Travelers checks

casperbks

Travellers' Cheques? Gosh, I had forgotten those things ever existed! I remember that cashing them (on land) could be a bit of a pain, even in the days when they were common. Personally, I would not be sorry to learn that they were now obsolete but, in general, it would be one less option for the customer.

Incidentally, there was some talk,a few years ago, about the UK trying to do away with personal cheques but that certainly has not happened yet :)

Carry cash, use the safe on the ship. And one note about cash, for some reason that I can't figure out, in many countries it has to be new bills and with NO tears. They have to be perfect. I've had them sort through and separate into acceptable and unacceptable, and the smallest hint of a tear would force them into the bad pile. You have to find a friendly bank cashier and go through the same process with her before your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry cash, use the safe on the ship. And one note about cash, for some reason that I can't figure out, in many countries it has to be new bills and with NO tears. They have to be perfect. I've had them sort through and separate into acceptable and unacceptable, and the smallest hint of a tear would force them into the bad pile. You have to find a friendly bank cashier and go through the same process with her before your trip.

Vietnam is one those countries will not accept the old bill. We always notify our bank that we need new currency. We just picked these up for our up coming cruise [emoji106]ImageUploadedByForums1443130839.765971.jpg.39e3698db77262aa059a2394c216e277.jpg

M

As a sign of the times there was an enclosure with this month's statement from Chase Bank advising that they would no longer sell travelers checks. When a huge retail institution like them drop out, it is a clear indication of vanishing popularity. I always liked carrying them as a back up reserve, but they would have been useless on our upcoming Cunard crossing. I expect that it will just be a matter of time before the other Carnival brands follow suit.

We have a checking account that we use as a travel account when we travel and expect to need to access cash. It normally haa very little in it, and an email to the head teller will transfer from my main account to this account what I need. This is in a hometown S&L where everyone knows the regular customers.

We carry a bit of cash, add a couple of $100 bills to hubby's belt, but mostly use a credit card on vacation. I have one with no service charges outside of the US.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

As a sign of the times there was an enclosure with this month's statement from Chase Bank advising that they would no longer sell travelers checks...

My own earlier posting - that Wells Fargo sells Amex travelers checks - is also outdated as that was last year. Now with Chase pulling out that leaves a handful of Citibank and Apple Bank branches in all of New York City that will sell or cash them. Amex has an 800 number for assistance but their community board has complaints that those agents have outdated information.

What a hassle that would be - to spend all of one's time in port trying to get to one of the few places that will cash travelers checks! By the time you get your money you would have no time to spend any of that money.:(

An old order is passing. It's important for anyone who wants to hold on to this cruise ritual a bit longer to keep up to date on acceptance policies.

My own earlier posting - that Wells Fargo sells Amex travelers checks - is also outdated as that was last year. Now with Chase pulling out that leaves a handful of Citibank and Apple Bank branches in all of New York City that will sell or cash them. Amex has an 800 number for assistance but their community board has complaints that those agents have outdated information.

What a hassle that would be - to spend all of one's time in port trying to get to one of the few places that will cash travelers checks! By the time you get your money you would have no time to spend any of that money.:(

An old order is passing. It's important for anyone who wants to hold on to this cruise ritual a bit longer to keep up to date on acceptance policies.

I am not going to disagree that travels checks are dying but as long as my bank issues them for free or a small fee and my cruise line cashes them I will continue to use them. I also don't attempt to cash them off the ship.

Shak

Sadly Travels Checks are a thing of the distant past! Businesses won't accept them any more and you would need to find an open bank that "might/ maybe" cash them. It is also possible if you can find somewhere to buy them ( can't figure where) the Cashier on the ship might cash them but you better call the cruise line to verify.

Most people bring some cash, a credit card and an ATM card connected to an account (loaded with your cash needs plus extra for emergencies) we have an account we use just for traveling not connected to our regular banking.

I read on one of your earlier CC posts that you will be renting a car, you WILL need a credit card for that, an ATM Debit card won't work.

In 2009 we were on a landbased holiday in Australia when we got talking to an American lady. She was very upset to discover that her travellers checks were not accepted just about anywhere in the country. Fortunately she had access to other funds otherwise her holiday could have been easily compromised.

I remember even then being surprised that people still used them.

Times change. Methods change. And if you don't adapt, you may well find yourself having problems. That's what forums like this are all about, helping each other avoid the problems.

I'd refer back to the very humorous earlier post in this thread. Hardly anyone relies on the Templars for their vacation cash anymore, they're a bit difficult to find!

My credit union and bank have discontinuted travlers checks... I live in Iowa any idea where I can still get them... thank you for you time and help.:confused:

I don't know where you are in Iowa, but I think

Community Choice credit union may still sell them.

I don't think AAA Iowa or Veridian CU sell them.

Even the custom amount prepaid credit cards are starting to be hard to find.

(You can still buy the set amount pre-paid Visa cards in a few places.)

Travellers cheques are far too expensive for retailers and banks to handle. Too much human intervention and the physical transfer of paper.

Very few people use them, very few banks will cash them and those that do. Charge a high service fee. Some cruise lines and hotels take them as a customer service.