Allure vs. Oasis

Koohiichan

Hi, there! Has anyone sailed both Oasis and Allure? We did Oasis last January, Western Carib. We loved it. This January we are on Allure, Eastern Carib. this time. We've been to all the ports before, but just wondering how the ships differ. I know that the amenities are pretty much the same, but how about the shows? Other than Mama Mia vs. Cats, who is the typical headliner, etc.?

Also, how is the Brazilian barbecue. Is it as good as the one on land?

Thanks,

Koohiichan

Hi, there! Has anyone sailed both Oasis and Allure? We did Oasis last January, Western Carib. We loved it. This January we are on Allure, Eastern Carib. this time. We've been to all the ports before, but just wondering how the ships differ. I know that the amenities are pretty much the same, but how about the shows? Other than Mama Mia vs. Cats, who is the typical headliner, etc.?

Thanks,

Koohiichan

The biggest difference is that Oasis sails on Saturday and Allure sails on Sinday. Other than the Broadway shows which you mentioned, they are almost identical now. Also, Oasis had Solarium Bistro and Allure has Samba Grill.

Edited by clarea

Thanks,

Koohiichan

Samba Grill is equivalent to a lower level, chain churrascaria, maybe slightly lower than something like Red or Green or Tucano's. It is not Fogo De Chao or Texas de Brazil. That said, the meat was good and the service was perfect. They do tend to overseason and overcook the meat, but the cuts of meat are very tasty and varied. It has been a few years, but we had a dancer come out and do South American dances as entertainment during our meal.

If you decide to go (and I do recommend visiting at least once while on the Allure), try to find a time when the sun has gone down. The solarium is pretty hot in the early evening and very bright while the sun is out.

We were on Oasis in june in carib and just got off Allure last week in Mediterranean. Ships were identical, example both have Sabors mex rest in back. We kinda prefer Allure but maybe because med was such a great cruise! Mama Mia on Allure was terrific, Cats on Oasis ok (good cast, show just not as energetic as mama mia). Headliner act varies often so can't compare. Last week it was a rock tribute band. Water and ice shows similar so no pref. Don't eat at braz steak house so no clue.

I highly rec taking the large ships in Europe, lots of fun! The Harmony is there next year I believe.

Thanks,

Koohiichan

Most people say no, but I've never been to one on land and I loved this place. My tip for this on the Eastern itinerary is don't schedule it for the last hour before sunset on the final days of the cruise (Thurs-Sat) You will be blinded!

Samba Grill is equivalent to a lower level, chain churrascaria, maybe slightly lower than something like Red or Green or Tucano's. It is not Fogo De Chao or Texas de Brazil. That said, the meat was good and the service was perfect.

We didn't experience quite the same thing at Samba Grill on Allure in June. In fact...we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food, wide selection, robust salad bar choices, and terrific service. We've been to more than 15 Brazilian places in numerous locations...and Samba Grill was one of the top 2 or 3 to date. We'd absolutely go again (and plan to do so).

Also on Allure...150 Central Park has been a great specialty restaurant for us now 5 time in total. Great food, top shelf service, and wonderful atmosphere.

Both Oasis and Allure have been very positive memory experiences, the most recent being Allure ported in Barcelona.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I've been on both. Allure twice (in Carribean and Med.)

Allure had a much different 'feel' in the med due to older passengers and nationalities were more diverse. American's were still the highest percentage with 1,400 passengers (compared to 5,000+ in carribean). Almost no kids.

In the carribean, in the summer, it's a whole different 'ship' IMO.

As far as amenities, not that much different. Never ate at specialties or WJ even once in the med because the MDR is always good.

Mama Mia is much more entertaining. Probably the best of the 3 I've seen on Oasis class.

Thanks,

Koohiichan

As per previous posters, the major differences are the day each sails and the Show. We truly prefer Mamma Mia to Cats- Also, sometimes the rate might be slightly different and the itinerary different depending upon the week.

You cannot go wrong with either ship! The Allure is newer and I believe a couple of inches bigger! With regard to Sabor, when it first opened on the Oasis, they had a nice floor show with people dressed in beautiful carnival type attire. It was special and made up for the fair food! They stopped the floor show.

Enjoy.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thank you all for the advice and awesome tips. I had no idea there was no Solarium Bistro. This will be a change for us as this was our go-to breakfast place and we had dinner there twice (no charge!) on our last cruise. I have to decide if the Brazillian place is worth it for us as Fogo de Chao is our favorite. Hmm. Anyway, we loved Sabor and think it was the best deal on the ship. I wish I had a glass of their sangria right now!

Happy Sailing!

Koohiichan

Been on both. They are the same ship to us. And we loved both. We ate at the Brazilian restaurant and was very disappointed. I like the Brazilian steak houses in Ann Arbor and Las Vegas 100% better. The ship Brazilian restaurant is off our bucket list

What I really liked about these two ships that they have a running track that

is separated from the general public. We were on the Quantum last Feb. and

it was really hard to use because people would just stand in the middle of it and wouldn't move for the runners or walkers. And it got everyone upset on both sides. I know some will say who cares. But it was a popular track to use.

Been on both. They are the same ship to us. And we loved both. We ate at the Brazilian restaurant and was very disappointed. I like the Brazilian steak houses in Ann Arbor and Las Vegas 100% better. The ship Brazilian restaurant is off our bucket list

it was really hard to use because people would just stand in the middle of it and wouldn't move for the runners or walkers. And it got everyone upset on both sides. I know some will say who cares. But it was a popular track to use.

Me, too! I loved the track. I love that it is covered in most places, but you are still outside. I usually do some spinning on cruises, but no need on this one as I could run everyday, even if it were raining or very sunny. I saved at least $50-$75 on the classes I would've taken.

The problem on the Quantum with the track (one of the problems on the Quantum) is that dozens of people are waiting on a huge line ( two hours sometime) to go on the North Star. They block the track-

Believe it or not, my favorite place to be on the Allure was the Solarium. And because it was conveniently there, we had breakfast and lunch many times in the Solarium Bistro. My last cruise was on the Jewel, and while the Solarium area was nice, I missed the Bistro option. For that reason, I chose the Oasis for my next cruise in May 2016.

The show on Allure when I sailed several years ago was "Chicago" but I skipped it, didn't interest me. So what will be the show on Oasis next May? Or do they change the show every season? Thanks

Believe it or not, my favorite place to be on the Allure was the Solarium. And because it was conveniently there, we had breakfast and lunch many times in the Solarium Bistro. My last cruise was on the Jewel, and while the Solarium area was nice, I missed the Bistro option. For that reason, I chose the Oasis for my next cruise in May 2016.

The show on Allure when I sailed several years ago was "Chicago" but I skipped it, didn't interest me. So what will be the show on Oasis next May? Or do they change the show every season? Thanks

The big show on Oasis will most likely still be CATS.

We sailed the Oasis on her 5th cruise....Loved the ship....43 cruises and it's be best ship we've sailed on.....Lots of nice things to do and enjoy....Now we are doing the Allure on Jan 24, 2016.....Just wish they could do a better Caribbean sailing.....But the ship is the destination......Plus it never snows in the Caribbean in January:-)....

Bob E

Actually chicago was excellent. We loved hairspray which was on the Oasis. Most shows stay on the ship for a couple of years, unless things are changing. That is why we saw chicago twice. I believe Mamma Mia is now on the Allure. I also saw that show on the ship previously, but it is so much better then cats which is now on the Oasis. You might like it, but if Chicago didn't interest you, I do not think Cat's will. Many other options on the ship to enjoy.

I was on the Oasis a few years ago and just got off the Allure in August. Basically the ships are the same. I thought Cats was just OK but my husband was not a fan. We didn't eat at the Brazilian Steakhouse but I thoroughly enjoyed lunch at Giovanni's. It was only $15 pp and far more than we could eat. The headliner show was a rock band that was great. I am not into rock but the show was so good we saw it twice. I'm booked for the Anthem on Dec 27th. Can't wait.

Been on both. Did Oasis first, but enjoyed Allure better. Attribute it to I knew the layout of the ship better and was able to navigate around without getting lost. Also we loved the "beach" pool on Allure. Spent most of our pool time on Oasis in the solarium. Otherwise they are equal. Fabulous time on both. I have yet to take a cruise I didn't like. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info about the show on Oasis. I think the reason why I did not care to see "Chicago" was that , unfortunately, I had seen the movie which I hated. Maybe, some day, I'll give it a go, but, it was not on that cruise. I like the music of "Cats" so I am looking forward to seeing it on Oasis.

Of course, my favorite production is "Les Miserables" so I'm a snob.:)

Allure wins by 2 inches according to Wikipedia!:D

Captain Per was probably joking, but at the Crown & Anchor event last week, he said that at Oasis' drydock last fall there was some slight change done to the azipods and that Oasis is now longer than Allure. I'm a little skeptical of that, but hey, who knows?

And yes, the show next year will probably still be Cats. I believe Royal signed a multi-year deal with Really Useful Group for Cats.

• 3 weeks later...