What are the MUST things to purchase in Aruba

I Love NC

What are some things you have purchased in Aruba, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!! Thank you all in advance

Do not mean to be too disrespectful to your serious question, but part of the answer here is that, in my personal opinion, there are no "must buy" items from here. There are lots and lots of shops here, but many of these options are for luxury and/or commercial goods. Many of these places pitch "things" as great bargains and/or values. Maybe. Maybe not. My wife bought some Aloe products that were produced here where it is a key export item. These were not cheap. Maybe a bargain. Not totally sure.

Overall, as inspired by the commercially-skilled Dutch, they do lots of "selling" here. Needed??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

Chocolate: :D Dutch Chocolate Bars! You can get it in any store....even the gas stations. This is what I buy for souvenirs and everyone LOVES it!

Aloe:They grow aloe in Aruba so they have products with aloes for sale.

Beer: They have their own brand of beer called Balashi.

Water: This may sound weird but they bottle their own water in a desalination plant and it's the best tasting water in the world. Try it!

Art: I enjoyed their paintings of the Divi Divi trees.

Edited by brown_eyed_poet

Aloe:They grow aloe in Aruba so they have products with aloes for sale.

Beer: They have their own brand of beer called Balashi.

Water: This may sound weird but they bottle their own water in a desalination plant and it's the best tasting water in the world. Try it!

Art: I enjoyed their paintings of the Divi Divi trees.

Interesting above suggestions on the beer and water. Agree as noted earlier that aloe might be a good option to consider. See a couple product examples below. More visuals and on the longer posting that I did titled: "Aruba: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!".

Overall, also agree with cb at sea and Keith that the memories and sights on this island are its best "things" to take back.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,247 views for these postings.

Sept2015PixsA40_zpsurslr8ds.jpg

I have been to Aruba many times and agree with the "nothing" answer. There aren't really "native handcrafts". It's a pretty touristy island with many goods made in China. You can purchase the Aloe products, but they really aren't different from any other aloe you could buy at home.

• Aruban HAND MADE crafts
  • Aruban art work
  • DUTCH chocolate and cheeses are available at the supermarkets
  • Aruba Aloe products (expensive and also sold on the internet to have it shipped to you at HOME)

Dutch chocolate and cheeses are just as easily available to us here in the U.S. than having to make a special trip to the grocery store and then lug it all home. ;)

Aruba license plates were always a cool souvenir. You can buy them on ebay by the boat load. ;)

Aruban Government's newly opened Art Gallery Cosecha

From their website:

Cosecha is a haven for locally made" arts and crafts" that provides locals and visitors with a pure representation of the Aruban heritage. Cosecha showcases the beautiful diversity in arts and crafts from all artisans whom have received the SEYO certification while encouraging Aruba’s creative industry through awareness creation and workshop provisions as to ensure a sustainable makers economy.

SEYO NACIONAL pa ARTESANIA ARUBA

Products found in Cosecha have all been certified by the national seal of craftsmanship "Seyo Nacional pa Artesania"

This seal was established by the government of Aruba through the Department of Culture Aruba, DCA, to recognize locally handmade products so they could be distinguished from imported mass produced products. Considering the growing demand of the tourist for genuine and authentic local products, the government of Aruba saw a certification seal as an opportunity to fortify the position of the artisans.

The DCA, started issuing the Seyo for artisans in 2012, represented by an appointed commission of experts who gave out the certification based on the UNESCO criteria for artisan craftsmanship which are: craftsmanship, originality, esthetics, material use, local identity and commercial value. The Seyo is considered a tool to boost Aruba's creative industry, prompting local artisans to develop more and better locally handmade products.

Cosecha is open Monday from 12PM to 6PM. Tuesday through Saturday From 10AM to 6PM

• 2 weeks later...