MAD as a Wet Hen

2thesea

Sorry to offend anyone. I had a question re: RCCL's new policy. Thought I'd find help on this thread. Oh well. I'll look elsewhere. :(

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont around here. Had you posted a brand new thread, someone would have surely told you to use the search engine for existing threads and use them :rolleyes::cool: No offense here at all! :) Speaking only for myself of course

Edited by ryano

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont around here. Had you posted a brand new thread, someone would have surely told you to use the search engine for existing threads and use them :rolleyes::cool: No offense here at all! :) Speaking only for myself of course

Ryano - you are so right! Thanks for the chuckle - and the encouragement! :)

I understand what the rules are. BUT when the CEO tells the media that this sort of sale concept is not longer going to be offered I believed him. When a sale occurs LESS then 24hr after a final payment date it seems as though RCI could care less about there loyal cruisers. This sale was posted @ Midnight and I paid our final payment @ 8p. That a little calis don't you think?

I understand that. He has said this many timesin the past as well, during earnings calls. However, I know that it would be much worse for them to sail with empty cabins, than to discount and ruin some "brand image" that Fain thinks exists. (I mean really.. this is where the nose in the air starts, no wonder so many passengers have this issue)

He is responsible to one entity, and one entity only.... the Shareholders! If you have 20 cabins, the week before sailing... well all the food is purchased, all the liquor is purchased.. the staff is already there... there is NO additional overhead cost AT ALL.. it would be irresponsible to not discount and get what money they could for the passage, not to mention what they will make onboard.

I wish they could change it for you, but I hope you have a good cruise anyway.

Edited by Mikew0805

We felt comfortable booking after the CEO (then Fain)made this statement to the media

The cruise line usually offers discounted fares on trips booked anywhere from a week to a month ahead of the ship setting sail. The program was enacted to help fill ships that are under capacity but reportedly upset customers who booked travel early and were unable to qualify to for the discounted rates. Fain also said the deals “confuse travel agents” and “undermine the company’s brand image.”

"As a result in March we adopted a new policy that we would not do any last minute discounts on bookings in North America. Depending on the type of cruise, that last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out, but from that point on we will hold our price at the prior level,” Fain continued.

OK, marketing 101, the price is the price, except it is not.

They are not going to sail with empty cabins because each cabin sold no matter what the price is extra revenue....

Book the deal you like because on some ships it is a deal because it sells out, and sometimes it doesn't which means, you overpaid.

JC

A year old, multi-page thread is not the best place to ask a question, as many people will read from the beginning.

Just post your question in a new thread.

And if I do that, then I'll be flogged for not doing a search to find the answer. Ironically, that's how I found this thread - by searching "price drop". I thought that's what these boards were for - to search and find helpful inforamtion. If you don't find, then post the question. I'll unsubscribe from this one so as not to irritate further. Fortunately, I did get a few helpful and informative answers on this thread.

Sorry for the problems, but one thing I have found that NEVER book a cruise early for the first week of December. We live in Florida we spew don't have to worry about the air fare, but we have seen year after year when the prices go down that week. what made us mad in the past is that was a very busy week at work and we could not take them.

If you do not need a certain cabin then look at the historical pricing and you will find that the prices go down, that's why in the old days they had diamond in December, it was hard to get people the few weeks after thanksgiving and before the holiday season.

I'm trying to decide what to do about my booking for the OA on 12/18. It seems like a lot of money and we are thinking of cancelling and rolling the dice to see what happens after final payment date which is in 3 weeks.;) We are also in Florida not too far from PC. Today the price is almost $200 MORE than what we have it booked it.

Edited by molly361

This is great advice - never even thought of that. I'm so far behind on RCCL's policies. We are 4.5 weeks away from our cruise. The OV category is now cheaper than the Inside cabin we purchased, by about only $29 though, but moving to an OV would have been nice, especially for less $$. My TA said: "RCCL's exact answer is you can cancel and pay the penalties and make a new booking at the current price." No thanks. Wouldn't I forfeit my deposit?? Now I wish I had waited until today to book! I'm now reading that PCL is using a similar policy. What if I had been outside of the final payment due date - could I have changed then? Just trying to get caught up on the new policies. Thanks!

I think you may have chosen the wrong TA! We booked an inside on our Nov. cruise and paid in full. Yesterday I discovered an outside guarantee on the TA's site (an online TA) was now cheaper than our inside. So I wrote to them and asked nicely if we could pretty please get upgraded to an outside. And they did it! Maybe you should try again. Good luck!