Not Oceania but Paul Gaughin

Mura

I'm watching the Smithsonian show on cruise ships and tonight it is the Paul Gaughin. They just docked (I forget where) but are running out of fish and the local town didn't have any because while the ship had trouble docking, the fishermen also couldn't go out to sea. They did pick up a lot of fresh fruit ...

But the lack of fish is a problem! No doubt they will solve this one so that the passengers don't go hungry.

They just suggested tuna ice cream ... not sure I'd go for that!

Mura

I'm watching the Smithsonian show on cruise ships and tonight it is the Paul Gaughin. They just docked (I forget where) but are running out of fish and the local town didn't have any because while the ship had trouble docking, the fishermen also couldn't go out to sea. They did pick up a lot of fresh fruit ...

But the lack of fish is a problem! No doubt they will solve this one so that the passengers don't go hungry.

They just suggested tuna ice cream ... not sure I'd go for that!

Mura

Hmmmmm....

If they are running short of fish for passenger meals, I'm not at all sure that using any of what *is* available in ice cream :eek: is the best use of the supplies.

:confused:

And what would the appropriate wine pairing be? ;)

GeezerCouple

The way I understood it the ship needed provisions at the next island but because of the weather difficulties the fishermen couldn't go out to sea. However they DID have tuna on hand. The chef was trying to figure out how to be creative with tuna and not much else (in terms of fish).

No one appeared to be starving and the passengers who were quoted were quite delighted with their cruise. Not that I would expect them to film someone who wasn't.

Clearly you would want a red wine with your tuna ice cream ...

Mura

We sailed on PG a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It must be a bit difficult sometimes for the ship when needing provisions in some of the smaller ports. On our one sailing from Fiji they were running low on toilet paper so they had to purchase it on one of the small islands. It wasn't the same quality as what they usually had but when one is faced with the alternative who is going to complain? :eek:

I think I would wash my tuna ice cream down with some champagne. Thankfully they had a good supply of that on board.

One year the shipment of 5000 eggs which they need for a week was left out of refrigeration by customs and had to be discarded. The Hotel Manager, the very capable Nelson Trindade,

Rushed to Carrefours in the morning and bought all their stock. Then he had to approach small time local egg suppliers to corner the market. A new shipment couldn't be arranged until the ship was in Bora Bora a few days down the road.

Having solved the egg problem he stood at the dining room during the farewell brunch wiping plates while he told us his woes. I christened him Mr.Can Do Trindade. Sad to say he is on the Moana now and maybe forced to leave the PG family. I hope our paths cross in the future wherever he gets to.

This is the quality of the PG staff. They are in a class by themselves.

Some people would consider that a trial but *I* certainly wouldn't! (Not that I like to drink hard liquor with my meals.)

While I have seen enough comments here about South Seas cruises that I had always figured if we did this area we'd use PG, but I was certainly convinced by the presentation. Of course, they are wanting to attract passengers to the ship, not turn them off! But from previous comments (not to mention the tuna ice cream), a smaller ship can have a problem with provisions that larger ships might not.

By saying that I am assuming that Marina's 1250 passengers couldn't exhaust the provisions on board ... which I would guess is NOT necessarily true!

Mura

Should we do this itinerary (I am now more inclined to do so than I was before) I would prefer your way as well. I love Marina, but for this cruise I think PG would be far superior -- as many Oceania lovers have said in the past.

Mura

When we were in Moorea the Marina couldn't anchor in the lagoon after trying three times and then sailed on.

I think the difference in perspectives is that the PG brings the spirit of FP on board while other lines look outward at FP.

The PG is an older ship, small cabins with decent but not spectacular dining however it makes this up with a great deal of charm and super service. I know many ships have a loyal clientele but considering the fairly static itineraries the number of PG fans is amazing and the fans are amazing too!

Why don't you look at the 2017 reunion and do back to back for a total of 17 days. The reunion cruise last year was a lot of fun even for newbies!

Ended said it well, the spirit of Polynesia is already on board, all the time. The PPg is a ship that is easy to love not only for Polynesia on board but the crew. The loyal base is in love with Polynesia, the crew and other seasoned travelers on the PG.

Not to take anything away from Marina, have heard good things but if you really want to bath in the Polynesia flavor there is no better ship.