Steak

Tennessee Titan

I also have had mixed results on MDR steaks. However, for me it is how it is cooked not the cut. Seldom do cruise ships or restaurants serve steak as rare as I like it. If it even approached medium or above I leave it or ask for another one . Never had a bad steak on HAL IF it was truly rare.

I agree with others, strip loin is NOT the cheapest cut of steak sold in my area, by any means. Again, IF a strip loin is cooked the way I like it, it can be delicious.

Due to my steak doneness preference, I seldom order steak out - I can better custom cook it at home,and they are so easy to cook.

Hmmmm not fond of the soup myself. What was plated with chateaubriand? The menu I saw said horseradish flan and sweet and sour beets which I can't quite picture

Really do not recall what other items were served.

If "Harvard Beets" or "Sweet and Sour Beets" were on the plate, I would have eaten them because I like Beets and particularly of the "Harvard" variety.

Ah. I remember Harvard beets. Mom bought them though and I didn't love them. I just read the description on the menu and POA1's pic definitely shows beets. Just not those hideously little canned cubes I had growing up!

I hear you. I love beets but not the Harvard variety.

The off chance anyone is interested about all this chat about Harvard Beets, here is a recipe. I am sure there are many variations.

Harvard Beets

12 small cooked beets, peeled and sliced

1/2 c. sugar

1 Tble cornstarch

1/2 vinegar

2 Tble butter

Mix sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Add vinegar and cook over medium/medium high heat until starts to thicken. Add beets and butter.

Edited by sail7seas

The only steaks more tender than the strip loin (aka NY Strip or Kansas City Strip) are the Tenderloin (Filet Mignon also used for Châteaubriand) and the Flat Iron. The more tender, the more expensive - almost always.

Here's an exciting steer shaped beef chart:

http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/productsandbrands/sauces/a1/pdf/A1-SSTP-Steak-Cut-Poster.pdf

Other than Northwest Clam Chowder that used to be served in Pinnacle Grill (delicious), I have never seen New England Clam Chowder served on Canada/NE cruises and I did those cruises b-to-b many times.

Have you been offered it on that itinerary?

The more tender the more costly, yes, but sometimes I think some of the less costly cuts have more flavor.

I don't find a filet mignon has the best 'beefy' flavor though I do like that steak from time to time.

Indeed. DW prefers ribeyes for that very reason, particularly tomahawk ribeye.

I think people also make a mistake with the petite cut Filet Mignon. The cost for the two tenderloins are the same in the Pinnacle Grill. Go big. :)

When I was little and my parents were living on a strict budget Mom would take chuck steaks and marinate them in beer and other flavourful things, then grill them on a hot BBQ just to barely medium rare. They were delicious and tender. Most of the time. I have never been able to duplicate them.

...1/2 vinegar...

How much vinegar?

I'm guessing 1/2 cup, based on the instructions in the recipe.

What kind of vinegar? Distilled white? Apple cider? Red wine? Malt? Some other kind?

The recipe sounds good, but I would want to be sure what I was doing.

Thanks for the corrections.

How much vinegar?

What kind of vinegar? Distilled white? Apple cider? Red wine? Malt? Some other kind?

It's typically 0.5 cups of white, but I have seen as much as 0.75 cups. I've also seen cider vinegar specified - and even Champagne vinegar. (Save that last one for salad dressing. You're welcome. ;) )

I can't swear to it, but I think that the sweet and sour beets in Le Cirque differ from Harvard in that they didn't have the cornstarch component. We have friends on the Veendam right now, so I am hoping to get a definitive answer. You can tell it's a slow news day.

and usually order the filet or bone in rib eye rare. They are very good but that picture of the rack of lamb excited me for my next cruise. The best cruise steak was surprisingly on the Carnival Legend in their supper club. It was a big Porterhouse that was done perfectly. I have enjoyed the Chateaubriand at the LeCirque dinner but wished they would offer Bernaise sauce with it.

Strip loin is an excellent cut where I come from.

Butternut Squash soup - love it!

And beets of any kind - bring it on.

Mouth watering here.

Definitely. It's good old-fashioned strip steak. Strip loin, while technically correct, is a term designed to confuse strip steak and tenderloin.

How much vinegar?

Yes, POA is correct.

1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

How much vinegar?

Yes, POA is correct.

1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

Wow! you must have some meat market. Strip loin is a very good cut of meat in Canada. For whatever reason I prefer a prime rib or a tenderloin, but striploin is NOT the cheapest cut of meat. It is up there above sirloin steak, at least here, I guess things differ where you are

You are correct , sirloin is a buck or two cheaper than strip loin.

My meat market makes a big market in strip loins, often $5.99 a pound on sale every couple weeks.

Someone mentioned round steak, I don't consider round steak to be a grilled dinner steak, it is very very tough. I've never seen it on a steakhouse dinner menu. My meat market crisis cross cuts round steak and sells it as Swiss steak, suitable for crock pot or oven roasting at low temperatures to tenderize. It still needs pounded and crisscross cut prior to cooking.

Edited by sammiedawg

My meat market makes a big market in strip loins, often $5.99 a pound on sale every couple weeks.

Someone mentioned round steak, I don't consider round steak to be a grilled dinner steak, it is very very tough. I've never seen it on a steakhouse dinner menu. My meat market crisis cross cuts round steak and sells it as Swiss steak, suitable for crock pot or oven roasting at low temperatures to tenderize. It still needs pounded and crisscross cut prior to cooking.

That's an insanely low price for strip steak.

So round steak and swiss steak aren't steak?? What about flank steak? Skirt steak? I've also seen eye of the round steaks and tri-tip steaks. Do they count?

So round steak and swiss steak aren't steak?? What about flank steak? Skirt steak? I've also seen eye of the round steaks and tri-tip steaks. Do they count?

I was referring to grilled dinner steaks as served in better restaurants. I have never seen round steak, skirt steak on any of their menus. Not sure what a tri tip is. Terminology varies.