DSC cannot be removed onboard anymore

pokerpro5

And if there is no record of you complaining onboard and giving onboard management a chance to rectify the situation? I can see them denying it under those circumstances.

Did the new system, as reported by the OP, suggest they can deny it?

Maybe he or NCL :rolleyes: could confirm that this is just to make it more of a hassle. Hoping most won't go to the effort. Kind of like rebates by mail.

Delay is not deny. No real change except when and how you get your money.

You didn't read Friday's thread that got deleted - this a continuation of it, he got upset that he paid $12 more for UDP. You figure out what happen next. :p

Personally, I think it perfect karma for someone reducing DSC over something that has nothing to do with it especially with nickel & dime ploys like specialty dining, but that's just me. :p

You are right, I missed that thread. I was never a big fan of removing/reducing the service charge to get back at the company since it doesn't really impact them and I'm glad NCL is doing this.

No I understand that but now that $ will be a short term deposit/savings account and nothing more.

Removing the DSC can now be handled without worrying about being shamed by anyone, including some on this board.

Did the new system, as reported by the OP, suggest they can deny it?

Maybe he or NCL :rolleyes: could confirm that this is just to make it more of a hassle. Hoping most won't go to the effort. Kind of like rebates by mail.

Delay is not deny. No real change except when and how you get your money.

To apply for a refund implies the possibility of a denial. I can certainly see it happening, especially if there is no record of complaints onboard.

Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

OK so I have to make a few appearences at guest service.

Just report smoking on a balcony nearby and knowing how they will enforce that! ;) I'm sure my concerns will not be met with satisfaction.

That should suffice.

You are right, I missed that thread. I was never a big fan of removing/reducing the service charge to get back at the company since it doesn't really impact them and I'm glad NCL is doing this.

Hmmm...

At this point its the principal of the idea, and all the other changes since I booked.

I'm not getting back at NCL, I'm getting back my money that may be superflous to NCL since they don't make it mandatory.

OK so I have to make a few appearences at guest service.

Just report smoking on a balcony nearby and knowing how they will enforce that! ;) I'm sure my concerns will not be met with satisfaction.

That should suffice.

Good luck with that - You better make sure there's a actual smoker on the balcony leaving that tell-tell smell for hours or else you're going to lose. And Guest Services will make a note of it when you do complain about it.

And if there is no record of you complaining onboard and giving onboard management a chance to rectify the situation? I can see them denying it under those circumstances.

The form states that removal is at guest discretion. You don't need to establish a record of complaints or of offering management a chance to do anything for you.

"I'd like to change my DSC."

"we no longer handle it on the ship. here is a form for you to send in."

"thank you." (sends in form)

Good luck with that - You better make sure there's a actual smoker on the balcony leaving that tell-tell smell for hours or else you're going to lose. And Guest Services will make a note of it when you do complain about it.

How is it that you always seem to know EXACTLY how NCL is going to handle something? Personally, I don't think you know anything with certainty as you are just a one time NCL guest.

Wish NCL would make the DSC mandatory and roll the cost into the ticket price.

Exactly! Make it a line item.... No different than when you book, you have your cruise fare and a line item for taxes and port fees. If this were added as another line item, it would be prepaid and non-negotiable. You cannot go and ask for the port fee to be removed because you are not getting off of the ship. Its a fee you pay either way.

One comment/question about the DSC is - given that the fee supposedly goes to the "behind the scenes crew", does (and if so, how does) NCL book these fees as income/revenue on its books?

Won't need luck! Just need to be a squeaky wheel enough. Or maybe not. Don't need to win only show my concerns weren't met with satisfaction. Rather easy to accomplish. But thanks for the concern.

And of course this too:

The form states that removal is at guest discretion. You don't need to establish a record of complaints or of offering management a chance to do anything for you.

Hmmm...

At this point its the principal of the idea, and all the other changes since I booked.

I'm not getting back at NCL, I'm getting back my money that may be superflous to NCL since they don't make it mandatory.

I'm so glad NCL is finally sticking to people like you - How more heavy-handed a hint can they give that they don't want cheapskate complainers that are really not having genuine service issues sailing their line anymore? I can understand if the person was having a genuine service issue like toilet not working for the whole week, a room steward not doing their job at all even with 'Clean room' sign out at all hours, mold in the cabin etc, but to reduce DSC because you don't want to pay for it at all while still getting service in the buffet and from the room steward plus the behind the scene staff? Yeah, you can suffer 2-8 weeks without it - hope it makes you think twice about sailing on NCL, ever. :rolleyes::cool: Let's be honest - it takes them about 4-6 weeks to give back refundable OBC that one brought for themselves, you think you're getting it back in 2? DREAM ON!!

To apply for a refund implies the possibility of a denial. I can certainly see it happening, especially if there is no record of complaints onboard.

Here is the onboard letter

Dear Valued Guest:

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service provided to you by our crew members and that we were unable to resolve your concerns through our guest satisfaction program. Our top priority is to work to resolve any guest issues when they occur to everyone's complete satisfaction.

If you would like to proceed with adjusting your service charges according to the level of inconvenience caused we would be happy to process a refund for the amount that you wish to have credited. In order to do so, please complete this form and email it to ServiceCharges@ncl.com

To process the adjustment we kindly ask you to provide us with the following information:

Ship

Sail Date

Guest name(s)

Cruise Reservation Number

Reason for adjustment

Adjustment amount

Please send your form within 30 days after the end of your cruise.

Please note that we cannot accept refund requests received outside of this period.

ALL SERVICE CHARGE ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE PROCESSED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF RECEIPT (their capitalization, not mine)

I'm so glad NCL is finally sticking to people like you - How more heavy-handed a hint can they give that they don't want cheapskate complainers that are really not having genuine service issues sailing their line anymore? I can understand if the person was having a genuine service issue like toilet not working for the whole week, a room steward not doing their job at all even with 'Clean room' sign out at all hours, mold in the cabin etc, but to reduce DSC because you don't want to pay for it at all while still getting service in the buffet and from the room steward plus the behind the scene staff? Yeah, you can suffer 2-8 weeks without it - hope it makes you think twice about sailing on NCL, ever. :rolleyes::cool: Let's be honest - it takes them about 4-6 weeks to give back refundable OBC that one brought for themselves, you think you're getting it back in 2? DREAM ON!!

Thank you for proving the point that NCL keep the DSC and don't pass it all on the crew. Of course a woman in your position would know that information. If the money went straight to the crew the company wouldn't care. just like restaurants don't care how much you tip their servers since it's not the restaurants money ever. But since NCL be throwing what you would term a "hissy fit" to "get back" at people, well, then I guess the money goes to NCL bottom line?

I don't eat in the buffet.

They are designated as tips, not service charges.

Like I said - Anything automatically added to your account or receipts is a service charge. Cruises lines use the word tips or gratuities instead of service charge because it sounds nicer and doesn't seem like it mandatory to pay for services (when it reality it is :rolleyes:, whatever puts people in a better / happy mood while paying*shrug*)

That list of amount that mjkacmom gave, are the service charges / tips for those lines. NCL just happen to have the highest one out of the all the mass / premium lines. That and they made it tougher for DSC-removers to just blatantly try to remove it - I'm sure one of the Carnival brand or Royal will come up with one that even more tougher than NCL's, lol.

Like I said - Anything automatically added to your account or receipts is a service charge. Cruises lines use the word tips or gratuities instead of service charge because it sounds nicer and doesn't seem like it mandatory to pay for services (when it reality it is :rolleyes:, whatever puts people in a better / happy mood while paying*shrug*)

That list of amount that mjkacmom gave, are the service charges / tips for those lines. NCL just happen to have the highest one out of the all the mass / premium lines. That and they made it tougher for DSC-removers to just blatantly try to remove it - I'm sure one of the Carnival brand or Royal will come up with one that even more tougher than NCL's, lol.

This is inaccurate. Also unlikely.

I do believe the other mass market cruise lines have a service charge, as well.

But the other lines tell you exactly how much of your money goes to whom. NCL treats DSC as revenue, CCL does not, it is staff gratuity.

The only people who benefit from the DSC are share holders. By paying it and not tipping in cash, you are stiffing the staff.

Edited by Jane Don

But yet you still you use behind-the-scene staff that room steward uses to make / clean up your cabin - Guess you have to bring your own bedsheets plus bath & beach towels to avoid paying them. Maybe not use the room steward at all too, since that involves paying them too. ;):p

Gotta love NCL for finally sticking a fork in it - lovely way to get back at cheapskates where it hurts them most. :D

No fork...just a delay.

The rest is irrelevant.

But the other lines tell you exactly how much of your money goes to whom. NCL treats DSC as revenue, CCL does not, it is staff gratuity.

The only people who benefit from the DSC are share holders. By paying it and not tipping in cash, you are stiffing the staff.

Then this $ is truly superfluous.