Wine

Rupert girl

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Different cruise lines have different policies. Which cruise line are you on?

For example, it doesn't matter on Holland America, but their policy is evolving. Princess, on the other hand, requires the wine be carried on, and available for inspection.

Edited by CruiserBruce

For example, it doesn't matter on Holland America, but their policy is evolving. Princess, on the other hand, requires the wine be carried on, and available for inspection.

From HAL website

Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?&WT.ac=PopTop_Alcohol

Star princess. Can you buy a bottle of spirits on board to have in your room?

Yes if you go to the Princess website,http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Down at the bottom is a list of spirits you can have delivered to your cabin. On our last cruise I used some of our OBC to order them.

Yes if you go to the Princess website,http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Down at the bottom is a list of spirits you can have delivered to your cabin. On our last cruise I used some of our OBC to order them.

We also use our shipboard credit to purchase bottles of alcohol for the cabin.

I looked at the link you provided and those are baby bottles.

On HAL we can order 1 Liter bottles.

Just returned from a TA cruise from London to Ft. Lauderdale on the Royal Princess. Purchased 2 bottles of wine in Lisbon and 2 more in the Azores. With 6 days at sea, was able to pair wine with dinner. Kept in cabin fridge and opened them my self. Pick the wine of the night and take to the dining room. No questions at all when bringing onboard or taking to the dining room. PS - those 6 days allowed me to finish off the Cuban cigars before reaching home.;)

Harry and Lucille,

Were you just able to bring the bottles onboard at any port? Was there no alcohol check in table? Or did you somehow bypass it accidentally?

In the carib. we have had to pass thru scan on re-entry from shore however, in Europe we first go thru port security. Xray just passed the wine thru and check in on board was just cruise card so that they know if everyone is back onboard.

Dining room staff always offered to carry my wine to the table and offered to pour if I wished. Even offered ice stand if I wanted. Maybe it's just Europe where they seem more civilized in many ways and wine is a normal way of life.

In the Azores, as it was explaned to us, drinking water is an aquired taste. Our guide was many generation decendent. Took us to a local grocery store in the town in which he lived. Complete store. 15' - 5 shelf selection of wines. He was very smart regarding wine. Knew everything about each of them. I trusted in his judgement and asked him to pick out a bottle of the very best red and a bottle of white. Price no object. He didn't hesitate. Bottle of each off of the top shelf (most pricey). Total cost for both? 4.6 euros. Blew my mind. Bottom two shelves were everyday drinking wine and were .69 each. Must have been at least 50 brands and types. Bottle water was .75 each. Island raises pineapple and tea. Folks drink pineapple juice and tea made with bottled water. Most only drink wine. He explained that wine is ok anywhere, any time with caution on moderation. ;)

• 2 months later...

Travelling with Celebrity on our 1st cruise this month. It is a 9 night cruise. Wondering how much wine we can bring onboard and if we can bring it to the dinner in the main dining room in the evening? or must we consume in our cabin. We are 2 adults, 1 cabin.

Thanks in advance.

Travelling with Celebrity on our 1st cruise this month. It is a 9 night cruise. Wondering how much wine we can bring onboard and if we can bring it to the dinner in the main dining room in the evening? or must we consume in our cabin. We are 2 adults, 1 cabin.

Thanks in advance.

length of cruise is irrelevant. 2 750 ML bottles per cabin. celebrity still charges a corkage fee if consumed anywhere but in your cabin( the cabin steward or any bartender can provide both glasses and a corkscrew)

I wanna say the fee is $30 but I may be wrong on that.

length of cruise is irrelevant. 2 750 ML bottles per cabin. celebrity still charges a corkage fee if consumed anywhere but in your cabin( the cabin steward or any bartender can provide both glasses and a corkscrew)

I wanna say the fee is $30 but I may be wrong on that.

Many thanks. I've read that one can bring their glass of wine (poured in cabin) to dinner and that it's only if one is bringing the bottle to the table that the corkage is charged. Corkage is $25 apparently.

Many thanks. I've read that one can bring their glass of wine (poured in cabin) to dinner and that it's only if one is bringing the bottle to the table that the corkage is charged. Corkage is $25 apparently.

correct. they don't know if you bought the glass at a bar on your way in to the MDR.

Do you out your one bottle of wine in your carry on or checked suitcase?

Think this through ... regardless of whether the cruiseline allows it to be in your checked baggage, do you REALLY want it there? Have you seen the way the bags get thrown around?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

The cruise line rule is 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin, but....

My wife and I board separately in different security lines. Somehow 4 - 750 ml bottles end up in our cabin to be enjoyed during the cruise. Not sure how that happens, but thought you'd be interested.

On most ships you can order alcohol and/or wine BEFORE your sail date. It will be in your cabin when you get there. You cannot buy alcohol on the ship or in port and take it back to your room. It is held and you get it the last night or morning.

But, if you buy a bottle of wine say for dinner, you can take that back to your cabin or it will be kept for you and you'll get it the next night in the dining room.

I just take a glass of wine to the dining room, I don't bring the bottle. If you bring the bottle they will charge a corkage fee to open it- even if it's open.I got the wine package once but was not happy. When I got home the wine I got was on sale for $10 less than I paid on the ship! I got 5 bottles and took 2 home as I didn't drink that much.

The cruise line rule is 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin, but....

My wife and I board separately in different security lines. Somehow 4 - 750 ml bottles end up in our cabin to be enjoyed during the cruise. Not sure how that happens, but thought you'd be interested.

Nice one!!.

Now there is a plan!!.

Tx.