Explorer - repacking on a B2B cruise

reedy8

A member of the facebook page for our cruise emailed RCCL and asked about access to their cabins on the changeover day of their B2B cruise Singapore - Perth, Perth - Sydney and got this reply.

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us via email. Please be advised, once the 1st leg of your back to back cruise ends we require to pack your luggage and leave it near to the door of your stateroom since our crew members will sanitize the ship.

During this process we will ask you to wait at the lobby, once the ship is sanitized you may return to your cabin to enjoy the 2nd and last leg of your cruise.

I can understand them having to vacate the cabin while it is being sanitized but I find having to completely pack up their bags a bit absurd. This would mean that those doing the full repositioning cruise from the UK to Sydney would have to repack/unpack 4 times, Barcelona, Dubai, Singapore & Perth.

Can anyone who has done B2B's confirm this.

Thank you

Like others, I have not had to do this either, but have not sailed that itinerary. It would seem unususal, but not impossible. Of course, sometimes the land based folks do not know just how the ship will handle each situation, so it could be a misunderstanding. It sounds like you should be prepared to pack your bags. If once aboard you learn your possessions may remain in the cabin, you can do a happy dance with the other b2bers

Last year we did a B2B. Miami to Rome. Stayed on for the Med cruise.

No packing because we were in the same room. We were able to come and go through the fire door to our cabin anytime during change over day.

Maybe it is a regional reason.

Not having to pack is a perk of a B2B.

I would say the deep clean is required by Australia Customs as the ship docks in Perth. There are very strict customs regulations as Australia doesn't have many of the diseases, insects other countries have. They would want to make sure any bugs are exterminated.

They probably need to spray all drawers and cupboards in each cabin so that is why belongs need to be removed.

I would say the deep clean is required by Australia Customs as the ship docks in Perth. There are very strict customs regulations as Australia doesn't have many of the diseases, insects other countries have. They would want to make sure any bugs are exterminated.

They probably need to spray all drawers and cupboards in each cabin so that is why belongs need to be removed.

I second this answer. Plus, I do not want my clothing or anything else sprayed with any sanitizer/bug killer. Just pack it up and get it out of the way.

Hmm, let's say a drawer really does harbor some bug. Cruiser puts personal items in drawer, contaminating personal items. Said contaminated item is packed into luggage and placed with other people's luggage, potentially contaminating theirs too. Drawer is disinfected during deep cleaning...then re-contaminated when luggage is unpacked again. So how much good came of the decontamination? I love the idea of keeping germs and insects contained, but I am unsure that packing and unpacking will keep Australia safe from bug invaders...unless they fumigate the luggage...and maybe the clothing on people's backs, too.

We live in the Torres Strait which is the most northerly part of Australia. Even we have restrictions of what we can take when we fly to Cairns. Anyone who has flown into Australia will know how seriously customs take their role in preserving the integrity of their Island/Continent/Nation. Some of it can seem irrational at times but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I forgot about that!

Remember in the old days when we arrived on a flight back to OZ the hosties used to walk down the aisle spraying a can of insect spray. Don't remember seeing that of late

Hmm, let's say a drawer really does harbor some bug. Cruiser puts personal items in drawer, contaminating personal items. Said contaminated item is packed into luggage and placed with other people's luggage, potentially contaminating theirs too. Drawer is disinfected during deep cleaning...then re-contaminated when luggage is unpacked again. So how much good came of the decontamination? I love the idea of keeping germs and insects contained, but I am unsure that packing and unpacking will keep Australia safe from bug invaders...unless they fumigate the luggage...and maybe the clothing on people's backs, too.

Yes, but it's better killing 90% of the bugs than none at all.

Yes, but it's better killing 90% of the bugs than none at all.

So long as there are enough left to reproduce, the problem is not solved....depending upon how long it takes them to produce generations, bugs may recover their population very quickly...in which case your hypothetical 90% kill did no lasting good. Further more, exposure to pesticides can induce resistance in succeeding generations...so a 90% kill may actually yield more problems, not less. Sad, isn't it.

So long as there are enough left to reproduce, the problem is not solved....depending upon how long it takes them to produce generations, bugs may recover their population very quickly...in which case your hypothetical 90% kill did no lasting good. Further more, exposure to pesticides can induce resistance in succeeding generations...so a 90% kill may actually yield more problems, not less. Sad, isn't it.

This is an Australian Customs requirement. Whether it is totally efficient is neither here nor there. These regulations have successfully stopped many different diseases and insects from infecting our wildlife, plants and livestock. It's going to happen so no need to keep arguing about it.

This is an Australian Customs requirement. Whether it is totally efficient is neither here nor there. These regulations have successfully stopped many different diseases and insects from infecting our wildlife, plants and livestock. It's going to happen so no need to keep arguing about it.

Hey, pretty much every country (if not every single one) tries to exclude diseases and insects. Far from undermining their authority or debating it, I very much want them to succeed in such efforts. Governments are free to try any method they like; if I were on the cruise, I'd just quietly comply with whatever govt rules. My points were 1)that packed personal belonging present a risk, just as personal items in drawers (so I hope the govt has a plan to deal with items in suitcases and handbags) and 2) that your 90% hypothetical kill rate is too low (so I hope they are aiming substantially higher like >99%)

Edited by Starry Eyes

We have been on a B2B with the changeover in Perth. The previous leg had a stop in Indonesia and we did not have to pack up our belongings between the cruises. I would say the land based staff have made an error. Either way the staff on board will advise you what the procedure will be.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have been on a B2B with the changeover in Perth. The previous leg had a stop in Indonesia and we did not have to pack up our belongings between the cruises. I would say the land based staff have made an error. Either way the staff on board will advise you what the procedure will be.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Pattle66

I hope that is the case for them too. We have to get out in Perth unfortunately. :-((

We sailed on another cruise line from Cape Town via Perth to Sydney and never had to pack our belongings up when we reached Perth so that the room can be deep cleaned when it reached Australia. So as others already said, I would not worry about it and wait to see what is said on the ship. I doubt very much you will be made to pack and unpack if you are staying in the same cabin.