Princess Cruises vessel to transfer to P&O Australia fleet

Carnival Australia has just announced changes to its Australia-based year-round fleet, which will see Princess Cruises offload its Dawn Princess vessel to P&O Cruises, with the move effective from May 2017.

The 2000-passenger Dawn Princess will become the sixth and largest vessel in the P&O Cruises Australian fleet. The news comes just over a month out from P&O taking delivery of its fourth and fifth ships Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden.

P&O Cruises senior vice president Sture Myrmell said Dawn Princess would be reflagged and renovated to take on the P&O product prior to its transfer to the fleet.

"This ship is a great addition to P&O Cruises’ fleet, with her larger size opening up opportunities for new onboard product and experiences," he added.

The gap created in the Princess inventory will be filled by Golden Princess, which will now remain in Australian waters throughout 2017. To make its debut in Australia this summer peak season, based in Melbourne and initially as a seasonal visitor, Golden Princess will join Sea Princess and Sun Princess in the line's locally based fleet on a year-round basis from May 2017.

"One of Golden Princess’ key sailings for the year will be a 75-night Circle Pacific itinerary taking holidaymakers on a roundtrip cruise from Australia to Asia, Alaska and America," Princess Cruises senior vice president Australa and New Zealand Stuart Allison said.

Source Cruise Weekly

The Dawn Princess already has the P&O Logo on both sides of the ship but painted over. If they are going to re-fit her to look like the ships that are already in the P&O fleet down under does that mean they are going to make her look like these ships?? The Dawn Princess has only just been refurbished, she is a 'classy' lady, she doesn't need to be down graded in looks to look like the very aging P&O ships which have no class what so ever. What a shame, if she gets that tacky blue line on her , words can't describe. You will have broken the set up (3 classy) ladies. Couldn't they bring over one of the Carnival ships, they would fit more into the P&O fleet, they are already set up for the younger generation. Please don't destroy the Princess Fleet down under. If you look at the adds with the sun class ships in (ie Dawn, Sea, Sun) they look very sleek gliding through the Milford Sound, if you paint them up with stripes they will look tacky.

Are they also going to re-name her??

Who thought this d--b idea up?????,

'Not Ammused Jan':mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

Ooh I wonder if golden princess will be based out of Melbourne in 2017, will make cruising that much easier for me :D I'm not that interesting in the other princess ships but this one looks good :)

The Dawn Princess already has the P&O Logo on both sides of the ship but painted over. If they are going to re-fit her to look like the ships that are already in the P&O fleet down under does that mean they are going to make her look like these ships?? The Dawn Princess has only just been refurbished, she is a 'classy' lady, she doesn't need to be down graded in looks to look like the very aging P&O ships which have no class what so ever. What a shame, if she gets that tacky blue line on her , words can't describe. You will have broken the set up (3 classy) ladies. Couldn't they bring over one of the Carnival ships, they would fit more into the P&O fleet, they are already set up for the younger generation. Please don't destroy the Princess Fleet down under. If you look at the adds with the sun class ships in (ie Dawn, Sea, Sun) they look very sleek gliding through the Milford Sound, if you paint them up with stripes they will look tacky.

Are they also going to re-name her??

Who thought this d--b idea up?????,

'Not Ammused Jan':mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

Okay, a few things. There is a "set" of four ships in the Sun Class. Ocean Princess moved over to the P&O UK fleet to become Oceana. So they aren't "breaking up the set".

P&O Australia have actually abandoned the idea of the stripes on their white ships. The stripe wasn't painted onto the Jewel or the Pearl, and the one around the front of the Dawn was removed. I believe the one at the back of the Dawn remains (due to the "Like No Place on Earth" livery on the aft) but I've been told that will eventually be removed.

They have actually made an effort to really improve the P&O fleet. The two new HAL ships that are coming into the fleet have inspired the recent refurbs on the current ships and they're looking absolutely stunning. I think it's great that they're evolving the P&O brand.

And yes, she will be renamed as part of her refurb.

Edited by Royalty X

Interesting to see that the Dawn Princess is becoming a P & O ship. We were on the Golden Princess last December and if you look closely when it arrives in Australia you will see that 'P & O' has been painted over just near the name of the ship, so the Golden Princess must have originally been a P & O ship. By the way we loved the Golden Princess (we were on for 31 days) and are glad to see it coming to Australia.:)

Interesting to see that the Dawn Princess is becoming a P & O ship. We were on the Golden Princess last December and if you look closely when it arrives in Australia you will see that 'P & O' has been painted over just near the name of the ship, so the Golden Princess must have originally been a P & O ship. By the way we loved the Golden Princess (we were on for 31 days) and are glad to see it coming to Australia.:)
Before Carnival Corp took over P&O Princess Cruises PLC, all Princess ships featured the P&O logo on the side.

DawnPrincess01.jpg

Edited by Royalty X

Okay, a few things. There is a "set" of four ships in the Sun Class. Ocean Princess moved over to the P&O UK fleet to become Oceana. So they aren't "breaking up the set".

P&O Australia have actually abandoned the idea of the stripes on their white ships. The stripe wasn't painted onto the Jewel or the Pearl, and the one around the front of the Dawn was removed. I believe the one at the back of the Dawn remains (due to the "Like No Place on Earth" livery on the aft) but I've been told that will eventually be removed.

They have actually made an effort to really improve the P&O fleet. The two new HAL ships that are coming into the fleet have inspired the recent refurbs on the current ships and they're looking absolutely stunning. I think it's great that they're evolving the P&O brand.

And yes, she will be renamed as part of her refurb.

Ocean (680 Pax) isn't the same class ship as Sea sun and Dawn (1800 or thereabouts).

Ocean is a sister tomPacific.

Ocean (680 Pax) isn't the same class ship as Sea sun and Dawn (1800 or thereabouts).

Ocean is a sister tomPacific.

P&O UK's Oceana was the original Ocean Princess. Tahitian Princess was renamed Ocean Princess after Oceana moved to P&O.

Oceana_cruise_ship_photos.jpg

Edited by Royalty X

I loved the ocean princess... she is going to become the Sirena for Oceania after a 40 million dollar refit...

I remember in 2011 whilst on the dawn princess one of the staff saying that she was going to go to P & O ... so it is a long time coming...

Oceana was originally ordered by P&O to serve in the Princess Cruises fleet. She was named by Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal and entered service as Ocean Princess on 16 February 2000. During the winter season, Ocean Princess was positioned in the southern Caribbean, while in summer she operated in Alaskan waters. Shortly after her launch, P&O demerged its cruise ship operations and Ocean Princess came under the ownership of P&O Princess Cruises, whilst continuing to serve in the Princess Cruises fleet.

In November 2002, Ocean Princess entered service with P&O Cruises, operating from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Her official naming ceremony took place in Southampton, England on 21 May 2003. The naming ceremony was the first double ship naming in history and saw Ocean Princess renamed Oceana, with sister ship Sea Princess becoming Adonia. The naming was performed by HRH the Princess Royal and her daughter Zara Philips.

In 2003, P&O Princess Cruises merged with Carnival Corporation. As a result, Oceana came under the ownership of Carnival UK, but continued to operate with the P&O Cruises fleet. Sister ship Adonia later returned to the Princess Cruises fleet and reacquired her original name, Sea Princess.

Edited by Royalty X

I loved the ocean princess... she is going to become the Sirena for Oceania after a 40 million dollar refit...

I remember in 2011 whilst on the dawn princess one of the staff saying that she was going to go to P & O ... so it is a long time coming...

Yep Pacific and Ocean still my favourite ships.

Hi,

In reply, why would they spend all that money on a refit to be refitted again within a year. My husband took one of our grandsons on the Pacific Jewel earlier this year for his 21st birthday as he has always wanted to go on a cruise with us. The only reason we chose P & O was because it was geared more for the younger generation. Both of them came back sick with what they think may have been food poisoning from eating luke warm chicken.

Neither of them liked their P & O experience. My husband was also comparing it all the time with the Dawn saying their service and attitudes were much better. You still cannot get away from that their ships are out dated, not sure about the new ships coming on board, they look like they are designed for the older generation, sleeker. more up market.

I came to Australia on SS Strathaird built 1932/33 and she had classier decor inside their main rooms than the 3 P & O ships operating at present and she didn't have air conditioning. I hope they don't interfere with the Golden Princess. I was really amazed that Royal Carribbean will be bringing one of their newest ships down under, that will be a first.

I know you have to go forward and I have seen a lot of changes over the years. I just hope they don't make the Dawn Princess a disco ship.

This year we went to Singapore on Pacific Jewel and came back on Dawn Princess which was just out of a refit. The buffet on Dawn Princess has been completely redone with new food stations, carpets and furniture. Presumably that would need redoing as the pantry. Don't know where they would put paying restaurants, unless they convert one or both dining rooms, as P&O are very much charge for everything. As a direct comparison Pacific Jewel is dark inside and with very few places to sit inside. We needed to book each night to eat in the dining room. The service was poor and the food ordinary. Two weeks on board seemed a long time. It was so nice to get on the Dawn Princess with happy helpful staff, good food and a bright interior. P&O will be the same no matter what ship they get. There is just not enough staff for the non charging areas like cabin stewards and dining room waiters. There are extra charges for many things on P&O that are included on Princess. Don't be late back on Pacific Jewel when leaving Phu My in Vietnam our sailing time was 5.00 pm all aboard was 4.30pm. A family of 4 with two small children nearly missed the ship because they got back at 5 to 5, Captain had the gangway up and all their luggage packed ready to throw off. On Princess we have sometimes waited 2 hours for missing passenger. P&O Australia has a long way to go to come up to a reasonable standard. Didn't speak to anyone on the Jewel who would go again, including a lady who had been on 46 P&O cruises, but now feels it has gone too far downhill. As we are in W.A. hope Princess are going to send a decent ship and do some good itineraries from Fremantle haven't quite saved enough for the long ones yet!

Sweet! I wonder if that means they'll continue with 6 ships in the fleet or whether they'll retire the Pearl (being the oldest ship).

I'd agree with the displacement, but would be more inclined Pacific Dawn would be the one to go. But that's just speculation.

Surprised Dawn is being given to P & O so soo after a major upgrade, whereas Sea Princess is raelly tired and in need of some attention .

Oh yeah. I don't get that either. Sea Princess is the weaker of the three here imo as well. But there may well be some technical, or just legal reason (e.g. registration).

I have only ever sailed with Princess once - Sea Princess to NZ. It was OK -- I initially thought that I liked the concept of the buffet being up the front of the ship ( all previous ships we had been on had the buffets down aft!) -- but eventually decided that I DIDN'T like the buffet being forward ( no access to outside from the buffet!!)

This then led me to the decision - that having been on Sea Princess, I really had no need to go on her other two sister ships!!! if Princess Aus is to only have 3 ships, I would much prefer them to be all different classes.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw