing it.

Truth to tell, we've taken advantage of O's Business Class offer from L.A. to Hong Kong, and from Istanbul back to L. A. ($999 each way). I was curious about the airlines O contracts with for Asia, because we have flown BC on O flights to Europe and back, and one in particular was…unfortunate. Cathay Pacific sounds swell -- we'll hope for that instead of a domestic carrier.

We've use them a few time, but in First-really nice. Business would be nice also the sleeper seats and service are outstanding. Don't forget to us the Business Class lounge, specially in Hong Kong.

Rick

Turkish Airlines Business Class is terrific...and, when flying out of Istanbul, their Lounge is amazing...every kind of food imaginable cooked to order, floating orchids in the rest room, sleep and meditation rooms...really something special architecturally, too. We were so pleasantly surprised by their product!

CX operates daily from JFK --> YVR --> HKG. I have flown the JFK --> YVR leg a few times in PE and the YVR <--> HKG leg in J. Both were very good. I would recommend it against any US airline or AC.

On any transpacific flight you must avoid at all cost the slaveship configuration which is becoming common on the 777s. Those are the ones with the 3-4-3 configuration in the Y cabin. You can check your flight out at SeatGuru.com.

CX operates daily from JFK --> YVR --> HKG. I have flown the JFK --> YVR leg a few times in PE and the YVR <--> HKG leg in J. Both were very good. I would recommend it against any US airline or AC.

On any transpacific flight you must avoid at all cost the slaveship configuration which is becoming common on the 777s. Those are the ones with the 3-4-3 configuration in the Y cabin. You can check your flight out at SeatGuru.com.

Since the OP is flying business what they need to avoid is United's Coffin class. That being their 2-4-2 seats in business. Yes 4 across in the center. The most unfortable business in the sky.