Alternative Fort Lauderdale hotel suggestions?

elycelynne

I have a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Airport South in Dania, which I will probably cancel. I thought that they had an area shuttle which would take care of going somewhere for dinner by myself, but I called the hotel to ask what radius it covered and was informed that it only goes to and from the airport and also to Kiki's restaurant at the Crown Plaza, and that was it. I asked the person who answered the phone if it was safe to walk alone at night around there and she pretty much admitted that the area wasn't as nice as other parts of Dania. (I had actually looked at the location on Google Earth and it looked pretty desolate.)

So I'm back to looking for a decent, reasonably-priced hotel for this coming February 14th (which apparently is the worst night of the winter season for 2016). What areas should I NOT consider? I don't drive, so I'd need somewhere that's fairly walkable (doesn't have to be as tourist as 17th Street) where I'd feel safe stepping outside of the hotel for dinner. I noticed on the Hilton website that the Hampton Inn in downtown Ft. Lauderdale was considerably less expensive than their other properties. Is that area also unsafe and isolated at night like that of the Holiday Inn Express that I'm going to cancel?

If all else fails, I'll probably pick a 3-star Hotwire hotel in the Downtown/Port Everglades/Las Olas zone, but I'd like to not have to resort to that if I don't have to. So I would love to get both recommendations of where to book and where to avoid. Thanks!

As no one has replied, you might note there is a gazillion threads here on hotels, best locations, activities available in those areas, etc. Just a little reading...

Yes, I do already know that from having followed this forum for several years. However, there aren't a gazillion threads specifically addressing places to stay on the most expensive night in the middle of February that won't break the bank of a solo woman with no car who would like to be able to walk safely to a restaurant that also won't cost an arm and a leg for dinner.

WE stayed at Cambria suites last yr but not in Feb while not much in the area they do have a small restaurant in the hotel

We arrived late in the evening so we just ate there food was good

Hyatt Place 17th st as it Embassy suites is close to restaurants

Not sure on your budget

decent reasonably priced can mean different things to different people ;)

WE stayed at Cambria suites last yr but not in Feb while not much in the area they do have a small restaurant in the hotel

We arrived late in the evening so we just ate there food was good

Hyatt Place 17th st as it Embassy suites is close to restaurants

Not sure on your budget

decent reasonably priced can mean different things to different people ;)

I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible. Everything in the 17th Street area that's halfway decent is very expensive for that night. Hyatt Place is going for around $237 and Embassy Suites is at $279. Not to mention the Renaissance, that's going for close to $350. These prices are all before taxes.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, it's Valentine's Day, President's Day weekend, there are five other cruises leaving on the next day, and there's also a marathon that brings in out-of-town visitors. This is why I'm trying to find alternative locations that might not be so high demand but are still safely walkable and convenient to a few eating places that aren't high-end expensive (and also won't break the bank in terms of getting from the airport and to Port Everglades).

Edited by elycelynne

Check out Hampton Inn, Las Olas. I don't know if it meets your criteria, but worth looking into. If you become a Hilton Honors member you can usually save some money on any Hilton property by going to their website.

http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/ is the link.

There is no Hampton Inn on Las Olas.

To the OP, what is the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street going for? What about the Comfort Inn & Suites?

I think I'd just go ahead and bite the bullet and use Hotwire. Rooms are only going to skyrocket in price.

Good luck!!

Edited by BlueHerons

Here's another option for you. Below is the link for Priceline's Express Deals for Feb. 14th. It's a blind buy, meaning you won't know the exact hotel, BUT they offer enough general information, that it might fit your bill. Good luck!

http://www.priceline.com/hotelxd/searchDeals.do?noWait=Y&cityID=3000003192&numberOfRooms=1&checkInDate=02%2F14%2F2016&checkOutDate=02%2F15%2F2016&selcur=USD&selcurreqstamp=2015091313054931332069488

There is no Hampton Inn on Las Olas.

To the OP, what is the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street going for? What about the Comfort Inn & Suites?

I think I'd just go ahead and bite the bullet and use Hotwire. Rooms are only going to skyrocket in price.

Good luck!!

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-downtown-las-olas-area-FLLDNHX/index.html

Above is the link to the hotel I was referring to.

Oh okay! That is the one on North Andrews about ten blocks to Las Olas through some very sketchy areas. You couldn't walk that at all at night. Day would be fine but at night you'd have to use a cab.

It's actually a pretty good suggestion if it is under $200.

So if we're comparing sketchy areas, is it equally as sketchy as the stretch of Federal Highway in Dania where the Holiday Inn Express Airport South, at which I currently have a reservation, is located? I asked about that hotel in another thread and didn't get a reply, bit I suppose there's a good reason why it's priced significantly lower than most other Hilton properties.

The Holiday Inn Express on 17th, if it even has availability by now, was going for about $265. Yikes!!!

I noticed that some hotels in Plantation have airport shuttles (and I assume can provide the standard $8 - $10 shuttle service to Port Everglades). I know the area isn't a tourist one like 17th Street, but would Plantation be a decent alternative? I know that Sunrise, Weston and Davie are even farther, so I'm not even considering those.

I guess basically I'd like to find something that's refundable before I do Hotwire, which we all know isn't.

I noticed that some hotels in Plantation have airport shuttles (and I assume can provide the standard $8 - $10 shuttle service to Port Everglades). I know the area isn't a tourist one like 17th Street, but would Plantation be a decent alternative?

I guess basically I'd like to find something that's refundable before I do Hotwire, which we all know isn't.

if you can find a hotel in Plantation with both airport and port shuttles that would work since it is a nice neighborhood. Try looking at the Hampton Inn (I think that has been recommended here because it does have both shuttles).

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I do already know that from having followed this forum for several years. However, there aren't a gazillion threads specifically addressing places to stay on the most expensive night in the middle of February that won't break the bank of a solo woman with no car who would like to be able to walk safely to a restaurant that also won't cost an arm and a leg for dinner.

Agreed, looking for dates in November that are very busy with not much help either.

I noticed that some hotels in Plantation have airport shuttles (and I assume can provide the standard $8 - $10 shuttle service to Port Everglades). I know the area isn't a tourist one like 17th Street, but would Plantation be a decent alternative? I know that Sunrise, Weston and Davie are even farther, so I'm not even considering those.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation several times and really liked it. Target and a very large shipping mall is within easy walking distance. Publix is also within a 15 minute walk. There is a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. The hotel has a nice pool area where you can relax in the evening. It seems to be a quiet and a safe area to walk around.

You need to join/check out lmtclub.com

Found several possibilities for feb 14th such as (pre tax $):

Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise-sawgrass mills @ $114

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland park @ $115

Best Western Hollywood/Aventura @ $142

Comfort Inn & Suites (Plantation) @ $142

Crowne Plaza Ft lauderdale airport cruiseport @$152

...and a few more under $200.

You will need to investigate in regard to shuttles etc but I think one or more of those would fit the bill? I would also check the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Good luck :)

You need to join/check out lmtclub.com

Found several possibilities for feb 14th such as (pre tax $):

Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise-sawgrass mills @ $114

Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland park @ $115

Best Western Hollywood/Aventura @ $142

Comfort Inn & Suites (Plantation) @ $142

Crowne Plaza Ft lauderdale airport cruiseport @$152

...and a few more under $200.

You will need to investigate in regard to shuttles etc but I think one or more of those would fit the bill? I would also check the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Good luck :)

My booking for the Holiday Inn Express IS with lmtclub (which is why I was able to get such a great price). If I'm not mistaken, most of the other hotels are either situated not within walking distance of anything or else are so far from the airport and Port Everglades that I would just end up spending a lot of extra money on transportation.

I think that, after all my queries, I'm going to end up keeping my booking. There isn't really any pressing need for me to do anything touristy, and I can always order in dinner and have it delivered (I should be able to find someplace where I can actually go to have lunch). The hotel itself seems very nice and new and is highly-rated, so if I stay in on a Sunday night and watch football or The Good Wife, I'm okay with that!

I am booked at this Holiday Inn in April, the one on N. Federal Hwy, Dania Beach. I would love to hear your opinion of this hotel after you stay there if you get a chance. Thank you. I have read nothing but good reviews and was surprised to read that it is in a bad location.

• 5 months later...
I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation several times and really liked it. Target and a very large shipping mall is within easy walking distance. Publix is also within a 15 minute walk. There is a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port. The hotel has a nice pool area where you can relax in the evening. It seems to be a quiet and a safe area to walk around.

Does this hotel have a restaurant/bar?

Does this hotel have a restaurant/bar?

Looks like only the typical Hampton Inn breakfast room. Check out their website (http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-plantation-FLLPTHX/dining/index.html):

Dining

now serving you and yours

Fresh-off-the-boat seafood, authentic Cuban cuisine, or even a good old American cheeseburger... Anything you're craving is just minutes away from our Ft. Lauderdale hotel. And if all of these choices have your head spinning, just stop by the front desk and one of our friendly team members at the
Hampton Inn® Ft. Lauderdale/Plantation hotel
will be happy to make suggestions.

• Hampton's free hot breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And at Hampton, we're committed to making that important meal a delicious one, too. For a delightful variety of your favorite morning treats, please join us each morning for our free hot breakfast.

no time for breakfast? we've got you covered.

Even if you're in a rush, don't miss the most important meal of the day. On your way out, simply grab one of our free
    On the Run
    breakfast bags*, available Monday through Friday, for a quick, healthy meal to go.

*available in the Americas only

Area Restaurants

• Buca di Beppo

• J Alexander's

• Olive Garden

• Outback Steakhouse

• Padrino's

• Red Lobster

• Romano's Macaroni Grill

Edited by capriccio