DSC cannot be removed onboard anymore

pokerpro5

Let's face it... these things are mutually exclusive. You (we?) can't have always known that the DSC is not a tip and be misled at the same time.

No, the DSC is not a tip, but it replaced the tips of yesterdays; I'm guessing because of the amount of folks that skipped out on them on the last night of the cruise. It is the crew's compensation and it happens on almost all mass market cruise lines, so I really don't know what all the fuss and drama is about. Edited by NLH Arizona

Not so fast.

This "rebate" situation makes it fairly clear that your DSC does NOT directly land in the hands of the hardworking NCL crew.

Why?

Because you have 30 days from the end of your cruise to submit the form, and it takes them another 2 weeks to profit it -- which means that 44 days can pass since the cruise before a refund is issued.

So how would that work for employees? Do they reach into their wallets and take the "tips" back?

Obviously not.

This new policy pretty much clarifies exactly what I always suspected:

The DSC simply reimburses/subsidizes NCL's payment of employees, and raising it or lowering it does not affect their pay.

If you think I'm wrong, explain how they can retroactive remove tips that are opted out of 30 days after the cruise. Some of those employees may not even be working for NCL at that point!

This is a diaperful.

From my travel agent. She was over to the house last night for drinks. She's one of my best friends but just happens to also be my TA.

I've never gotten wrong information from her before.

I suspected that was coming when at the last DSC change NCL posted the $18 number on their website. It stated $18 per day per stateroom.

What this change shows is that enough cheapskates removed the DSC when it was easy to do so, creating the necessity of not just requiring written explanation but making a cumbersome process out of it.

Still within the bounds of the guest ticket contract - still is discretionary but now a person has scan /photo a form and email it back to get their refund.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

From my travel agent. She was over to the house last night for drinks. She's one of my best friends but just happens to also be my TA.

I've never gotten wrong information from her before.

Did you hear is that for all people traveling alone or just the people in the studio? I am in a balcony and I don't get to utilize any of the things you mention so why would I be charged for that?

Did you hear is that for all people traveling alone or just the people in the studio? I am in a balcony and I don't get to utilize any of the things you mention so why would I be charged for that?

I was told studios would get some upgrade amenities along with the increase, but that the increase is for ALL solo bookings.

I can see the higher DSC for soloer in Suite or Haven, but not really for a studio or interior since its a 100 -125 sq ft. Pretty small, plus not alot studio rooms compare to other riom types on the Breakaway-class ships anyway.

Edit- If anything, I can see NCL raising the suites / Haven DSC again to make it more comparable to Oceania DSC prices, which is what? $20-22 a day person - before Sheehan left, he want NCL to be 'Oceania-lite'; its almost there....

Edited by maywell

Has it been written anywhere that NCL staff are compensated less than staff on the other ships? Who knows, maybe their base pay is higher, maybe they get bonuses. NCL is not obligated to let me know how they compensate their employees.

I also tip my bartenders, room steward, and some servers.

No one know how much NCL gives to the crew from the DSC and those that say they do are speculating. If you look at other cruise lines, Celebrity for example, they might say that $X goes to Room Steward, etc., but if you add up each category, it does not come up with the total of gratuities they charge each person, because a portion goes to incentives, etc., just like NCL. Not to mention, we have no idea if those figures are what is really given out.

Unlike you, I can afford $25 per day DSC - Can some cheapskates claim the same? [emoji57]

Plenty of couples and families pay that much or more. Solo's haven't been carrying their weight in supplementing NCL's bottomline.

Since you aren't staying in a studio room you won't get to share in any of the new amenities for those guests. So now your DSC is increasing by over 50% since you booked originally but you aren't getting any additional services for it, just being called out by NCL for not paying enough to be on the ship to start with. I know the term "value for money" is a completely foreign concept for you, and I don't have enough time and crayons to explain it simply enough for you either, but you WILL be paying more for the same services and your roll call will know to avoid your pre-disposition towards belligerence and violence.

Plenty of couples and families pay that much or more. Solo's haven't been carrying their weight in supplementing NCL's bottomline.

Since you aren't staying in a studio room you won't get to share in any of the new amenities for those guests. So now your DSC is increasing by over 50% since you booked originally but you aren't getting any additional services for it, just being called out by NCL for not paying enough to be on the ship to start with. I know the term "value for money" is a completely foreign concept for you, and I don't have enough time and crayons to explain it simply enough for you either, but you WILL be paying more for the same services and your roll call will know to avoid your pre-disposition towards belligerence and violence.

Solos pay 150-200% what a standard passenger pays just to be on board.

We're "not carrying our weight" and yet Escape was built with a THREE DECK studio complex with more studios cabins than ever built on any ship.

You are correct that solo travelers will be getting more amenities in the future. NCL wants to be the cruise line of choice for solo travelers.