Tiles

jtl513

The tile above... EURODAM and NW AMSTERDAM shown with the Maas Buoy have problem now finished.

The lower tile... with EURODAM and NW AMNSTERDAM... shows Nw A in Venice.... is the current tile... at least another year and a half to go.

Has anyone gotten the 2014-2015 one yet? If so, which ship and when? Thanks.

I did on my most recent trip on Amsterdam (see signature)

Older tile from Amsterdam is first thumbnail, the 2014-2015 is the second.

And good job (as always), Captain Card!!

Old.jpg.4c0b439db53f16196221f5a71a2222b2.jpg

New.jpg.1ff673fbc4e5a117e4d4f69411773bd4.jpg

My tile from Westerdam from Jan 2015 is the older series. My tile form Veendam in Sept is the new series. I really like that one, it looks like the painting of Veendam IV on the ship.

Yes, all of the present and series before are all based on my paintings... that are hung on the ships. Same as the EURODAM... based on the painting off the Maas, and the Nw AMSTERDAM based on the Venice paintings.

Yes, all of the present and series before are all based on my paintings... that are hung on the ships. Same as the EURODAM... based on the painting off the Maas, and the Nw AMSTERDAM based on the Venice paintings.

Are they your paintings? If so, are you allowed to say that you work in ceramics? :)

I found four of your Veendam paintings when I did my walk around the ship looking at artwork and other decorations. I think it's nice that all four Veendams are represented. (But my favorites will always be your QE2 paintings on QM2) HAL has a long history and I like that it's so evident on Veendam. The vintage photos in the hallways are good, too. And I had a good time reading all the plaques she'd received from ports of call.

Are they your paintings? If so, are you allowed to say that you work in ceramics? :)

I don't!!!! Well, not really.

The Mariner Tiles are done by HAL through Goedewaagen. Over the years HAL have produced many styles. Some time... the art is 'copied' from old posters etc. For the most recent two series the art work is made from my paintings... that hang on board the ship. The art work for the tile is then made from craftsmen in Goedewaagen. Then they make a 'likeness' of my paintings. From that.. the tiles. So, I'm not really working in ceramics. I'm just an oil painter.

Now... for 'fun' about ten years ago I went for 'day school' to learn about ceramics. Did some works and learning in 'underglaze'. OK, but I wanted a bit more. So... more classes to learn 'majolica'. WOW! I swear I should have been born in Deruta! Then I started about 'delft'. It is exactly the same as majolica but instead of earth painting on tin glaze, in delft is Cobalt Oxide on white tin glaze. I have done a few pieces... not much.

Recently I have done a couple of pieces, but reproduction pieces. But that mean... I make an original about 10 x 10 inch on ink. This is sent to the factory and they make it into a 'transfer' method... onto tin glazed tile. Because the detail is quite considerable... it has to be this way. Here is a sample... not just the image of the ship... I have designed the outer decoration around the ship. This is most definitely NOT Delft. The reason... I made the original on paper... in Bermuda. The style is not quite in the delft style... it is mixture of Delft Italian and English! My tiles were done in factory just outside London... . It is known as 'English Delft'. Has been that way for hundreds of years. You think the Dutch did all those blue tiles? Even the Spanish and Portuguese do the delft as well.... but in different styles.

Here the recent tile. 6 x 6 inches... and on a 'hand made' tile. Very 'rough', hand pulled clay to make the tile.. almost 3/8" thick. The other piece is a bowl... a one off piece in majolica... bowl 14 inch and 4" deep. No transfer method... this all hand painted... for the 2007 Saga Rose World Cruise.

Stephen

1610911565_NWAdelftTILEORIGINAL2014SJCSNFile(2).jpg.3f0cd37359534dce909c9bb72771841d.jpg

727195473_SAGAROSEBOWL-MajolicabyStephenCard.jpg.c708cb1791b1b7715abfa6873ea5193b.jpg

Thanks Kathy,

I line the VEENDAM collection also... especially the scene of VEENDAM and VOLENDAM in Hamilton on 2nd October, 1982. Well, I was there! It was my first day a Bermuda Harbour Master.... and the large tug/tender BERMUDIAN... well, I was Deck Boy on the voyage Soutampton to Bermuda in 1969. In 1983, voyage to Norfolk Va for drydocking... as 'skipper'. 1987 took her to Ponta Delgada then to Dartmouth UK. A year later... took the tug to Piraeus.

I always have fun with the paintings... and usually a a good reason for the 'event' or connection. Even in a lot of the Cunard paintings.

Stephen

Thanks Kathy,

I line the VEENDAM collection also... especially the scene of VEENDAM and VOLENDAM in Hamilton on 2nd October, 1982. Well, I was there! It was my first day a Bermuda Harbour Master.... and the large tug/tender BERMUDIAN... well, I was Deck Boy on the voyage Soutampton to Bermuda in 1969. In 1983, voyage to Norfolk Va for drydocking... as 'skipper'. 1987 took her to Ponta Delgada then to Dartmouth UK. A year later... took the tug to Piraeus.

I always have fun with the paintings... and usually a a good reason for the 'event' or connection. Even in a lot of the Cunard paintings.

Stephen

Wow, taking a tug across the Atlantic must have been quite an adventure! I prefer something a little bigger...

We were "almost" in that painting of the two ships. We sailed on Volendam July 1982, our second HAL cruise. I always liked the fact that although the two V's had many owners, they went through most (all?) of their lives as sisters.

Stephen, Thanks so much for explaining the process in making the tiles.. We have so many of HAL's tiles & really cherish them.. I have been wanting to use them to make a small table, but not being an artistic person I'm afraid I would ruin them..

Did you also do the drawings for the 2013 Grand Cruise to South America on the m.s. Prinsendam? We were given two plates on the cruise & have them both hanging in our Condo.. On the front is a drawing of the U.S. & South America including Antarctica with an intricate drawing of the Prinsendam..The plate is mostly in the color blue which is my favorite color.. On the other edge is written all of the ports we were in on that cruise.On the back it says "Handmade in the Netherlands" & they were cast in the Royal Goedewaagen factory.. We cherish these plates as much as the tiles! I look at them daily & reminisce about our cruise..

Your Majolica Bowl for the Saga Rose 2007 cruise is magnificent! :):)

Hope you & your family are safe & were not impacted by the Hurricane..

Happy Cruising

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Hello Betty,

Thanks. Glad to help.

Yes, the tiles and plates are good fun and I think everyone enjoys receiving them.

I did just one of the HAL large plates... the Captain's Dinner Plate on the m.s. AMSTERDAM.. I guess about 2007. ( I need to check.)

The special plates are made at the Goedewaagen factory. They have designers to work on these.

Enjoy the next Grand Voyage!

Stephen

I'm new to HAL so please explain what these beautiful tiles are, where they can be found, and how much are they?
do they still give tiles?

the last one i was on none were given.

just assumed this was another cost cutting action.

They're usually given out at the Mariner's Brunch. If you choose to skip that, ask at the front desk and they'll be sent to your room. Edited by catl331

in the past they always appeared in the cabin.

That ended a few years ago. They are usually on the tables when you sit down or delivered to the tables at dessert time. Sometimes there is a big stack on a table near the door and you pick yours up on the way out.

JTL We'll be on the Eurodam in November..Will be back the 29th of Nov.. I'll let you know which one we were given..

Betty

I'm new to HAL so please explain what these beautiful tiles are, where they can be found, and how much are they? Are these tiles like those you could use to make a backsplash or tile a wall?

Rocketman the tiles are given to all returning Psgrs at the Mariner Brunch..You can't purchase them.. We've collected so many over the years that we have enough to go into a backsplash but in our case I'll try to make a tray or table out of them..

was at the mariners lunch and did not see anything of tiles.

in the past they always appeared in the cabin.

just thought they were discontinued.

thanks for the advice.

You could contact the Mariners Society and let them know you didn't get yours.

On one of our cruises we only got one. After contacting MS, they sent one out right away.

Back to the topic of this thread: other than the cases mentioned in posts #3 and #4, no one has received any 2014-2015 series tiles?

There is no fast and steady rule about when the series come out. Average about every eighteen months.

The present series came out around last May. OK, might have had a month earlier or so on other ships... all depends when they are made, packed and put to the ships.

The present tiles might be used for at least another year or more.

Stephen