Bungee Cord on Silhouette in Aqua Class?

TRAVELINGMAN2

Never had a problem with a balcony door. You are supposed to keep them closed or the air conditioning is messed up and could easily reopen them from the outside. Never kept the open. What type of problem did you have?

Never had a problem with a balcony door. You are supposed to keep them closed or the air conditioning is messed up and could easily reopen them from the outside. Never kept the open. What type of problem did you have?

Balcony doors on the M-class don't have a handle on the outside so occasionally, they close and the handle inside drops enough that you find yourself locked outside.

This is really a problem on the new deck 11 A1 cabins on the m-class ships where the balcony doors not only don't have a handle on the outside...they have no way to secure them either open or closed from the outside. In any sort of rougher sea, that means the door opens and closes itself...read that as "slams open and slams closed". The recommended solution is to use a bungee cord (or the belt to your supplied robe) to tie the door open. yes, that probably fouls up the A/C in adjacent cabins but there is absolutely no way to secure the door closed from the outside. I call it a design feature :) (BTW, the drawers and closet doors have the same behavior and that's why you need to take duct tape if you're in one of those new cabins).

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since we've been on an s-class), the s-class ships have handles on the outside so they can be safely closed or locked in position from the outside so no bungee cord required. (someone will correct me if I recall wrong).

Edited by ghstudio

If I recall correctly (it's been a while since we've been on an s-class), the s-class ships have handles on the outside so they can be safely closed or locked in position from the outside so no bungee cord required. (someone will correct me if I recall wrong).

This is correct.

How about packing a yardstick in your luggage (checked, not carry on as TSA may consider it a weapon capable of hijacking a 767) and sticking it in the door so it won't close all the way? Sounds a lot easier than screwing around with a bungee cord.

How about packing a yardstick in your luggage (checked, not carry on as TSA may consider it a weapon capable of hijacking a 767) and sticking it in the door so it won't close all the way? Sounds a lot easier than screwing around with a bungee cord.

A bungee cord (actually 2 - 1 small, 1 large) is always part of my standard cruise packing.

Most often I use it on final night when the empty hangers in the closet rattle. I bungee them together to stop that. They can be useful for attaching luggage and stuff securely when moving thru airport etc. too. Or make drying lines for clothes, or hold door open (i have 2 rubber door stops too, to stop rattling doors, or to hold cabin door open if needed)

Not sure if you're serious about this suggestion, but there is a significant gap between the bottom of the door and the door sill....it would have to be a very thick yardstick....in fact a standard door triangular door stop would actually be far too short to hold the door open.

Having been in 1141 in a rocking sea, I am unfortunately somewhat of an expert on how that door doesn't work :)

Necessity being the Mother of Invention............

I had the slamming door problem a few years ago in an aft cabin on Constellation.

I had no bungee cord but suspenders for my Tux pants worked just fine.

There's always a solution.

We were on the Summit in Aug 2015 cabin 1114. Yes I brought and used the bungee cord to keep the door open. The deck doors up on Deck 11 seem different. You have to push the door out from the inside. Then they seem to just be on rollers. The ship was moving and the door was sliding back and fourth. It was the 1st time that I need the bungee cord on a cruise ship.

Unless you are willing to wedge that shoe somehow under the door, the door may slide open and closed in swells. Yes, if you put a shoe in the door, it won't fully close, but you could throw anything on the track to do that. You use the bungee cord to tie the door completely open which is the only way to stop it from moving on its own

Unless you are willing to wedge that shoe somehow under the door, the door may slide open and closed in swells. Yes, if you put a shoe in the door, it won't fully close, but you could throw anything on the track to do that. You use the bungee cord to tie the door completely open which is the only way to stop it from moving on its own

I did try... I think it was the knife and fork. Well I know the Knife was involved.:eek:

As I said we were in cabin 1114 on Summit. We had my nephews in the next cabin and had the divider open to have a larger deck and to visit with them. Eat our lunch and have cocktails.

Edited by bigbenboys
add more info