Celebrity Cruises - Best Cruise Line for Dining

cle-guy

Food quality, preparation and service.

We have on our last few cruises stored some exceptional dining memories. Congratulations to all staff both front of house and behind the scenes. Love you, and can't wait to dine with you again!

Food quality, preparation and service.

We have on our last few cruises stored some exceptional dining memories. Congratulations to all staff both front of house and behind the scenes. Love you, and can't wait to dine with you again!

I was careful to not use the word "fine dining" in my OP, as I realized the award technically didn't say that.

But I do feel that especially Murano etc. may classify as fine dining, but do feel the other venues, even BLU and Luminae shovel be sundered upscale casual.

But I do enjoy the food on X, and even the MDR food to me is good and displayed in a beautiful and artful manner. But as with any banquet style dining, some food will arrive at better preparation and temperature than others, all depending on timing to the swinging door to the kitchen.

We get redirected to the UK website, where P+O wins for best dining. Eclipse won best refurbishment.

Reading the UK results it feels like School prize day in the 21st Century where everyone has to win some award.

Always hard to choose what terminology to use, and to us as individual cruisers, what is important for us to rate (food, service, local produce, seasonal produce...)

We genuinely rate some of our Celebrity dining experiences with land experiences rated Michelin Star. As you say, particularly with reference to Murano's but also our experiences in Tuscan Grill on the Solstice last year.

We see fine dining as a major vacation experience both land and sea. Even with the introduction of Luminae the speciality venues are to us still very important.

What has, and is, keeping us as devotees of celebrity is the service level and the genuine desire to please. I do think more local/seasonal produce could up the game further, but will it stop me from choosing Celebrity? No.

I can genuinely say on our last few cruises we really feel all the food staff, MDR, Luminae and speciality have made every effort to make each and every meal special.

I am happy to see this thread that I can wholeheartedly agree with. We have had the blessing of traveling throughout the world, dined in castles in Ireland and Austria, throughout Europe and parts of Asia, on the Orient Express, and South America, other exotic and 4 star destinations.

Does Celebrity serve the best "fine dining"?! No, or course not. But it IS the finest presentation, service, and quality of any mainstream cruise line. Far less costly than the premium lines. I no longer need to be a travel snob, and love to vacation often...so Celebrity it is!

I have never understood the whiners and complainers, looking for absolute perfection.

Thank you OP for giving me a chance to be a Celebrity "cheerleader." Yes, I guess I am.

I think the problem with some (who are frequently classified as "whiners") is the huge difference between the Celebrity that was, dining wise, and the Celebrity that is. Having sailed with them well over 200 days (with about 100 days booked so not bailing), frankly, the dining on =X= in 2015 is not a shadow of what it was say in 2005. Understand completely that things change, and willing to roll with the punches, but to tab someone with a "whiner" or "complainer" tag because they recognize this, is a bit disingenuous if you haven't experienced both the old and the new.

After spending 14 days on the Summit(first with Celebrity), they would not be my first choice.

The MDR is OK, we enjoyed it for the most part. The buffet is not up to par with Royal or Princess. Celebrity chooses to have the buffet completely stand alone from the MDR selections, and the same FEW things night after night.

During this 14 day span, there were 3 or 4 nights in a row where there was a choise of flank steak or baked duck. Yes, there was the stir fry section, Pizza cubby, pasta cubby, etc., but I am talking buffet section. Then there would be a change to rump roast and pork loin, OK, but after 3 or 4 nights in a row, I thought this lacked any imagination. Same sides and premade salads every night. Glad we found the MDR to good. For the most part, Royal and Princess share most items between MDR and buffet, with a few exceptions.

After spending 14 days on the Summit(first with Celebrity), they would not be my first choice.

The MDR is OK, we enjoyed it for the most part. The buffet is not up to par with Royal or Princess. Celebrity chooses to have the buffet completely stand alone from the MDR selections, and the same FEW things night after night.

Were you aware of the back station that does made to order steaks, burgers, hot dogs fried chicken chicken breasts or fish that has the self0serve buffet fries, salads and such? Some people miss it and don't realize the options back there.

Last year on Summit they experimented with an enhanced buffet, more Las vegas hotel style, with pre-plated items, that looks much nicer in presentations. But for some reason, lots of people hated it, and they went back to boring pans of food, even though operations said it was saving cost and food waste. I thought it was great, and miss it.

Edited by cle-guy

I think the problem with some (who are frequently classified as "whiners") is the huge difference between the Celebrity that was, dining wise, and the Celebrity that is. Having sailed with them well over 200 days (with about 100 days booked so not bailing), frankly, the dining on =X= in 2015 is not a shadow of what it was say in 2005. Understand completely that things change, and willing to roll with the punches, but to tab someone with a "whiner" or "complainer" tag because they recognize this, is a bit disingenuous if you haven't experienced both the old and the new.

Here we go. Predictable. I have sailed the old Celebrity and I have sailed the new one. True it is not the same. HowEVER, it is still the best bang for my buck. All things considered. Cruising is far more reasonable today than it was when we first started, considering the alcohol packages, OBC, paid gratuities and other perks. In fact, there is a good thread on CC right now, discussing it's value.

Cle guy, the back section was Panini's and a few other bread and sandwich selections for dinner. They did have raw minute steaks, and raw chicken breast that they would cook for you. Heck, I could get a New York strip every night in the MDR. Back section was great at breakfast for made to order omelets, and avoiding the crowd.

Edited by L454S

Cle guy, the back section was Panini's and a few other bread and sandwich selections for dinner. Back section was great at breakfast for made to order omelets, and avoiding the crowd.

That's highly unusual and certainly not the norm.

They do paninis there at lunch usually, and at dinner MAY have a tray or 2 to the left side. The grillers, you do have to talk and ask them....its not obvious. Also may be limited timing. Around 8 pm, usually theres a long line of crew and entertainment staff up there getting there grub on, waiting for the grillers to get the chicken breasts done.

Have the Silhouette buffet choices changed that much since October 2014? I found the selection on my TA cruise varied and overall very good. Even if there is some repetition, I would think Celebrity would not expect a significant number of passengers to be eating at the buffet every night. Even if, like me, you are not dining in Luminae, or not dining in a specialty restaurant, there is still the choice of MDR, Aqua Spa Cafe, & Mast Grill if you want to mix it up a bit.

I'm boarding Silhouette next week on a B2B - I thought the MDR food was quite good if chosen carefully with the recommendations of our excellent waiter. Has the food changed for the worse since my last cruise October 2014?

During this 14 day span, there were 3 or 4 nights in a row where there was a choise of flank steak or baked duck. Yes, there was the stir fry section, Pizza cubby, pasta cubby, etc., but I am talking buffet section. Then there would be a change to rump roast and pork loin, OK, but after 3 or 4 nights in a row, I thought this lacked any imagination. Same sides and premade salads every night. Glad we found the MDR to good. For the most part, Royal and Princess share most items between MDR and buffet, with a few exceptions.

Food is so subjective! I actually think the Buffet is better in Celebrity. For me, there is no comparison between Summit / Constellation buffet to Enchantment and Explorer. If It is even better in the S class ships. MDR I think they are pretty similar but a slight edge goes to Celebrity.

Have the Silhouette buffet choices changed that much since October 2014? I found the selection on my TA cruise varied and overall very good. Even if there is some repetition, I would think Celebrity would not expect a significant number of passengers to be eating at the buffet every night. Even if, like me, you are not dining in Luminae, or not dining in a specialty restaurant, there is still the choice of MDR, Aqua Spa Cafe, & Mast Grill if you want to mix it up a bit.

I'm boarding Silhouette next week on a B2B - I thought the MDR food was quite good if chosen carefully with the recommendations of our excellent waiter. Has the food changed for the worse since my last cruise October 2014?

Current MDR menus have been in place since mid 2013. I would think the buffet follow the same schedule.

The CEO announced during an online chat that they are revamping menus next year.

I do get to dine in Luminae most times, and chose not to many times on my TA to rome (actually had lunch only 1 day and most friends are in MDR), I like the quickness of buffet some times and am satisfied with it.

Interesting comment. DW and I cruised twice with RCCL and found the buffet there incredibly limited with several days nothing we were interested in eating. Am finding it strange you take out the stations where you can get tea and cookies, pizza, paninis and grilled meat and fish, pasta cooked to order, sushi, and stir fry as part of the buffet. We usually use the stations you dismissed as we do not generally eat standard buffet fare.

The menu if completely dfferent from the MDR on Celebrity and the selection on RCCL was only the buffet. Almost nothing else.

I won't even eat at the buffet on Royal. I think there buffet needs a lot of improvement. Thank goodness there are other dining options.

I was very pleased with the buffet on X.

My one and only princess cruise was so long ago, I can't recall any detail on the buffet/food in general.

YMMV and clearly does, but I don't think I've read anyone else on CC comment that they prefer the buffet on Royal to X.

"Food is so subjective!" is something that gets tossed around but sometimes it's not subjective at all and a poster is just plane old full of something with a bone to pick.

My favorite was the thread where someone ranted against Blu saying that they used powdered eggs.... :eek::rolleyes:

There is noway anyone with a mouth could make that mistake legitimately!.... :cool:

NIWM2012_1778-01.jpg

My favorite was the thread where someone ranted against Blu saying that they used powdered eggs.... :eek::rolleyes:

There is noway anyone with a mouth could make that mistake legitimately!.... :cool:

I am not sure about Blu but I remember we were having breakfast at the Main Dining Room and I asked if they used freshly cracked eggs for omelets and scrambled eggs and the answer was "No, we used powdered eggs". I would never eat powdered or liquid eggs if I had the choice. This is another reason I never eat omelets or scrambled eggs at buffets, etc.

Johny Rockets on RCL also uses powdered eggs that are reconstituted with water. I don't think most people know or care about that but I prefer fresh when possible and available.

I really doubt it's powdered eggs at all. I think service staff just use that as a catch all for non-cracked eggs.

My years with Marriott, I never even heard of a powdered egg, but we bought gallons of the ready to cook scrambled.

Most large food service establishments use pre-cracked and mixed eggs as they get pasteurized which kills pathogens, such as Salmonella, that is common in the poultry and dairy industries. It's done as much as a safety precaution as a convenience. Sure they still crack many eggs, but any reduction int he potential contamination is a good thing. Good food safety has many layers of protection.

If properly cooked no one can really tell the difference between fresh cracked and the pre-scrambled ones. Its the cook who overcooks them that makes people thing they are rubbery, not the fact that they were not cracked to order. Even cracked to order scrambled eggs can get rubbery. I do it all the time at home LOL.

True about the rubber eggs. My problem with powdered / liquid eggs is the ingredient list (along with how awfully they can be cooked). I am on of those people that reads the ingredients for everything. When I am out I know I can't control quality of ingredients in pre-made food, etc so I pick and choose my battles.

Anyway to get back on topic, between the 2 lines I have cruised with, Celebrity gets my vote.

Edited by Sandy1975