Would you miss this?

Topo Gigio

An unofficial poll was done on here before and the majority like it. I haven't met or talked to anyone personally that has an issue with it either.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

We (DH and I) cruise with my parents. Honestly, this was absolutely the biggest complaint I had and my DH almost didn't want to go to the MDR because of it. We talked to a lot of people on the cruise - around our age, our drinking buddies onboard (we're early 30s, I was 29 at the time I was last on a CCL) - who also felt similarly to us and felt it was a tacky practice that made us feel bad for the waiters. It really bothered my DH, who's very empathetic, so I remember us talking about it with others a few time. Most didn't feel as strongly as he did but a lot of them said it was really kitschy/tacky and that they also felt bad for the waiters.

I don't mind the slow service in the MDR (drink service is ridiculously slow, but we bring our own from the bar outside to start us off) and love the YTD even with the wait. It's not time that bothers me. I mind the dancing because it seems degrading to the wonderful staff Carnival has. You can tell some of the waitstaff isn't into it, and it really feels ancillary to the actual job of providing wonderful table service. It makes me feel like I'm someone from the Capitol watching the Hunger Games or something. I wonder if it will fall out of favor as our generation cruises more and more and gets older (we are early 30s, though my parents in their 50s hate the dancing too; they don't feel bad for the waiters - they just mind the interruption in service).

Edit - I don't think only on Formal nights makes sense because there's nothing Formal about most of the dances. But only on select nights would improve our cruise dramatically and make DH more interested in the MDR (I usually have to drag him).

Edit again - spelling!

Edited by berrieh

I hate the dancing and I feel so bad for the servers. I always feel like they are circus performers and I hate the circus too.

I also hate the birthday singing at local places back home. Everyone in my family knows those servers better NEVER stop at my table.

I totally agree...very demeaning to wait staff.:mad:

It's been several years since we last sailed on RCCL, but I remember them having a string trio (violin, guitar, and cello) in the MDR that would provide pleasant music to listen to while eating. I don't know if that's still provided or not. And of course, just as with Carnival, the wait staff sings and dances before the main course has been served. I can't say that I'm a big fan of the wait staff singing and dancing, but I don't hate it. Given a choice, if there was one, I'd rather have soft background music than the wait staff singing and dancing like trained monkeys. JMHO.

Wouldn't miss it one bit. We find it annoying. I don't necessarily feel it slows service but just don't care for it. If we are in a nice restaurant at home I don't expect to have the wait staff start singing and dancing nor would I want them to. Just my opinion but I think it detracts from the dining experience. Especially when we're at a table behind the waiter and get their butt shoved in our face by the dance moves.

I totally agree...very demeaning to wait staff.:mad:

Not sure that I agree with you on that statement. Yes there are some that you can tell really would rather not participate, but many really get into it. Probably more of the "when in Rome" mentaility. Cruise ships are not the only dinner experience that does this.

On an 8 day cruise you do get a 2 or 3 day reprieve from it but most people enjoy it and I think if it were taken away more would bitch than those that are annoyed by it.

Another great comment was if you are in a hurry eat somewhere else. I actually feel that way on some days. I just don't want to sit for 2 hours to eat. So on those nights we eat elsewhere. So many choices, especially on a ship like the sunshine.

Edited by kublaieod

We have only been on two Carnival cruises, my DH and I (my parents take us on cruises semi-regularly and I went a lot as a kid/teen too, but we were RCCL when I was growing up and once Disney; then lately they were on a Princess and Celebrity kick), but we are going on another one again soon. Honestly, this was absolutely the biggest complaint I had and my DH almost didn't want to go to the MDR because of it. We talked to a lot of people on the cruise - around our age, our drinking buddies onboard (we're early 30s, I was 29 at the time I was last on a CCL) - who also felt similarly to us and felt it was a tacky practice that made us feel bad for the waiters. It really bothered my DH, who's very empathetic. This and seeing some places at ports where animals were mistreated are the only 2 things I can remember really "bringing him down" any cruise. And seeing staff mistreated by guests. That bothers us too. We really are super happy with cruising most of the time. Very little bothers us.

I don't mind the slow service in the MDR (drink service is ridiculously slow, but we bring our own from the bar outside to start us off) and love the YTD - other lines have it too, and I like it most places; hate assigned seating with random people or at a set time. I mind the dancing because it seems degrading to the wonderful staff Carnival has. You can tell some of the waitstaff isn't into it, and it really feels ancillary to the actual job of providing wonderful table service. It makes me feel like I'm someone from the Capital watching the Hunger Games or something. I wonder if it will fall out of favor as our generation cruises more and more and gets older (we are early 30s, though my parents in their 50s hate the dancing too; they don't feel bad for the waiters - they just mind the interruption in service).

Edit - I don't think only on Formal nights makes sense because there's nothing Formal about most of the dances. But only on select nights would improve our cruise dramatically and make DH more interested in the MDR (I usually have to drag him).

That's all well and good and your opinion. Everyone has one. Again, it doesn't bother me.

I don't think it is degrading either. Or out of the scope of their job. They not only serve but converse with passengers, play with our chubby cheek kids, etc. It's as much a part of their job as anything else they do. And I'm quite sure if you looked at me on any given work day, you would catch a look of "not this again." Everyone has things at work that they may not feel like doing. But we do it, because it's part of our job.

Going to the steakhouse for a quiet, calm dinner sounds great. Nothing wrong with that. That's the great thing about cruising - the option to pick what you want to do when.

I can understand seasoned cruisers being over it. But not everyone is. And for every cruise I take having been on many, there's a bunch of people sailing on that same trip for the first time.

I actually have never gotten up to dance. I just enjoy watching on the select nights they do it. And as I said before, I, think it is time they use some new music. Maybe people who no longer enjoy it would again Seriously - the songs are old.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Going to the steakhouse for a quiet, calm dinner sounds great. Nothing wrong with that. That's the great thing about cruising - the option to pick what you want to do when.

It does suck that the only quiet option is a pay option though because people would view it as a "cutback" to make the MDR more like a nice restaurant. Singing/dancing doesn't really seem like anything a nice restaurant on land would do (quiet orchestral music with a piano or violinists sure! But I definitely don't expect those - wouldn't mind them).

I can understand seasoned cruisers being over it. But not everyone is. And for every cruise I take having been on many, there's a bunch of people sailing on that same trip for the first time.

My DH complained about it the most on his first CCL (first cruise for him too) so I don't think it's just "getting over it" - some people see it as tacky from the start. I never saw it till I was older/had been on many cruises, and I didn't like it the first time either.

I actually have never gotten up to dance. I just enjoy watching on the select nights they do it.

We have actually never seen any guests dancing! I didn't know that even happened. We have seen some guests twirl napkins but not really dance, and most didn't look "excited" except a few kids (they should do something like this at the Camp Carnival dinners for 6 year olds for sure - I get that kids would like it). We get YTD just for us or us and friends we made or us and my parents (2-4 tops), we go relatively late, and we ask for a secluded corner though so we may be near folks who feel like us about the spectacle. We also tend to go on longer cruises and at peak season (I'm a schoolteacher) so it may depend on the crowd.

Edit - I wouldn't mind if they just played music for guests to dance and brought in entertainment staff to run something. But having waiters dance seems demeaning and tacky. JMO, of course, but nothing to do with "getting sick of it" - just thinking it's a poor idea in general. Won't stop us from cruising CCL which is our favorite for the comedy, food options, fun bars, and good ports at cheap prices.

Edited by berrieh

Yes, I would. There have been enough cutbacks and changes already. Leave at least SOME of the traditional Carnival experience in place. JMHO.

Agreed! Don't see the reason to have such disdain for this. Gee are people really to uptight to just enjoy and go with the flow on a VACATION??? Its a freaking cruise....

Here's an idea, EAT, and leave before the dancing starts!! There are other dessert options on the ship, OH WAIT, you want your FREE dessert you "Paid" for? Then suck it up buttercup!

Sorry for the rant, many of the posters on here are just like society now days... Just gripe and complain about anything/everything instead of being happy for what they have......you COULD be at home where you don't have to worry if anyone is singing/dancing at dinner time....

Agreed! Don't see the reason to have such disdain for this. Gee are people really to uptight to just enjoy and go with the flow on a VACATION??? Its a freaking cruise....

Here's an idea, EAT, and leave before the dancing starts!! There are other dessert options on the ship, OH WAIT, you want your FREE dessert you "Paid" for? Then suck it up buttercup!

Sorry for the rant, many of the posters on here are just like society now days... Just gripe and complain about anything/everything instead of being happy for what they have......you COULD be at home where you don't have to worry if anyone is singing/dancing at dinner time....

My first Carnival cruise was in 1992. I'd be pretty good if they stopped making the wait staff perform like circus animals and focused on improvements to food quality and more staff for better guest services. You're going to have a stroke in a minute it seems like.

My first Carnival cruise was in 1992. I'd be pretty good if they stopped making the wait staff perform like circus animals and focused on improvements to food quality and more staff for better guest services. You're going to have a stroke in a minute it seems like.

I have never seen anything but smiles and laughs from the crew AND the guests. If you don't like it go to another line that doesn't do it.

I'm not gonna have as stroke, haha, its just why does everyone gripe and expect Carnival to change for them??? There ARE other options if you don't like it.

If you don't like it go to another line that doesn't do it.

The lowest common denominator response on cruise critic. OP asked for opinions. you've shared yours. If you like the dancing, great. If others don't, that's fine. No need to blast people for their opinions and tell them to go away. Always such a low brow response.

Edited by LMaxwell

My first Carnival cruise was in 1992. I'd be pretty good if they stopped making the wait staff perform like circus animals and focused on improvements to food quality and more staff for better guest services.

So according to your cruising expertise, if servers stop dancing, improvements can be made to food quality, hahahaha!!!!! Do you have any proof to back up that claim. Too funny.. But sad for you, very narrow minded thinking, or are you a teenager?

:)

Would be very happy to see it go. It doesn't add anything to my cruise experience, and in many instances, detracts from it. (The food is SITTING RIGHT THERE! Could someone please bring it to me? Please? No? Fine, I'll wait longer and get cold food... this actually happened to me last week- our dinner, for 4, took over 2 1/2 hours, including the time we spent staring at our main course sitting on the serving station while they danced.)

There always seem to be a few waiters who REALLY enjoy the dancing and really show off; but we are equally entertained by the ones who clearly are NOT into it. Same with the guests- some seem to be thrilled, and others look SO visibly annoyed by it, it is funny.

Edited by skittl1321

So according to your cruising expertise, if servers stop dancing, improvements can be made to food quality, hahahaha!!!!! Do you have any proof to back up that claim. Too funny.. But sad for you, very narrow minded thinking, or are you a teenager?

:)

Yes, my first Carnival cruise was 23 years ago. I am a teenager.