Silversea reviews - is it really bad?

JVNYC

As for comparisons, we recently sailed aboard Regent's Navigator and were not wowed by the food. For those who have sailed Regent AND Silversea I'd appreciate that comparison. And, if you've sailed Seabourn as well, all the better.

We are on Silversea in November and on Seabourn in March and again in June.

Just think how you would feel if someone who did not speak English tried to pay for something in the US with Euros!

If the US economy was largely based on tourism from non-English speaking people who spent Euros, I'd think I'd be pretty accommodating.

Just think how you would feel if someone who did not speak English tried to pay for something in the US with Euros!

Excellent point!

OctoberKat: In terms of comparisons, you may want to do a search. There have been numerous comparison threads between Silversea and Regent. We have sailed both cruise lines and found Silversea to be better in some areas and Regent in others. Specifically, we preferred Silversea's buffet for lunch and Regent's MDR for dinner. A group of six of us paid for dinner in Le Champagne and found both the service and food to be poor. Unbeknownst to us, the other couples complained about the food, service and wafting smoke from next door (note: this was on the Shadow - an almost identical ship to the Whisper). We all were given a complimentary return visit. The second time, it was considerably better (no smoke because we were seated in a different area)..... however, we would not dine there again. Food is subjective........ two people ordering the same dish in a dining venue (on the same night) often have two different "takes" on the food quality and taste.

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...
Good day all. I have never sailed with Silversea and I am considering a 2017 sailing on Silver Spirit.

I've been reading up on all the reviews lately and also comparing Silversea with Seabourn (considering them as well).

I am amazed at how awful the reviews of Silver Spirit have been lately (and in the past when it first sailed) and most surprised is that the food gets terrible reviews. Am I missing something here? I always thought Silversea was one of the very best? How can so many people continually say the food is that bad?

I frequently sail Oceania and think it's time to try something new. Seabourn has a fantastic itinerary for 2017 that I am looking at but so does Silversea. Silversea is also considerably less expensive than Seabourn.

Please let me know if what I am reading on Cruise Critic and other travel sites is true or false.

Thanks.

Just read the last two reviews from September 2015 voyages about the Spirit and they both were very positive; one four stars and the other five stars and both reviews rated dining five stars.

Just a reminder that everyone has their own opinion and the opinion that counts the most is your own and you never will know unless you give it a try.

Happy Cruising.

Keith

Jim and I cruise Silversea next month aboard Whisper from Barbados to the Amazon and back. Our first Silversea cruise and only second ever cruise (mostly, some backstory here having to do with my childhood).

I'm very excited; Jim is a more go-with-the-flow sort. After our first cruise aboard Regent Navigator earlier this year, I have a tentative baseline and am eager for a new ship. Not to mention, the AMAZON!

I have good vibes about this cruise and that's even before I ask about the coffee.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Shadow, from Tokyo disembarking in Hong Kong Oct 18.

From the unpleasant and unexplained, without even an offer of a bottle of water, lengthy delay in the ship arrival in Tokyo , considering that all contact information was available to Silversea, why bother asking:confused:, to the poor quality, constantly repeated ingredients and minute size of servings in the restaurants, I was even served once an asparagus spear cut in half lengthwise. Maybe it was too thick for the policy, the norm being 2 of the thickness of a straw.

Not to mention the quality of the wines included :mad:.

No advise or enforcement to use hand sanitisers apart from the containers placed in places.

Our hotel for the Taijin to Beijing overnight shore excursion, many$$$, was downgraded to a hotel under renovation from 4Seasons, once again no explanation, just has to be accepted as far as Silversea is concerned.

The entertainment consisted mainly of the CD and a couple of other singers commencing at 10pm. Just a bit late for us.

The only pro on this cruise was the staff, always smiling and happy. :)

This does not include officers who were invisible except at the cocktail party.

It was a very disappointing cruise, long way from being ultra-luxury as advertised by Silversea:eek:

Beforehand reading reviews of cruise lines I've sailed on and particular cruises I've taken can be a daunting experience. I was a bit concerned about my Silverseas Silver Spirit cruise beforehand but none of the foreboding events happened to us or the couple we traveled with. A positive, enjoyable experience start to finish. Great service, enjoyed the food and the comfortable cabin. Tastes vary as do attitudes of guests.

I have a mantra - "It's where you are going that counts, not the ship that takes you there." I know many people care more about the food, the quality of the service, the level of luxury etc, but these are all secondary to me. I thought Seabourn was pretty average, to be honest, but I fancied just one itinerary and tolerated the limitations of the ship. I'm about to take my first Silversea trip and I'm taking this attitude on board and hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.

After 100 days with Seabourn, I respectfully disagree with this person's comment. Food and service are exceptional. Had a relative back home in last stages of dying and Seabourn geneously offered me phone calls back home (no cost) to check on this person. My husband and I have never been disappointed with the food on SB whether at the Antarctica, India, the Baltic, the Med, or ports in between. Sorry for your experience but for us, luxury cruiseline travel doesn't get any better than SF!

Can someone tell me what types of beer, whisky, scotch they offer on board Silver Sprit? Also, is it Pepsi or Coke products? Thanks

The beer selections were limited on our last cruise and they ran out of some brands. Seemed to me like 2-3 each of American, British, and German varieties. We're embarking on Spirit in 8 days, if no one else does before we get back, I'll report back on the varieties and the Coke/Pepsi situation.

Can someone tell me what types of beer, whisky, scotch they offer on board Silver Sprit? Also, is it Pepsi or Coke products? Thanks

While I cannot answer for the Silver Spirit right now, I can tell you from being on the Silver Cloud earlier this year, that it was Coke products, not Pepsi. Personally, I like Diet Pepsi, Diet Mountain Dew better, BUT, they did not have those options available. BUT, I survived and did not suffer too much. For liquor, below are a few of my visuals for the main bar selection on this Silversea ship during this time period. If you have a specific desire, ASK! It might not be displayed, but they could have some of the other, specific brand/types available and/or hidden away on the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,371 views for these postings.

From the Silver Cloud in February 2015, here is a sampling for what was shown and available at the main bar near the theater. The fifth picture was posted earlier but fits here to show two of the "best" associated with these beverage options. The bar staff was totally wonderful. Plus, super friendly!! Monteza is so spectacular in being everywhere, flowing well with her super personality and being totally helpful, etc. And Russel is behind the bar doing his magic to prepare great drinks.:

June2015A13_zps6d56japf.jpg

June2015A11_zpshk0spm1d.jpg

June2015A12_zpsmoemxivo.jpg

June2015A10_zpspu6v79hg.jpg

June2015A14_zpsr8wh6gam.jpg

The photos above above show two 12 year old single malts. They're history.

Not just on SS, but other lines as well. Same brands, but they are not 12. Just like you see in duty free stores around the world.

Beers.....SS shines with Hoegaareden, plus plenty of other good choices.