Not a Newbie but Some Questions

MrsMuir

:confused:

I'm sailing with a friend who has never cruised, so she is a "Star Mariner."

Will she be permitted to join me at the Mariners' lunch on embarkation day?

At the Mariners' Luncheon during the cruise?

We are flying to Venice from LAX to JFK and on to VCE. We don't have much time to board the flight to VCE, but it is in the same terminal. I'm assuming that we can just find the gate and board when it's time, without going through any security mishegoss. Please tell me if my assumption is correct.

Thanks! I should be an old hand at this but my middle name is "Details."

Mrs M.

On embarkation day just give your cabin number at the door and she will be allowed in. The later Brunch will be by invitation, and she will not get one ... but I have yet to have anyone check for invitations, so she could probably slip in if you're so inclined. :)

If your invitation to the luncheon does not include your friend, maybe stop by the front desk and ask if your traveling companion may attend with you. Star perks work for all in the same cabin so maybe.... or just walk in together as have never seen invitation checked and there is always open seats.

Suppose everyone decided to "bring a friend" who wasn't invited? How long would it be until that perk was removed?

HAL doesn't post guards at the MDR door to check your credentials, they just quietly remove the perk for everyone.

I find it hard to believe a few extras would endanger this "perk" or change it for others.

HAL has to feed all on board on a sea day anyway, whether they choose Mariners Lunch #1,2,or 3, or choose a different venue. A few more people won't change the service in a group that size. The extra cost appears to only be the tile here.

On my last cruise my neighbor ( first timer) told me she had gone by the MDR and saw it was closed (for mariners). The DRM quickly checked for space and invited her in. She was ecstatic. She even got a tile. ( I filled her in on Captain Cards wonderful art work. She happened to be a water colorist).

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Suppose everyone decided to "bring a friend" who wasn't invited? How long would it be until that perk was removed?

Good point, although I suspect that it will not satisfy those who lack common manners ... after all, if you need to give reasons for not acting in a boorish manner (such as going to an invitation-only event without an invitation), IMO the advice will not suffice.

Geeze Louise....I merely asked a simple question and am labeled boorish. I asked three questions, actually, but my concern for whether or not my cabinmate may be included in a couple of lunches or not got all the attention. I have no intention to sneak her into a venue reserved for Mariners. I was aking about protocol because I do have good manners.

This is the first time since 1978 that I will be sailing without my 3-Star DH (he is fine but chooses to avoid long flights). I want to make sure my good friend enjoys her first cruise.

That is all. Now go and think about your own manners amd how you reply to questions from your fellow CCers and HAL travelers.

Mrs M

I for one knew you weren't being boorish. I had the same issue on my previous cruise, but just skipped the Mariners lunch. I wish I could recall the other issue I faced as a two star cruising with a newbie...now I remember! Yes, she could go with me to the embarkation lunch. I asked and was told "Sure."

Geeze Louise....I merely asked a simple question and am labeled boorish. I asked three questions, actually, but my concern for whether or not my cabinmate may be included in a couple of lunches or not got all the attention. I have no intention to sneak her into a venue reserved for Mariners. I was aking about protocol because I do have good manners.

This is the first time since 1978 that I will be sailing without my 3-Star DH (he is fine but chooses to avoid long flights). I want to make sure my good friend enjoys her first cruise.

That is all. Now go and think about your own manners amd how you reply to questions from your fellow CCers and HAL travelers.

Mrs M

You got answers to all three of your questions, and no one called you "boorish". You may not like the answers, but sometimes - when one asks a question - the answer isn't to their liking.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mrs M

Nothing in my earlier post accused you of being boorish - my comments were directed to a couple of other posters who were advising you to sneak your uninvited guest in with you. Obviously the proper way to handle such a situation would be to ask permission to bring a guest with you, as Post # 12 indicates. That should not be so difficult to understand, but I do apologize if you took my post as accusing you of being a boor.

Hope you have a good cruise!!!

Edited by avian777

MrsMuir,,,

Your friend will be welcome at the Embarkation Lunch, if they have one on your ship for that cruise.

No one will care if she accompanies you to Mariners Brunch. It truly isn't a big deal, IMO

(I likely wouldn't go if it were me but that is my personal choice.)

MrsMuir

I am so sorry to see the bad turn that your thread took. There have been several people attacking many of us on this board.

Go and enjoy your cruise.

Until you are on the ship you will not know if there will be an Embarkation lunch or not.

Do take your friend to the Mariners lunch/brunch which is later in the cruise. People line up and it can be a mob scene and no one checks to see who should be there or not. She is staying in a cabin with a Mariner -- and that counts.

I believe cabinmates receive the mariner benefits of the "ranking" mariner in the cabin. So if your friend is your cabinmate, she will be welcome and expected.

This was not the case on my January cruise. I got invitations to the Mariner Society events, but my husband, who was on his first cruise, did not. Everything was addressed to me, and it did not indicate anywhere that he was welcome as a +1.

He got the discounts on drinks at the Explorations Cafe and would have gotten the discount at the alternate dining venues had we gone, but he did not get invitations to Mariner Society events.

This was not the case on my January cruise. I got invitations to the Mariner Society events, but my husband, who was on his first cruise, did not. Everything was addressed to me, and it did not indicate anywhere that he was welcome as a +1.

He got the discounts on drinks at the Explorations Cafe and would have gotten the discount at the alternate dining venues had we gone, but he did not get invitations to Mariner Society events.

The question was about the embarkation lunch, not the Mariner's luncheon which takes place during the cruise.

MrsMuir

I am so sorry to see the bad turn that your thread took. There have been several people attacking many of us on this board.

Go and enjoy your cruise.

Until you are on the ship you will not know if there will be an Embarkation lunch or not.

Do take your friend to the Mariners lunch/brunch which is later in the cruise. People line up and it can be a mob scene and no one checks to see who should be there or not. She is staying in a cabin with a Mariner -- and that counts.

Well said.

MrsMuir

No one was attacked, as far as I can see. What was pointed it is that an invitation-only event is, generally, only for those with an invitation.

Mrs M

Mrs. M.. I can understand why you would think the nasty comments were directed at you.. Unfortunately, those who directed these comments failed to quote the post (s) they were actually replying to, which is proper protocol on this board..

If I were you, I would go to the Front Desk & ask if your cabin mate could attend the Mariner's luncheon with you, which is later in the cruise..

However I know that your cabin Mate would be welcome at the embarkation lunch with you..

The question was about the embarkation lunch, not the Mariner's luncheon which takes place during the cruise.

both lunches, suggest you re-read her post..[/size]

Did you ask about why your DH was not invited.. I can understand if they don't invite a non-relative cabin Mate, but not to invite a spouse, is a bit weird.. IMO that was an oversight on HAL's part..

I'm looking at a printed copy of the Mariner Society FAQ section of these rewards: I printed all of the questions & answers when they first came out with the star Mariner program from the FAQ section of the Mariner Society benefits on HAL's WEB site. (36 questions & answers on five full pages..:eek:)

Quote Question 12 If a 3 star Mariner shares a stateroom with a 2 star Mariner, does each guest receive separate benefits?

Answer: All guests sharing a stateroom as part of the same booking will receive the benefits earned by the highest star level. Guests sharing a stateroom under different booking numbers receive individual star level benefits (this includes 3rd & 4th guest sharing the same stateroom) Unquote

Now I interpret this to mean..

A) If Mrs. M's Cabin Mate is under a different booking number she will not receive Mrs. M's rewards...

B) But If your DH & you were under the same booking Number then your DH should receive the same rewards that you do, which IMO would include the Mariner Brunch or Cocktail Party's..

Edited by serendipity1499