UBP price increase, $15 per drink? But...

Jbrattoncruise

The $11.50 is slightly wrong (but maybe the poster misheard, or simply mistyped it here). But what the PCC said about VAT is fully consistent with the text you quoted (which basically says nothing about any specific cruise), and it also matches what people have reported for cruises out of Barcelona this season (including Western Med sailings that do not leave the EU VAT area).

That very well may be, but then the correct answer would have been that her particular ports were not those to which the VAT applied, not dependent on "when" the cruiser bought the UBP.

JMO, but calling NCL to ask about "rumored" changes not yet officially published by NCL is a waste of time. Even if the PCC may be aware of what is coming as of Oct 1, they have probably been instructed to not discuss it until it is official. Or more likely, he will find out about it on Oct 1st or whatever day the change is published here.

Edited by punkincc

That very well may be, but then the correct answer would have been that her particular ports were not those to which the VAT applied, not dependent on "when" the cruiser bought the UBP.
Actually, it is dependent on when they bought or received the UBP. Someone who buys the package upon embarkation will be charged VAT on the purchase price of the UBP.

I agree with you about being cautious of information given by NCL reps, but you've chosen a poor example here.

Actually, it is dependent on when they bought or received the UBP. Someone who buys the package upon embarkation will be charged VAT on the purchase price of the UBP.

I agree with you about being cautious of information given by NCL reps, but you've chosen a poor example here.

I see no distinction made in the T&Cs re when the package is purchased, pre cruise or onboard, only that a VAT tax might be applicable, but I know nothing about the VAT, so you may be right.

The pertinent thing is the rumored changes to which the PCC replied, "as of today" and that is all you are going to get from a PCC until the change is actually official.

That is interesting because doing that would mean that NCL would raise bar prices again, second time this year - in March the raise was already about 10-20%. Raising prices again would make NCL's bar prices at least one of if not the highest on seas - even Celebrity's premium package only covers up to $13.

But what comes to pre-purchased or booking promo UBPs, they do not have means to find out what price (if any) has been paid for any given passenger's package so onboard the current terms apply.

You are assuming something that hasn't happened. I have a problem thinking NCL prices will be the highest of any cruise line, but who knows? Maybe they will be: do you have a crystal ball that will tell us if other lines are going to follow with raising prices? Remember, these companies work pretty close when it comes to prices on board. When one does somehing aother line will follow with a cost increase of some kind.

Where did you read that? Beers are around $6, $7 with tip. Here are some photos of the temporary bar menu introduced last March, when they raised all the prices. (The prices have stayed the same since then, as far as I know.)

Thanks, I am smiling and why? Just the thought of someone actually thinking a beer is $10.00. I love these posters who say, I read somewhere, but they never really know where they read it.

I booked my cruises in January before they charged the service charge n the drink packages. The tips were included free. Is this still the case? I have heard reports from friends that just returned than they had to pay the tips on each drink.

Tips included for those who booked before the promo changed. We booked in April, I think it was: grtuities are included in our drink package. We are sailing in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, I am smiling and why? Just the thought of someone actually thinking a beer is $10.00. I love these posters who say, I read somewhere, but they never really know where they read it.

Well, time will tell, but I fully expect that the Craft Beers in the District Brew House will cost substantially more than a Bud Lite out on the pool deck, likewise the "handcrafted" Bar Lab concoctions. I would not be surprised to see those BarLab martinis hit the $15 mark, which would be in line with drinks in some upscale land venues.

In fact, this might account for the change in UBP limits as shown currently on the European website.

I'm not defending NCL's pricing, but the water they are selling are 12 packs of 1 liter bottles of Aquafina, not 8-12oz big box brand 32 pack. If you compare the retail cost of a 12 pack of 1 liter bottles of Aquafina (which should run $12.99-14.99 + tax at a big box store) we see that NCL are selling these at about a 3-4 times markup including their 18% "service charge", which is about right for the hospitality industry. RCCL sell 12 packs of 1 liter bottles of Evian for $47 including service charge, so NCL is in line with their peers on this one.

The $2.99 12 packs Carnival are selling are 16 oz bottles of "Carnival" branded water (most likely Crystal Geyser). Those 12 packs are sold for $4.99 once onboard. This special price was done to appease cruisers used to bringing on their own water, which Carnival no longer allows. I fully expectt the price to increase within the year to at least $5.99-6.99, and again within a year of that to somewhere around $7.99-8.99. The great deal will NOT last for long.

very true: we usually get big box store water and it is as good I am sure but we have recently decided next time we need to buy a supply it is going to be a good brand and why? if nothing else th bottles don't colapse just by touchig them. Now would I buy a huge supply on a cruise ship? Nope, we take a couple of emply bottles on the ship and fill them with tap water or if we can't do that, we will buy 1 bottle on board and keep refilling it the entire cruise.

You think there's a problem, how about this.

UK NCL showing UBP $64 per day

http://www.ncl.co.uk/already-booked/gifts-and-more/beverage/

USA NCL shows $54 per day

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Both checked 29/09 at 15:25

UK show drinks up to $15.00

Dickie

Don't worry about the EU/UK web change the real price does not change till the 1st, the free packages are not effected as the 18% is included.

Existing bookings still jad the old purchase price and I expect it will go up Thurs.

Well, time will tell, but I fully expect that the Craft Beers in the District Brew House will cost substantially more than a Bud Lite out on the pool deck, likewise the "handcrafted" Bar Lab concoctions. I would not be surprised to see those BarLab martinis hit the $15 mark, which would be in line with drinks in some upscale land venues.

In fact, this might account for the change in UBP limits as shown currently on the European website.

you are right, but I am thinking basic beer which is what the poster seemed to think. Craft beers are very different indeed. Eventually we will see increases, just like in land restaurants I am sure; not at this moment though. I can remember the first time hubby and I went to a place where drinks had gone up to $1.75. It was an upscale hotel in Beverly Hills I think and it was a business dinner. I remember him saying to me: honey, we better just each have one drink tonight, the price is so high. Now we are sayig HOly Cow I don't want to pay $10 for beer.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Does the UK site show the price as $64 plus 18%? The only reason I ask is $54 plus 18% seems to equal $64?

I have just logged in to my booking and it is listed as $54 plus 18% on the personaliser, However it is listed as $64 pp pd on the Beverage Packages page. However there is an ambiguous statement stating they add 18% gratuity and possibly VAT. The GBP equivalent suggests $54 +18% gratuity is used. Confused??

I have the UBP as a freebie anyway.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

My thoughts EXACTLY. Thank you!

Does the UK site show the price as $64 plus 18%? The only reason I ask is $54 plus 18% seems to equal $64?

Beverage Packages

The Ultimate Beverage Package (ages 21 & older) $64,00

per person/day

ITEM #: UBP

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 during your entire cruise.

Please note that we charge 18% gratuity and specialty service charge and on cruises from/to Spain and Italy we are required to charge an additional VAT.

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Restrictions apply. Please read the Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions. Not available for sailings of 2 days or less.

*Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 22 April 2015: FREE Ultimate Beverage Package for sailings on or after 1 January 2016. See full Terms & Conditions.

scraped from the UK website just now.

Can you please tell me where on FACEBOOK you saw this and where you got it from ?

You realize that if you hadn't announced here that is your name, none of us would know? Probably not a good idea to put your real name on blast on a message board of strangers.

It was posted in the FB group 'Friendly Norwegian Freestyle Cruisers'.

Correct. That is where I found it. I just shared the image link off of Facebook. That group has thousands of members who all could view it as well. Posts on CC can't be edited after a few minutes so I can't change it anyways.

Edited by LMaxwell

You realize that if you hadn't announced here that is your name, none of us would know? Probably not a good idea to put your real name on blast on a message board of strangers.

Once on the internet always on the Internet. Always watch what you post if you don't want anything you don't want seen by the public.

Correct. That is where I found it. I just shared the image link off of Facebook. That group has thousands of members who all could view it as well. Posts on CC can't be edited after a few minutes so I can't change it anyways.

thank you for letting me know !! Thank you so much , do you know the name of the person that posted it by any chance ???