Horseback Riding in Falmouth Jamaica

lgilroy

We are sailing on allure December 13th. There is a horseback riding excursion where the horses go through the ocean that we would like to do. There is a weight restriction online of 220. I've never seen a weight restriction that low for anything. All of us are under that except my uncle. Anybody know if they actually weigh? Would hate to get there and have him turned away. Any help on this would be appreciated.

We are sailing on allure December 13th. There is a horseback riding excursion where the horses go through the ocean that we would like to do. There is a weight restriction online of 220. I've never seen a weight restriction that low for anything. All of us are under that except my uncle. Anybody know if they actually weigh? Would hate to get there and have him turned away. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I did this tour last time I was in Falmouth and they did question 1 or 2 people on their weight, so I know it's enforced. I didn't hear the conversation, but 1 person did end up sitting out the tour.

The part where they ride through the ocean is bareback, so there were a few more people who voluntarily sat that part out.

If they list a weight limit, then I would not not be surprised if they enforced it. Why would you want to take the chance?

That is a logical statement, however, I've had vendors for excursions say that Royal put those on their website arbitrarily without consulting them. I've personally seen that on a power boat excursion once. They listed an age limit of 50. The official Royal parasail excursion in Cozumel had a similar limit on the website and it had arbitrary limits as well. The operator told me they were certified to 300 pounds and they worked for all the cruise lines. They would send a 300lb person up by themselves, but they would do it. In this case it may be worth looking for a private excursion.

That is a logical statement, however, I've had vendors for excursions say that Royal put those on their website arbitrarily without consulting them. I've personally seen that on a power boat excursion once. They listed an age limit of 50. The official Royal parasail excursion in Cozumel had a similar limit on the website and it had arbitrary limits as well. The operator told me they were certified to 300 pounds and they worked for all the cruise lines. They would send a 300lb person up by themselves, but they would do it. In this case it may be worth looking for a private excursion.

I agree about the private excursion. Better to know the restrictions up front.

As an experienced rider I can say that this limit is probably because of the type of horses that they have. Depending on the build/breed/age of the horse then going over a weight limit can be seriously damaging to them so it's not unlikely that they would ask you to sit out if they believe you exceed it. I would find some way to confirm privately that there will be horses suitable for you. The weight limit may be flexible if they know in advance and can make sure they can prepare the right horse for you - especially if you are an experienced rider. In my experience beginner rides are often put on smaller/slender horses whereas if you can say that you are experienced and can manage a larger horse then they may have one suitable, but definitely something you want to confirm in advance.

I can say that 220 is not unreasonable for a horse, in the UK almost all public riding schools I've seen enforce 16 stone which is 224lbs, however my local school has some horses that can take up to 18stone (250lbs) but it is only for a few of the very large horses from heavy stock.

Edited by Cruise_Christy