Pros and Cons of the Caribbean Princess?

Galleon1234

We just returned from the CB NY to Quebec cruise, first time on princess but 9th cruise overall. It was a good cruise, not great, not terrible. Some of the linens were a little frayed on the edges. Food was typical cruise fare, but that is a subjective matter so I won't elaborate on that. Our room steward was great. Our biggest gripe was a lack of activities (other than trivia morning, afternoon and evening!). This was especially evident one day when our shore excursion was cancelled (not Princess' fault). There were only 2 dance classes during the cruise, I attended 1/2 of a line dancing class. As the woman next to me who also left early said, it was not line dancing, it was an exercise class. We were also disappointed there was nothing done with regard to the lunar eclipse which occurred during the cruise. We asked at the desk, they didn't know anything about it. Ran into the CD in the hallway and asked him. He said there would be an announcement about it and the bridge was busy making a map for it (?? a map for an eclipse?). Anyway there was nothing except for a few of us who knew about it out on the deck to watch. Entertainment was mostly good, guest performers were mostly great, production shows sort of ho-hum.

Our first of four cruises on this ship was the ship's second sailing in 2004 and it hooked us on cruising. Got invited to Vicky's (Love Boat) wedding but were not in town early enough since she sailed on the first cruise.

Never felt this ship was that crowded. Some sea days the pool area is packed, but there are always places to go away from the crowds. For example, a few tables across from the library near the atrium have a great wireless signal and are almost never occupied. And a view. And Skywalkers is often almost empty in the daytime.

2 of our 4 Princss cruises have been on the CB, the most recent summer of 14 (also have been on Coral and Ruby). We really enjoyed her and, as was stated before, there are a lot of little hiding places to sit and read--I got to know many of them while searching for my hubby. We enjoyed he so much that we are debating between 2 itineraries for this summer, ne of which is on the CB.

I've only sailed on her once.

Had a great cruise and would have to wrack my brain to find a fault.

The Horizon Court is what it is and feeds a lot of people. I can't see Princess remodeling on the Grand Class to emulate the Royal Class experience. it could be done on a smaller scale when each enters dry dock but the cost may not be worth it to PCL.

I am looking forward to the Celebrity buffet on the Silhouette in January-looks very open and the stations are an appealing idea.

Norris

On 1 Oct 2015 we returned from a 10-day Classic Canada & New England cruise on the CB.

We had cabin E606, Ocean View Obstructed. However, our window was only partialy blocked by a tender.

Our Cabin was in good shape with no sign of any worn or stained furniture. Our cabin steward was a ghost. We met Raul once on the 1st day and gave him a short list of requirements. He full filled our list the 1st afternoon.

We had a few hick-ups: Cabin door batteries died, one tour time canceled and move from afternoon to morning, had trouble with computers in Inter Net Cafe and we were double charged for drinks at the Pub Lunch.

All of the above were quickly resolved by the crew and we were very happy with the results.

In the dinning room we were assigned a two top table, 101, in the Palm Dinning room. Our two waiters, Raymond and Samsock, were very friendly and provided outstanding service. The meals served ran from average to good.

Even on the one rain day we never felt crowded. Of course there were lines at the theater and the chairs in the Piazza were full. And the dance floor was full for the Balloon Drop Dance.

The ship shops have been changed since our last cruise on the CB, this was number 3. Effy Jewerly has been added and liquor sales and small store was moved down to Vines Confection area.

Every day I observed the crew painting and cleaning the ship, even the tenders.

All in All I would not hesitate to set sail on the CB again.

Bob

Unfortunately no and that can be a disadvantage on a northern TA. In the Spring the Caribbean sails from FLL to London and should be in warmer waters about half of the time. In the Fall she returns from London to NYC by way of Norway and Iceland and alters are much cooler most of the way.

And that would be the one downer about it. No indoor pool.

Did the Icealand TA and the crew were good. Some of them were exceptional.

Wondering if it would be a good ship to spend a TA on. So would be interested to know what you like and do not like about the ship.

Thanks!

If I'm going TA, I want a bigger ship. Rough Atlantic waters, smoother on a bigger one. I've been on the CB 4 times, she's a wonderful ship. Regal is my favorite but she had that new ship smell, so there's that! I'd pick Riviera deck mid-aft or middle for inside.

I have only been on 2 ships and the CB was my first. I enjoyed her more than the other because I prefer the larger size so I didn't feel claustrophobic. I also enjoyed MOTS which the other ship did not have. They provide a pillow, blanket, popcorn and cookies during movie time. But the biggest reason I love her? COFFEE CARD! lol The International Café has specialty coffees and a card was available for 14 I believe so it averaged out at 2 per day so hubby and I had plenty. Also the IC usually has yummy pastries and such that are complimentary. Maybe I am just easy to please, though :D

One little tip for anyone who is directional challenged such as myself- the fish on the carpet in the hallways are swimming toward the front of the ship. I can't tell you the number of times I would turn the wrong way. Once I learned this little trick I was all fixed lol ;)

I just got off the CB. For some point of reference this was our fourth Princess cruise, and 30plus, overall. It was not my favorite ship. I would sail it again if I could get a really, really, good deal. Otherwise, I would not. For my taste it was too big. The layout in the Horizon Court is very poorly laid out. In the dining room the ceilings are very low, and a lot of the ship feels closed in. Overall, the crew seemed very unhappy, but, crews turn over, so that would not be a decision maker for me. The service seemed very OFF, but, again, this changes from cruise to cruise. We cruised with first time Princess cruisers, and they had many complaints, and doubt they will cruise Princess again. For point of reference they have sailed Carnival, RCI, Disney, and Norwegian. Overall, dh and I had a GOOD cruise. We loved the itinerary(10 day New England/Canada) and I got a very good deal on an inside room. We cruise in many insides, and we felt this was one of the best laid out rooms we have ever had on any cruise line.

We were on the same cruise, our 13th on CB in a year, and thought the crew were fine, food and service excellent as usual. Hope your first time Princess friends find a line to suit them which offers similar value for money.