Silversea reviews - is it really bad?

JVNYC

I've just returned from a seven day cruise on the Silver Wind. My only other experience of Silversea has been four voyages on Silver Explorer. I have also cruised three times with Oceania.

Generally, I thought that the food on the Wind was slightly better than on the Explorer but in no way compared to the high standard of food on Oceania cruises.

In particular, as a lover of ice cream, I have to say that the ice cream on the Wind was the worst I had ever tasted in my life. On boarding the ship, we went to the pool grill for lunch and I ordered an "ice cream sundae" for dessert. I wish I had taken my camera with me because what arrived was laughable- presented in a standard silver sundae dish there languished two tiny scoops of ice cream measuring no more than two centimetres in diameter. Looking sideways on at the dish, there was no evidence that there were any contents whatsoever. The chocolate ice cream had the texture of cardboard and tasted of absolutely nothing whilst the vanilla ice cream had the added bonus of containing large lumps of ice. I tried the ice cream a couple more times just to check that my first serving wasn't a one off but it was still tasteless, regardlesss of the flavour ordered, so I had to get my daily ice cream fix on shore. As any ice cream lover who has travelled on Oceania will appreciate, this was a huge disappointment!

This is really sad reading.

SS use to make ice cream daily and lots of different flavours were featured. They saw it as a part of the Italian heritage and were proud of the ice cream and it showed. In Terraza there use to be a separate manned ice cream station and Wifey use to ration herself ... self control.

They also use to have espresso coffee machines and as long as you asked for it in the right part of the ship then you were guaranteed real coffee.

Fresh bread also use to be a real feature of SS with fresh pastries as well.

We have a high number of SS nights but not in the last few years and it is because we like longer cruises and are foodies that we have been prevented in taking more nights recently. It is interesting that the same alternatives are being regularly named.

Jeff

Thanks for your note. I truly have been extremely happy with the food on Oceania Riviera and Marina. Every meal has been just wonderful and the breads (wonderful flaky croissants), pastries and desserts are just as fabulous as I can get here in Manhattan (many are actually better than here). Oceania consistently has great reviews when it comes to their food. What amazes me is that so so many of the reviews and posts with Silversea are that the food is not good.....consistently not good....and the idea of "don't set your expectations too high" (which has been repeated by many users) just doesn't work for me. Why wouldn't I want to sail on a luxury ship with great food??!! Crystal and Seabourn have consistent good reviews for their cuisine....Silversea from what I'm seeing does not. I understand that food is not as important to everyone, but for the foodies out there....are Silversea passengers "settling" for mediocre cuisine?

Well then, it doesn't sound like SS is for you.

We have sailed on both.Gave up on SS years ago and stayed loyal to SB.This past May we were on SB for 10days.It was a lovely trip,staff are amazing they really make the trip. The food on the other hand although good was certainly not up to the standards of the past.We noticed a difference but we also have been sailing with them for 15 years Ordered off the menu 2 nights and it was very good.We are trying SS again mainly for the itinerary I am sure they have slipped from 16 years ago. In another comparison our favorite land trip was always in Nevis at the Four Seasons.When we stared there 23 years ago it was 5star plus.Now maybe a 3.5 no longer go there.Prices soar and cuts are made.I am not expecting 5 star food on SS I think those days are gone.I will not starve and it sure beats many other large cruise ship lines. I will try and order off the menu if they still allow it.

Another problem on SB (not for us) MDR is closed most days for breakfast and lunch.I like room service for breakfast and outdoor dining for lunch.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and insights. I will continue to follow with great interest as my intended cruise will not happen until the Dec '16 - Feb '17 timeframe.

But the main point above will unquestionably be the key. The decision will be itinerary-driven. We are fortunate enough to have done a sufficient number of Caribbean cruises. So now we seek new adventures, and new sights and cultures to embrace. If I am still learning, I am still living - no thriving!

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and insights. I will continue to follow with great interest as my intended cruise will not happen until the Dec '16 - Feb '17 timeframe.

But the main point above will unquestionably be the key. The decision will be itinerary-driven. We are fortunate enough to have done a sufficient number of Caribbean cruises. So now we seek new adventures, and new sights and cultures to embrace. If I am still learning, I am still living - no thriving!

Clearly no offense was meant to Caribbean cruisers. You will note the B2B coming up in October! But even that was "music-driven" as we are doing a Blues Cruise.

A bit concerned about the negative food comments, though, as we are foodies. Still, we are planning a cruise to return to East and South Africa, not to spend days in the dining room.

A bit concerned about the negative food comments, though, as we are foodies. Still, we are planning a cruise to return to East and South Africa, not to spend days in the dining room.

There is clearly a market for the food SS provides otherwise there wouldn't be any customers. What pleases some doesn't others and that is how it should be. Itis neither right or wrong .. just different people and different needs.

I think your approach is wise. Think of on-board eating as refeuling and on the travels you have described - as foodies - you will probably want to seek out and experience local fare during the day.

Enjoy your trip.

Jeff

The food issue, as Jeff says, is really a matter of personal preferences. We think that, by and large, the food is very good although slanted, perhaps, towards the American palate? We find the basic ingredients to be of a high standard, the preparation and presentation acceptable but the puddings rather synthetic. That is a great generalisation considering that there is such a variety of food on offer; one man's meat is another man's poison after all.

One thing there isn't is a shortage of options!

I think it also needs to be borne in mind that on any cruise with a number of sea days the kitchen must use preserved ingredients (frozen, tinned etc) which necessarily limits the versatility of the chefs. What it does not excuse, however, is cold food, under- or over-cooked food, or poor presentation or service.

Because Mrs Tothesunset has some experience in high-end catering she has views on the F&B aspect of cruising and finds that SS seems to manage very well within the confines of their remit. She is also quick to pick up on any defects and seems to be able to communicate this to the relevant person without rancour. We have found SS to be very responsive to individual wants/needs and would suggest that rather than air dissatisfaction on here it might be wiser to have a quiet word with the F&B manager.

In the end not all will find what they are looking for or expecting. That would be normal. However, when one considers the significant amount of repeat trade on SS, they must be doing enough right for enough people. And for those that find SS's catering to fall short of expectations they have ther option not to travel again. But surely that judgement for any individual can only be made from their own experience rather than relying on the not always disinterested views expressed by others.

Sometimes threads on here resemble the partisan chants of an FA Cup Final crowd!

I'm sure that is correct.

There are some food pictures on another thread. Some will look at those pictures and say that the "ingredients" are high quality others will see the same pictures and say they appear to be of very low quality and cheap for a so called top-end cruise line. There is certainly considerable upwards scope. I'd be interested to hear Mrs Tothesunset opinions about those pictures. Uber cheap cold meat it seems to me for example. A tin of sweetcorn upended into a big bowl? Some dryish looking smoked fish. Some frozen cakes ... I haven't seen Black Forest Gateau since Berni Inns. Some will love this others not. SS use to make cakes.

In the dinner courses others will see a perfectly adequate portion size others will see it as rather small and mean. A part of a potato is not "potatos". The duck looks like it is thin bacon thick and a breast is it seems four or five starters. Very dainty. :D The carrot portion gives some sizing clues to the pork portion. There are three pictures two of which are main courses. I'm not sure the three courses would be adequate for many with even a fairly petite apetite.

In summary some will look at the pictures and say "wonderful ... how yummy" others will see the same pictures and their hearts will sink. I EMPHASISE that neither is wrong nor right just different needs and expectations. Wifey has seen the pictures - particularly the buffet ... something SS use to be very good at ... and she expressed dissapointment at it's cheap appearence and said that she would not wish to eat the food. Others wil see the same pictures and say "Yummy ... let me at it"!

>>>Sometimes threads on here resemble the partisan chants of an FA Cup Final crowd! <<<<

:D I think some see criticism of the food on SS as a personal slur on them and their choice of line and are intolerant of hearing alternative views expressed! People should be able to cope with the varying views. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I'd be interested to hear Mrs Tothesunset opinions about those pictures.

I think she would find it as hard to judge food from pictures in the same way that I couldn't make a diagnosis from a photo. Not until we get the taste-o-vision and smell-o-vision apps, anyway!

I think she would find it as hard to judge food from pictures in the same way that I couldn't make a diagnosis from a photo. Not until we get the taste-o-vision and smell-o-vision apps, anyway!

Oh come on .....:D :p

A very simple question is ... if you look at the buffet and were managing it and setting out to save cash ... could you? If so how? If you couldn't then the spread is as cheap as it could be. It couldn't be any cheaper. There is no excuse for reformed cheap ham slices and tinned veg and cheap cakes and smoked mackerel. Perhaps the best bits weren't in the piccy!

The buffet use to be a really decent spread of seafood, lobster, crab shrimp, poached and smoke salmon etc. In addition to cheap smkoed mackerel.

Just saying .....:D

Jeff

On all SS ships the only restaurant that there is an up charge is Le Champagne except for The Spirit where there is also a charge for dining in the evening in the Seishin. It is free at lunch time.

As to the food, yes it is not the quality it was several years ago but if you search the menu I'm sure you will find something to your taste. If you find the portions too small they will always bring you a larger one if requested. We often add vegetables that we like that may not be listed. We often like asparagus,green beans and plain spinach for example, though they may well be listed anyway. However our cruises are nearly all itinerary driven though of course the food has to be at least of a certain standard.

I agree with Geoff however that those pictures of the buffet were not particularly appetising, especially if you are a devotee,as I am ,of his regular pictures of his meals on the Cooler. He's a mean cook and wifey is a lucky lady.

I am in no way shape or form a "foodie" so the fare on Silversea is just fine for me. However, as Jeff mentioned, just a few years ago the luncheon buffets featured such entrees as wild boar, kangaroo, and ostrich on the craving stations. Now the choices are roast chicken, baked ham, fish and chips, and meat loaf.

Also notice that cruise prices have not really increased in twenty years. So they just cut what is offered on board to cheapen the experience. I would rather they raise prices instead, but I'm sure Silversea would not stay in business if the other luxury lines did not follow suit.

Good luck with your Nov. 6-20 B2B Caribbean sailing. I noticed that you will be visiting a number of interesting ports and great areas with these two cruises. This includes starting in Barbados and visiting the Dutch ABC islands, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Gustavia/St Barts and Roseau/Dominica. As detailed on my live/blog connected below, we visited seven of these locations. There are a great variety of options and potentials there. Let me know if you have any added questions for what Silversea offers on their excursions and/or what fits your interests/needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

Thank you so much for your kind offer of assistance if needed. I had found your blog previously but just looked at it again - mounting excitement! I am sure that there will be a question or two before we leave, many thanks.

The food on SS has been a failure for years. Try a blind taste test. Order chicken, beef and pork. You can probably toss in a fish and not be able to accurately pick which you are eating.

There are different reasons some people stay with SS. Food is not one of the reasons.

If you're used to the cuisine on Oceania then Silversea really is a few steps down. My partner and I used to love Silversea 10-11 years ago, but even then the food was never stellar aside from some memorable meals in Saletta/Le Champagne. We went back in April on Spirit and the only saving grace was the tempura/sushi/sashimi in Seishin (rest of the menu was passable), with a truly dreadful meal and aloof service in Le Champagne. You really do notice the difference in F&B spend per head between the two lines. For the most part the crew provided great service, but I'm not a fan of giving my cabin number so a waiter can then address me by name after he checked his iPad.....that's not personal service!

I note that SS now serve gourmet hamburgers in the MDR as a dinner option, maybe that's what the SS customers of today are asking for, but IMHO they should concentrate on offering a half decent burger by the pool at lunchtime.

My favourite food moment on SS.......Booking all three La Réserve menus on a forthcoming O cruise :D:D:D