Do you need Passport for Caribbean

CarolRoy

As long as you are a USA citizen, departing and arriving to the same port in the USA you do not need a passport.

Keith

In addition to St. Bart's -- Costa Rica requires a passport. These are relatively new requirements, with in the past 2-3 years.

Another argument for getting a passport that I have not seen mentioned before (and brought to my attention by another thread): if you miss the ship's departure and need to catch up, you would not be able to fly to a non-US island (e.g. St. Maarten) without a passport.

Good point. We've all heard the stories of people jumping up and down on the pier yelling "Come back!"

Disney requires a raised seal birth certificate which our two youngest family members travel with.

No, they don't. You can provide Disney with a copy of a BC as well as with an original; a copy wouldn't have the raised seal.

From DCL's website (my bold):

"Government-issued photo ID along with one of the following:

• Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate

• Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable

• Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State

• Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services."

The Customs and Border Protection website does not specify if birth certificates must be original or can be a copy under 'What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?':

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Elsewhere it is more specific when it mentions requirements related to children:

U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

There are two separate issues involved with regards to travel documents for Caribbean cruises:

• travel documents to reenter the USA
  • travel documents for ports visited

For most closed loop cruises to the Caribbean they are the same, but there are exceptions, like the aforementioned St. Barts and Costa Rica (which is not Caribbean but Central American).

The cruise lines have to make sure passengers have the proper documentation before they allow them to embark; they don't make the rules, the governments involved make the rules.

Edited by Boytjie

The Customs and Border Protection website does not specify if birth certificates must be original or can be a copy under 'What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?':

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Elsewhere it is more specific when it mentions requirements related to children:

U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

There are two separate issues involved with regards to travel documents for Caribbean cruises:

• travel documents to reenter the USA
  • travel documents for ports visited

For most closed loop cruises to the Caribbean they are the same, but there are exceptions, like the aforementioned St. Barts and Costa Rica (which is not Caribbean but Central American).

The cruise lines have to make sure passengers have the proper documentation before they allow them to embark; they don't make the rules, the governments involved make the rules.

(bold is mine)

We've had a few threads in recent months about people being denied boarding over document issues. In those cases, I think it was visas. But in any case, the cruise line is in trouble if they allow someone to embark without proper documents. At the minimum, they must pay to get you back to the US. And they might be fined, depending on the governments involved.

Point of info for the original poster I just renewed my passport (not a first-time application) and it took exactly four weeks without expediting, just standard service. Arrived yesterday.

Downloaded the online form and filled out my check. Walgreen's took the needed photo (10 minutes start to cash register) and then off to the PO - by Priority Mail for tracking purposes.

Obviously expedited service would be quicker.