We're on Norwegian Escape tomorrow. What do you want to know?

editor@cruisecritic

What most intrigues you about the new Norwegian Escape?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. What most intrigues you about the new Norwegian Escape?

• Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville - and the indoor/outdoor It's Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar
    • The expanded studio suites complex for solo travelers
    • The bigger-and-better ropes course and Aqua Park
    • District Brew House's Gastropub, a Miami fave from Wynwood Brewing
    • The new supper club production: For The Record Presents Dear John Hughes"
    • Norwegian's first-ever wine bar, courtesy of Michael Mondavi
    • An expanded Haven complex
    • Bayamo, from Iron Chef Jose Sarces, specializing in Latin cuisine
    • Other, please post below

I was suprised that the Michael Mondavi wine bar didn't score higher, but maybe that's just because I'm a wine fan.

I am a little bit, but I attribute it to not seeing much news about it. In the Escape site it has reasonably large billing, but in terms of ongoing updates I have not seen as much. Nor, do I think there can be that many open questions about it. I don't think it has a big food menu to speculate about or a land-based equivalent to use as a reference for guessing about the fidelity.

I guess, now that you mention it, more information about what sort of programs will be offered through it would be interesting. Or, really, I guess the question is "is this more then a nice place to order and drink wine?" (which I am fine with it being)

Taste, as with Getaway and Breakaway, is located opposite Savor (with the Mixx Bar in between). The big difference: Taste is two levels, with a staircase that's much prettier than in my photo, that separates the private dining room (below) from the regular restaurant.

Carolyn

Taste.jpg.192d60a01cd15ed6989179e5903e61b1.jpg

staircase.jpg.231b8e0ba48f073dd6c86ff37f675862.jpg

Was wondering the same thing re publicity about it, Vortech. Will try to get more details....

Carolyn

I am a little bit, but I attribute it to not seeing much news about it. In the Escape site it has reasonably large billing, but in terms of ongoing updates I have not seen as much. Nor, do I think there can be that many open questions about it. I don't think it has a big food menu to speculate about or a land-based equivalent to use as a reference for guessing about the fidelity.

I guess, now that you mention it, more information about what sort of programs will be offered through it would be interesting. Or, really, I guess the question is "is this more then a nice place to order and drink wine?" (which I am fine with it being)

Would love to have pictures and know the setup of the O2 cabins that are at the front of the ship (exp 11700). It appears that there is a blank space next to them, but speculation that the rooms are actually bigger than they appear in the brochures. Otherwise any clue on what that space is? Also how are they set up. Thanks!

We did get to see the steel cutting of Norwegian Bliss today -- it's due out in spring 2017. The steel cutting is the first real stage in the official creation of a ship, so it's fun. I'll write a short news item for Cruise Critic on that.

This is my favorite part.

Love your questions, keep voting if you haven't, and I'll post more photos tomorrow.

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn,

Hope you're having a blast!

A few questions if you get the opportunity.

1. What will be used as the nightclub/disco for late night DJ dancing since there is no longer a Bliss nightclub?

2. The Skyline Bar is the most intriguing to me on the ship, mainly because I loved the similar concept on DISNEY DREAM. Can you tell how it will differ on ESCAPE? Perhaps the screens are much larger and there are more of them?

3. The Spa appears larger on ESCAPE according to the deck plan. It wraps all the way around on the Port Side where there are cabins on the "away" ships. Is there anything new over on the Port Side or just more seating? Also the fitness center on the "away" ships is one of the biggest disappointments, especially after EPIC. It's way too small for the number of passengers. Is it enlarged on ESCAPE?

Have fun and if you get the opportunity explore my questions fantastic, and if not I understand as I know a lot is planned in a short time.

Do they allow smoking in the outdoor restaurant areas?

Do any mini's have tubs? Not showers?

Any shellfish on the MDR menu? Shrimp appetizers?

I can answer your second question - the "Family" Mini suites have a tub instead of shower, not sure if they still get the shower jet panel though

Nice to hear, LrgPizza, I'm partial to geek ship building experiences too (and I mean geek in the best possible way :) )! Here's the story I posted yesterday on Norwegian Bliss:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6530

Carolyn

This is my favorite part.

A heads up on menu-related questions and this also applies to fees. I'm told by Norwegian executives that those areas simply aren't ready to show/tell. That's pretty typical as there's still another five weeks or so until launch. Regardless, we'll be all over it at Cruise Critic as soon as there's something to report cause we know it's important.

Thanks.

Carolyn

Any pictures of anything you can take would be fabulous!

We're in a Spa Mini Suite stateroom on a trip from Hamburg to Southampton. Just excited to see the whole ship! As we are foodies, any photos or info about the menus from the new restaurants would be great!

Have fun! [emoji568]

Loved the spa mini-suite with the tub in the window. Want to book that one myself! Pics to come, just back....

Carolyn

Any pictures of anything you can take would be fabulous!

We're in a Spa Mini Suite stateroom on a trip from Hamburg to Southampton. Just excited to see the whole ship! As we are foodies, any photos or info about the menus from the new restaurants would be great!

Have fun! [emoji568]

Loved it! It's even better than Breakaway/Getaway (and loved them too). Here are a quick couple of takeaways, and then I'll get busy getting photos together.

*Lots more use of water features on the upper, outside decks. So for instance, if you're lounger is way up on, I believe deck 17, three flights away from the main pool area, there now will be two large whirlpools so you don't have to go all the way down to get wet. The H20 has a fantastic grotto, with rain showers and such, that wraps around the side; that's in addition to the existing two whirlpools. And even Vibe, the extra-fee beach club has an all-new water feature -- it's a pretty green tiled "hallway" (might not be the best word) that will have splash features.

*Speaking of the pool deck, Norwegian registered complaints about tight spaces and has vastly expanded sun lounge space on the pool deck itself. Photo to come.

*Oh, my, the ropes course, an extra level higher, is fabulous. There's one for kids and one for adults (there are now two gangplanks, one on port the other on starboard) and get this: The Zipline features goes out over the side of the ship for a gangplank like vista.

*The Haven is the most beautiful of them all. It's three decks high instead of two, which allows for more suites. There's an alfresco dining area off the regular restaurant which will be ultra-popular I predict (good views back toward the sundeck, too). It's a grand staircase connecting the levels, its first-ever elevator so you don't have to leave the facility if you don't want to take the stairs. Cabins/suites seemed similar in layout and design to what exists.

There's more to come. What a great day.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic