POA visiting ports/best places to eat

bsblindab

If you let us know the method of transportation that you'll have for getting to the restaurants it will help with recommendations.

Also, if you have sightseeing plans - recommendations can be made for restaurants in the areas where you'll be sightseeing.

That will severely limit you. Mama's Fish House, outside of Kahalui, is one of the best fish places around. But it is not walkable. A fairly short taxi ride, though. Is mentioned on this board regularly.

CruiserBruce--My husband and I are planning to eat lunch at Mama's Fish House. Though it's pricey, I have heard excellent things about it. We are doing a bike ride down Haleakala that ends in Paia and were going to go there afterwards. Is there any kind of dress code for Mama's? Just wondering what clothes to put in my backpack for changing into.

Deb - Dressy casual would work - if you scroll through the thumbnail photos in this link, you'll see some photos that people have posted of themselves (most of the photos are of food though ... but very nice ones.:))

p.s. I'm not getting the link above to work, so will try this one: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60636-d479164-Reviews-Mama_s_Fish_House-Paia_Maui_Hawaii.html#photos - and just in case you're not familiar with scrolling through TA photos, use the double arrows to the right of the thumbnail photos, below the large photo. (Faster than clicking on each photo.)

Edited by Susan-M

Deb - Dressy casual would work - if you scroll through the thumbnail photos in this link, you'll see some photos that people have posted of themselves (most of the photos are of food though ... but very nice ones.:))

p.s. I'm not getting the link above to work, so will try this one: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60636-d479164-Reviews-Mama_s_Fish_House-Paia_Maui_Hawaii.html#photos - and just in case you're not familiar with scrolling through TA photos, use the double arrows to the right of the thumbnail photos, below the large photo. (Faster than clicking on each photo.)

OMG the food looks scrumptious!!! Thanks for the link Susan (first one worked fine for me :))

With the ports that the Pride of America is going to visit..where would you sugguest eating offship either for Lunch or Dinner..especially seafood.

Kauai and Kona really are the only "walkable" ports where you could find something to eat. Hilo and Kahului are both industrial ports with not much around. You'll have to rent a car (cheap and easy!) and drive yourself, or taxi (expensive!) there. Keep in mind Hawaii is nothing like the Caribbean (a GOOD thing, in my opinion)

CruiserBruce--My husband and I are planning to eat lunch at Mama's Fish House. Though it's pricey, I have heard excellent things about it. We are doing a bike ride down Haleakala that ends in Paia and were going to go there afterwards. Is there any kind of dress code for Mama's? Just wondering what clothes to put in my backpack for changing into.

I must have fit the dress code- shorts, polo shirt, sandals. They let me in. This was for lunch.

In Kona, many locals eat at Splashers. They have Ono everyday.

Right across from the pier.

http://www.splashersgrillkona.com

Fish hopper (same folks as the one in Monterey). http://www.fishhopper.com/kona/

Don Mai Tai bar . In the Royal Kona Resort. A little bit of a walk. Nice view.

http://www.royalkona.com/Dining.cfm

There is a Bubba Gumps, but it is not that special, except the you are right beside the ocean.

That will severely limit you. Mama's Fish House, outside of Kahalui, is one of the best fish places around. But it is not walkable. A fairly short taxi ride, though. Is mentioned on this board regularly.

We have to mention that the taxi ride is about 11 miles or so, and taxi fare runs $3.00 per mile plus whatever it costs just to step in the cab. We are not against Mama's at all, but double the fare for a round-trip and add the price of lunch or dinner there and you will have put a good dent in whatever budget you have.

I'm not a fish eater..but the others in the party are..I'm the one that orders chicken :) Was wondering the prices of taxis. Where we live if you don't have 2 feet or 4 wheels you don't go very far..so taxis/buses etc prices are foreign to me

Uber is also available on Maui. You can sign up, and put in your destination and they will give you a fare. Fares change depending on the time of day, but we have found them very reliable and friendly. Just another option. Cherie

We had forgotten uber is on Maui now, so we checked it out and in case anyone is curious, the "uberx" (least expensive) rate from Kahului harbor to Mama's Fish House is $22.00-$29.00 each way.

We had forgotten uber is on Maui now, so we checked it out and in case anyone is curious, the "uberx" (least expensive) rate from Kahului harbor to Mama's Fish House is $22.00-$29.00 each way.

Or, you could rent a car and drive there yourself, plus visit a lot of other places, for approximately the same price as the taxi or uber fare just to Mama's and back.

Having owned a condo in Kona for 15 years, our choice would be the Kona Inn. Just turn right at the end of the pier, walk along the sea wall past the 'palace', and into the little waterfront shopping complex. It's about halfway down the complex on your right, with a more formal dining room plus a great bar seating area with great casual food. You'll have a perfect view of your ship while you eat and drink - make sure to try one of their Mai Tai's!

Another option if you want something different and can handle a little more of a walk (probably 1/4 mile) and a dozen or so stone steps is the Kona BrewPub. For this one, turn left at the end of the pier, then at the first stoplight, cross the street, then walk along the road to the left. Just past the little strip mall, you'll see the steps up to the brewpub. Great beers, superb pizzas and salads on a nice tropical patio, but no view. They also offer tours, but you'll have to check their website (konabrewingcompany.com) to see if they coincide with your schedule. DH's favorite brew is "LavaMan', which you can only buy in the islands.

We have to mention that the taxi ride is about 11 miles or so, and taxi fare runs $3.00 per mile plus whatever it costs just to step in the cab. We are not against Mama's at all, but double the fare for a round-trip and add the price of lunch or dinner there and you will have put a good dent in whatever budget you have.

We are going to take the #35 bus back from Mama's Fish House. You can catch it at the Safeway by Maui Mall and get off at Kuau Mart in Paia--only $2 per person each way. http://mauibus.net/schedule go here for the bus schedules.