A hypothetical question...

redflag216

I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this. Our cruise is booked for this November. My spouse and I are in one cabin, and my mother and son (age 11) are in another cabin. My grandfather is very ill and last night my mother informed me that if he does not pass away before we leave for the cruise, she will not be going. Hypothetically, what is the best way to approach this scenario? Should my mother just be a 'no show'? Would Carnival allow my son to stay in the room alone?

I am hoping someone can give me some insight on this. Our cruise is booked for this November. My spouse and I are in one cabin, and my mother and son (age 11) are in another cabin. My grandfather is very ill and last night my mother informed me that if he does not pass away before we leave for the cruise, she will not be going. Hypothetically, what is the best way to approach this scenario? Should my mother just be a 'no show'? Would Carnival allow my son to stay in the room alone?

It appears from your signature that you are somewhat of an experience cruiser. I don't want you to think that this is a "flaming" but here goes: First and foremost an 11 year old in a cabin ALONE should be a no brainer, NO! As for the mother's situation with her father (your grandfather); if his medical situation is such that his passing could come at any time and it would cause her to cancel, she should cancel now otherwise attempting to cancel at the last minute (say after final payment) reduces any refund and should his passing happen while she is on the cruise and she would want to return home, the cost to do so could be (depending on your itinerary) very expensive.

Insurance for your mother. If your son is in her room, you can add him to her policy. If she had to cancel he would be covered (kids are usually free on outside insurance company policies). Where you would then put him is another topic. There are several ways around it, one being one of you technically in the other room and change room keys once you board.

OP you are past final payment so you are in penalty phase. Since you didn't mention insurance I am guessing you do not have coverage. If recouping some of the cruise fare isn't important then my suggestion would be to just allow things to play out. If mom needs to be a no show then so be it. The only complication would be the type of stateroom booked and their locations. From Carnivals FAQ

" Guests 12 and younger:

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian."

If you are going to have to do some shuffling around of room assignments then the earlier you attempt the more availability of rooms. One suggestions would be to move either you or your spouse in with son. Then if Mom needs to no show there wont be any problems. Once onboard Carnival does not care where you sleep.

I should have added that we are well beyond final payment and my mother said she will just incur the loss if she doesn't go. I'm questioning how my son would be able to check in to his room without my mother present. I would see that as an issue at embarkation. I may also add that the rooms are adjoining.

Since this could be a potential hassle at checkin, why don't you go ahead and ask your travel agent to put your husband in the room with your son and switch your Mother to your room. If your Mom gets to go, say yippee and just switch rooms once you are on the ship. You can work this out at the Purser's Desk once on board so she has a Sail and Sign card with the expenses going to her credit card instead of yours. Doing it at the port before boarding the ship will cause you nothing but headaches because the port people are not necessarily trained for that.

If she doesn't get to go, (boooo) you are all set and will not face any hassles at checkin or boarding because there will still be an adult in the room with your underage son. Since the rooms are connecting, you shouldn't have any trouble with the room attendant for him to have his room and you and your husband share the other room (cruise line doesn't need to know if you keep the door open or not, although, technically I'm sure they would want it to be open or one of you to sleep in his room). I'm a rule bender when safety isn't a factor…what can I say. ;) Only you & your husband truly know whether or not your 12 year old son is mature enough to not be too loud and disturbing for the other neighbors, or be unsafe on the balcony if he were left alone. You hold the best judgement as the boys parents.

And then there is always Survival of the Fittest. Joking!!!

Have a wonderful cruise and good luck in your Mother getting to come along and the Grandfather passing quickly and easily without suffering! Bon Voyage!

Have individual boarding passes. If asked she's boarding later.

Are the cabins near each other?connecting? Easy if connecting or if the balcony(?) can be joined. If not, change your booking.

Edited by SadieN

The rooms are adjoining. And your Mother is going to eat the cost. I don't see a problem. You set up his onboard charging or non charging privilege before you cruise. The only thing that absolutely needs to be on your sons card is his tips and you can add extra for him to spend or not. I would just add cash when you get on board. I assume that since he is your child your bookings are linked, so dining is not an issue. You print his boarding pass and you all check in and get your Sail and Sign cards. The doors between the adjoining cabins stay open and if you can you open the divider between balconies.

Thank you, springs741. That answers my question. Both rooms are balcony rooms, so we would need to make a switch. Whitecap was ready to hand me a bad parent of the year award lol.

Glad you took it well :D No award though :eek: First I hope that your Grandfather is doing well and continues to do so; second, I hope that your whole family is able to make the cruise and enjoy every minute.

Buy your mom travel insurance.

Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits, to reimburse You for the amount of the Published Penalties and unused non-refundable Prepaid Payments You paid for Travel Arrangements when You are prevented from taking Your Trip due to:

1. Your, Your Family Member’s, Your Traveling Companion’s, Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member, Your Business Partner’s or Your Business Partners Family Member’s death, which occurs before departure on Your Trip;

Move your mom into your room. You buy insurance. If your mom has to cancel, insurance will cover any single supplement charge you may have to pay. See insuremytrip dot com for policies. Policies are not that expensive.