Silversea reviews - is it really bad?

JVNYC

Totally agree, burger at pool grill is like a fast food place.

Obviously preformed and frozen.

Its consistently the same on every cruise.

You gotta give it that.

Same with the fries.

All frozen stuff.

So if you like fast food, it's perfect!! Just add the Heinz.

:-)

The food on SS has been a failure for years. Try a blind taste test. Order chicken, beef and pork. You can probably toss in a fish and not be able to accurately pick which you are eating.

There are different reasons some people stay with SS. Food is not one of the reasons.

I really wouldn't call it a failure. Your statement seems a bit extreme and not very useful.

Oh, that's too bad. Try the taste test some day.

I have been for the last 5 nights.The beef in particular has been great.Not once has a burger been on the menu of the MDR.

And all of this is on the original expedition ship the Explorer.

Plus the staff does not have to ask us our suite number to call us by name.

I have been for the last 5 nights.The beef in particular has been great.Not once has a burger been on the menu of the MDR.

Human nature being what it is, presumably when you took pictures of the food and posted it on your blog these were pictures selected to show the food in it's most positive light and most attractive ... as you've said:

>>That was precisely the reason I took the food photos on our first day as there has been a lot said about the food on Silverseas lately.It is obviously chef dependent but on this cruise the food quality is as good as it was on our first cruises 5 years ago<<

I think the point is, that you see that as being good and impressive food worthy of praise and it's place on Silversea and others would see it very differently as has already been expressed. Some will say you can't tell anything from the pictures. I think most people can make up their own minds. You clearly feel that your pictures prove your point with respect to food quality, others seeing the same pictures thinks it proves the opposite. It proves people have different needs and opinions. One thing that is for sure, is that whilst there are passengers like yourself who are loyal, and satisfied with the food then there will be no incentive for them to improve. Why would they? That I think is what dissapoints those that are previously regular and long term customers that hold a different view from you.

On your other comment, staff remembering passengers and their names seem to be important to some and it is clear that they feel that this is some how carrying some significance or symoblic of something and is therefore really important. It seems interpeted as though it represents some sort of sign that they are either remembered because they are genuine friends or it signifies their significant importance. To others this focus is perplexing becasuse they see it as of no consequence ... and some even more ... including myself ....wish that staff didn't have this task expected of them. I just see it as a rather an uneccessary avoidable constant pressure expected of staff.

Not wishing to start world war three .. just an opinion.

Enjoy your cruise.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I have said the food is consistently good on this cruise and you have convinced me to show even more pics.

By the way when did you last partake of food on Silverseas?

Edited by drron29

Fair enough. i treated your post respectfully and we were discussing the recent food offerings you posted pictures of on your cruise and you respond in an unnecessary confrontational way.

The last time I travelled on SS the food wasn't good but was better than the pictures you have posted. That was why I was hoping for improvements and not a further deterioration.

Anyway, clearly you feel that I am not qualified to discuss this with you, so I will desist.

Have a good cruise.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I have said the food is consistently good on this cruise

I am pleased that you enjoy your food on Explorer. However, it may be that the cuisine on an expedition ship catering to ~125 passengers does not illuminate the quality of food on other ships in the fleet carrying nearly three or four times as many guests. The per diems on the expedition ships are in general also higher than those on the five larger ships, so they may have a budget that can afford better ingredients.

I am pleased that you enjoy your food on Explorer. However, it may be that the cuisine on an expedition ship catering to ~125 passengers does not illuminate the quality of food on other ships in the fleet carrying nearly three or four times as many guests. The per diems on the expedition ships are in general also higher than those on the five larger ships, so they may have a budget that can afford better ingredients.

It is almost certainly the Chef.Pia was on our July cruise to Archangel and is on this voyage.She is good though for any Americans she really doesn't do a good corn beef hash.

Also remember it often is a lot harder to get good provisions where the Expedition ships go.The per diem cost is higher because of less pax with more staff per head of pax compared to the mainline ships.It is not in any major way due to the provisioning.

According to Norman, the new menu will be rolled out across the fleet over time, and I assume he included the expedition ships. So possibly, enjoy whilst you can. And by the way the beef on the recent Whisper cruise was also great.

On your other comment, staff remembering passengers and their names seem to be important to some and it is clear that they feel that this is some how carrying some significance or symoblic of something and is therefore really important. It seems interpeted as though it represents some sort of sign that they are either remembered because they are genuine friends or it signifies their significant importance. To others this focus is perplexing becasuse they see it as of no consequence ... and some even more ... including myself ....wish that staff didn't have this task expected of them. I just see it as a rather an uneccessary avoidable constant pressure expected of staff.

Not wishing to start world war three .. just an opinion.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jeff

Totally agree......I actually find this practice quite intrusive and impersonal. I would expect my Butler to use my name, but the restaurant waiters, bar tenders etc don't actually know me so I would rather they didn't bother.

Sadly personal service by Apple was all to prevalent on Spirit in April :rolleyes:

If you're used to the cuisine on Oceania then Silversea really is a few steps down. My partner and I used to love Silversea 10-11 years ago' date=' but even then the food was never stellar aside from some memorable meals in Saletta/Le Champagne. We went back in April on Spirit and the only saving grace was the tempura/sushi/sashimi in Seishin (rest of the menu was passable), with a truly dreadful meal and aloof service in Le Champagne. You really do notice the difference in F&B spend per head between the two lines. For the most part the crew provided great service, but I'm not a fan of giving my cabin number so a waiter can then address me by name after he checked his iPad.....that's not personal service!

I note that SS now serve gourmet hamburgers in the MDR as a dinner option, maybe that's what the SS customers of today are asking for, but IMHO they should concentrate on offering a half decent burger by the pool at lunchtime.

My favourite food moment on SS.......Booking all three La Réserve menus on a forthcoming O cruise :D:D:D[/quote']

Totally agree about the food on Oceania. Our one trip on SS was on the Shadow. I would suggest Seaborn or Oceania if you are wanting to get what you are paying for.

Totally agree......I actually find this practice quite intrusive and impersonal. I would expect my Butler to use my name' date=' but the restaurant waiters, bar tenders etc don't actually know me so I would rather they didn't bother.

Sadly personal service by Apple was all to prevalent on Spirit in April :rolleyes:[/quote']

I do really appreciate it if barman remember what I drink and how I like it mixed, but this is more association of my face and my drink ... not the need to remember my name.

The only time that name remembering was something I thoroughly enjoyed rather than made me cringe was one night in The Humidor. I was my normal less than well presented scruffy self compared to all the other self-proclaimed business barons all telling highly competitive business stories about themselves and their importance in the Humnidor pecking order, and each one trying to outdo the previous and it was making wifey and myself glum. I do not have an ounce of competitiveness in me and hate it as a trait and spending a night listening to it is tiresome. Talk about food and gossip and trivial things and we are happy.

Each of these important characters had ordered their cigars each one ordering a longer one than the previous persons until I swear they were approaching a meter in length and needed floor support to hold them up. (I joke :) ) And there was scruffy me with my pathetic little Petit Corrona from my travel humidor box. It was safe to say my one was smaller than everyone elses. :eek:

Drinks started to be ordered and they each gave theirs. As the bargirl got to me I openend my mouth and she said "Hi Mr Jeff, you don't need to tell me what you want ... it's your third cruise so far this year and unless you fancy something different, it will likely be the clear Chardonnay grappa ... a very large one ... from the top bar ......."

You could have heard a pin drop and I know it makes us bad people but wifey and I really enjoyed that moment and she still s******s. The reason why it was so much fun was that it didn't matter to us but clearly upset people that it did seem to matter to.

I do value however good hotel record keeping processes. We are lucky to have Royal Ambassador level with Intercontinental Hotels and they keep a very detailed record of what we like from the way we like the furniture in a suite laid out, to the mini-bar contents and even that my wife likes a few bananas in the fruit bowl they deliver daily. Even her favourite flowers. And our birthdays and anniversary which they always mark. And that we like the suite services between 10:30 and12:30 each day and that the mini bar as to be serviced at the same time so we don't get disturbed in the afternnons in case we want a doze. The fact that ALL of this information follows us to every Intercontinental property helps make us feel at home wherever we are and as a result, makes us loyal. But this isn't people remembering stuff, it's keying it into a computer and I value that greatly.

The only other associated thing I would like is almost the reverse of what many seem to want and that is that I would prefer it if hotel managment would authorise staff to use first customer names if it is specifically requested by the customer. Management doesn't like it but some customers would prefer it.

Jeff

EDITED: In case anyone is wondering why a word has been sanctioned .... I have no idea. I have just noticed the software has deleted a word. It was that word that if you took the "b" off of "bigger" and add "sn" you would get it. With an "s" on the end. Good grief, I did not realise that word had connotations.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

EDITED: In case anyone is wondering why a word has been sanctioned .... I have no idea. I have just noticed the software has deleted a word. It was that word that if you took the "b" off of "bigger" and add "sn" you would get it. With an "s" on the end. Good grief, I did not realise that word had connotations.

Think how difficult it is for people from S****horpe or Penistone.

Edited by Tothesunset

Good luck with your Nov. 6-20 B2B Caribbean sailing. I noticed that you will be visiting a number of interesting ports and great areas with these two cruises. This includes starting in Barbados and visiting the Dutch ABC islands, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Gustavia/St Barts and Roseau/Dominica. As detailed on my live/blog connected below, we visited seven of these locations. There are a great variety of options and potentials there. Let me know if you have any added questions for what Silversea offers on their excursions and/or what fits your interests/needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

Terry, from experience could you tell me if we will be ok with American dollars only? We visit 12 islands on the 2 cruises and it could get very complicated. Barbados is the only one which we visit for more than one day - 3 in total. Many thanks.

Terry, from experience could you tell me if we will be ok with American dollars only? We visit 12 islands on the 2 cruises and it could get very complicated. Barbados is the only one which we visit for more than one day - 3 in total. Many thanks.

Appreciate your good question. Much depends on your precise interests, travel style, what you would be doing, etc. For us, things worked well for us with just the combination of American dollars, our credit card and doing some tours through the ship, etc. In some cases, Silversea had a shuttle to get us from the port to the main downtown, lessening the need for local currency. As I re-call, for what we did, we did not need to get local currency in any of our locations. If you seek to do everything DIY and avoid all ship tours, then there is potentially more need for local currency for certain island activities/locations. Does this help? Added questions?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,221 views for this posting.

Because tourism is such a huge portion of the economy, USD is accepted most everywhere. A few exceptions are the French side of St Martin and St. Barths, which make a big deal of being part of "Fraaaannnce". They may take dollars, but you probably will get a crappy exchange rate.

The trick in all of these islands is to come with lots of small US bills. Bring a wad of ones and fives and tens. You can pay close to the price of anything with that combination and have little in local change to deal with. Don't worry about carrying that much money.....leave the bulk in the suite safe and take what you'll need and some extra ashore. And when you get home, you can just deposit it back into your bank. I personally never cruise without at least $100 in ones and another $700-$1000 in fives, tens and twenties. Better prepared than sorry, IMO.

The other thing to remember is that some currencies are multi-country. The Eastern Caribbean Dollar is the official currency of eight countries, for example. See THIS PAGE for details. So you could convert to some ECD and it would work for multiple port stops.

I am not a big fan of using credit cards in second and third world countries - have had accounts compromised several times. I would NEVER use a debit card. As the old saying goes - cash is KING.

A few exceptions are the French side of St Martin and St. Barths, which make a big deal of being part of "Fraaaannnce". They may take dollars, but you probably will get a crappy exchange rate.

That's because they ARE a part of France.

Because tourism is such a huge portion of the economy, USD is accepted most everywhere. A few exceptions are the French side of St Martin and St. Barths, which make a big deal of being part of "Fraaaannnce". They may take dollars, but you probably will get a crappy exchange rate.

The trick in all of these islands is to come with lots of small US bills. Bring a wad of ones and fives and tens. You can pay close to the price of anything with that combination and have little in local change to deal with. Don't worry about carrying that much money.....leave the bulk in the suite safe and take what you'll need and some extra ashore. And when you get home, you can just deposit it back into your bank. I personally never cruise without at least $100 in ones and another $700-$1000 in fives, tens and twenties. Better prepared than sorry, IMO.

The other thing to remember is that some currencies are multi-country. The Eastern Caribbean Dollar is the official currency of eight countries, for example. See THIS PAGE for details. So you could convert to some ECD and it would work for multiple port stops.

I am not a big fan of using credit cards in second and third world countries - have had accounts compromised several times. I would NEVER use a debit card. As the old saying goes - cash is KING.

I disagree with just about everything this guy says. St Barts, for instance, is part of France, just as Hawaii is part of the USA.

Edited by Fletcher

Thank you all so much for your advice. We always have euros so no problem to take some with us. We even have US dollars over from a South Pacific cruise earlier in the year so it will be a very economical beginning to this cruise. Well, at least as far as currency goes!

That's because they ARE a part of France.

I disagree with just about everything this guy says. St Barts, for instance, is part of France, just as Hawaii is part of the USA.

I never said that they weren't a part of France...just that they make a big deal about it and look down on US Dollars. Perhaps actually reading the words that are written might be useful, rather than jumping to an incorrect assumption.

As for disagreeing....what specifically did I say that was in error? About the ECD? About the usefulness of small bills? About wariness using credit cards in 2nd and 3rd world countries? About the inherent dangers of compromised debit cards? Please correct my factual errors.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Thank you all so much for your advice. We always have euros so no problem to take some with us. We even have US dollars over from a South Pacific cruise earlier in the year so it will be a very economical beginning to this cruise. Well, at least as far as currency goes!

Good luck on your upcoming "adventure". As this thread indicates, there are lots of smart, helpful folks on these Cruise Critic threads. They do not always agree for every "detail". Keep the good questions and comments rolling along.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,405 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio