Diamond Princess diverted to Wellington

sun-set

Fingers crossed that the weather improves and that the passengers are still enjoying being on such a lovely ship. Looks like they had nice weather yesterday. Hoping my brother and his wife who are onboard are still having a lovely relaxing holiday.

Fingers crossed that the weather improves and that the passengers are still enjoying being on such a lovely ship. Looks like they had nice weather yesterday. Hoping my brother and his wife who are onboard are still having a lovely relaxing holiday.

Perhaps it is better to go to NZ in the Summer than in Spring and Autumn? We went in March 2014 and missed 3 ports due to bad weather from out of the Southern Ocean and now this Spring time cruise is missing ports for the same reason.

Years ago we hired a car and stayed at B&B and cabins 4 weeks in Sth Island and 2 weeks in North Island. Fantastic time...maybe land touring is better for NZ.

You can still get wild weather land touring. ;)

I recall a day in Christchurch many years ago, in early March, where the temperature didn't get above 9C, and it was windy and raining. But the snow that was dumped on the Southern Alps made the next part of our trip really beautiful.

I agree we went in March and it got cold and wet in places but we were still able to get out and explore. Happy memories

We were very lucky the year we did our three week trip around the South Island. That one cold day in Christchurch, and one day going into Milford Sound when it rained heavily. It was marvellous, it looked like the waterfalls were coming right out of the sky. We overnighted on a ship in Milford Sound and had a beautiful fine day to wake up to. Best of both worlds! The NZ weather gods were very kind to us that trip. ;)

March is usually the most settled time to tour NZ.

pumie.jpg

The winds have really picked up this afternoon. If the Captain stays within the sounds they should have a calm night if not the winds are due to reach 180km/hr in Cook Strait tonight. I'll be tucked up in my warm bed listening to the gale force winds howling around me.

The winds have really picked up this afternoon. If the Captain stays within the sounds they should have a calm night if not the winds are due to reach 180km/hr in Cook Strait tonight. I'll be tucked up in my warm bed listening to the gale force winds howling around me.

Stay safe...

They have just entered Cook Strait. Once they get into the sounds it will be calm for them.

33bo4yr.jpg

2zs8kd0.jpg

We were on Sun Princess departed Brisbane 27 Jan, we got as far as Akaroa, 4 tenders got off before they stopped them, they cancelled Dunedin and the Sounds, we were sent to Picton, sailing in and out was beautiful. We were supposed to sail out at 5pm but they anchored overnight due to the bad weather. We then slow sailed back to Brisbane supposedly dodging the weather but we had it rough for 2 days (we also had Force 7/8 for out first 2 days out of Brisbane).

We were refunded port fees onto our account, we also really enjoyed our cruise (first one) despite the rough weather, took Stemetil and didn't get sick, was fun rolling down the corridors :)

There were cruisers who were doing it for up to the 5th time without reaching the Sounds, so I guess it really doesn't matter when you cruise to NZ it is the luck of the draw, we had friends who did the NY cruise before us and they had marvellous weather.

Hope Diamond continues on it's course with no further diversions.

Update. We are approaching Picton dock right now. Last night was a bit bumpy but honestly not that bad. It's a lovely day a bit chilly but ok. Looking forward to getting off the boat

Enjoy your day in Picton.

Heres the Marine Traffic map showing the ships track from Wellington.

23j24qa.jpg

Looks like Picton is nicely sheltered at the current wind conditions. I like to check out this site. Hope the link works. You can move the earth around to see the current wind anywhere. Click on a spot and it will give you current wind speed.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=145.75,-42.01,635