Crazy hotel costs in Feb - need reccomendations

trish4bruce

We are flying into Miami on Feb 12th and cruising out on the 13th. Hotel prices during this time are crazy! For example I have the Holiday INN POM reserved at a rate of $428 and with the Canadian exchange that is over $500. Way too expensive. It will be three women cruising and I am considering staying farther away maybe near the airport or Coral Cables and taking a taxi to wherever we want to go. The other girls would like to visit Bayside. Can anyone recommend some hotels in the $200 -$250 dollar range?

I see the Fortune House on LMTClub.com in your budget. ($221) You usually can join the club with a promo code for free or reduced cost. This hotel is nearer Brickell than Bayside area. Gets mixed, but decent ratings. Check it out on trip advisor. On lastminutetravel.com it runs $241. It offers suites.

No way would I pay that high rate for the Holiday Inn. You could stay a bit further away and even cab or use the metro mover to get to Bayside if really a must.

Edited by eandj

Ah yes, the boat show. I think Ft. Lauderdale has a yacht show the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. every year.

This is why I always check hotel and flight availability and price before booking a cruise. A big local event can play havoc with your plans.

Roz

I'm sure the boat show is part if the issue. We've dealt with that and the Super Bowl in Miami in years past....:rolleyes: Even without special events Miami in winter is just plain expensive.

No idea what the rates are for your date, but we've stayed at the Hampton Doral a few times and like it. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and they do run an airport shuttle. We haven't stayed there pre-cruise so I can't vouch for taxi fares to the port. We always stayed there coming from or going to the Keys :)

Just my opinion, but if a friend was going one night only pre-cruise I would tell them Bayside is over-rated and not worth the time and effort to see.

Edited by bouhunter

We sailed last year mid February. The hotel prices were outrageous due to the fact it was school break for many of the east coast schools. Airlines were expensive too but we had to go then because one of travel companions worked for the school district.

Another way of thinking is that do you have any credit card points that you can transfer to Hyatt or other hotel chains?

We just booked Hyatt House in FLL, while on the booking website it shows $140 USD, we used 8,000 Hyatt points to book the room, where the points were transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Ah yes, the boat show. I think Ft. Lauderdale has a yacht show the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. every year.

This is why I always check hotel and flight availability and price before booking a cruise. A big local event can play havoc with your plans.

Roz

The Fort Lauderdale Int'l Boat Show is the largest in the world.

To the OP, have you tried hotwire?

Coral Gables is gorgeous. The Miracle Mile is a lot nicer than Bayside.

I am considering using Hotwire I just need to read up on the area more to ensure I get an ok hotel. I also like the idea of Coral Gables. Any suggestions for hotels in that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Trish4bruce01

I am considering using Hotwire I just need to read up on the area more to ensure I get an ok hotel. I also like the idea of Coral Gables. Any suggestions for hotels in that area?

If you can swing it, The Biltmore!!

We are also flying in on February 12th for a February 13th cruise. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables. I was able to snag a free room with points, thankfully. Coral Gables looks fabulous with lots of restaurant and shopping options all within walking distance from the hotels in the area.

On LMT I see the Urbano at Brickell available for your night for $168.54 which is a steal for this time of the year. I have friends who had to stay there when their condo flooded and they enjoyed it.

The what will be brand new Homewood Suites brickell is also on there for $289.90.

I would quickly grab either of these if the downtown area is what you want. You can get to Bayside from either of these by walking to the Metromover station. Or Uber to it for around $6 from either of the hotels.

• 1 month later...

I just remembered that not only is the Miami International Boat Show going on that weekend (as mentioned in my previous post), it is also the weekend of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival, which also draws about 150,000 more visitors to the area that weekend.