Internet---now it's official!

Love the beach

Does anyone know the CURRENT internet pricing plans on the Zuiderdam? I just spoke with ship services and the HAL representative told me that Carnival/HAL did NOT have any plans other than the old, slow and expensive (my words) plan they have always had.

Um, not sure why one has to stay in daily touch with the grandchildren. This might be a case of thinking that you have be in touch, as opposed to really having to stay in touch.

My wife is on a "girls outing" cruise right now to Mexico. They brought along a cell phone that was configured to work inexpensively in Mexico. The three of them share the phone in ports for very little cost, and it is working out just fine. I can wait a day or two for the next port phone call.

igraf

I don't expect you (or anyone else) to understand why I or others feel the way we do, we're all different.

I didn't say daily, I said as often as possible. My grandchildren are 2 and under. They change a lot on a 3-4 week trip, I like (yes, I like) to get photos and videos to see the changes, I miss them a lot. It may not be a matter of NEED for some, but for me it is.

I don't expect you (or anyone else) to understand why I or others feel the way we do, we're all different.

I didn't say daily, I said as often as possible. My grandchildren are 2 and under. They change a lot on a 3-4 week trip, I like (yes, I like) to get photos and videos to see the changes, I miss them a lot. It may not be a matter of NEED for some, but for me it is.

I understand completely! We have 5 grandchildren, one just 2 months old, and just because we are on a cruise doesn't mean that we want to forego the pleasure of FaceTiming them every few days.

I understand completely! We have 5 grandchildren, one just 2 months old, and just because we are on a cruise doesn't mean that we want to forego the pleasure of FaceTiming them every few days.

Exactly. Our youngest is 4 months. They change so fast!

:)

Edited by Cruising-along

And that is a very respectable reason. I applaud it.

The point was that an occasional quick email update at a low-cost WiFi access point would be sufficient, and that it is not necessary for most people to purchase expensive ship data services just so they can be online all the time.

igraf

Edited by igraf

The point was that an occasional quick email update at a low-cost WiFi access point would be sufficient, and that it is not necessary for most people to purchase expensive ship data services just so they can be online all the time.

igraf

That is not your decision to make. If it's not coming out of your pocket why is it of concern? No one needs to justify what they need Internet for.

Edited by cruz chic

igraf

Of course we do that when it's possible. Many times it isn't at least on the cruises we take. We have been known to face time from a library in London (grandparents have no shame). We know there are other choices but sometimes from the ship is the easiest. I don't like taking my port time to search for wifi unless it's quick and easy.

I usually am not concerned with how other people spend their money. I do think that this case is different because of the ever changing technology. Does everyone here understand how that it is possible to call home from a foreign country for 2 cents per minute? Or that they can read and compose emails offline and then do a send/receive for the price of (and time to drink) a cup of coffee at a cafe? Then there is reducing your photos to less than 1/10th of the original size with no perceivable loss in quality before emailing them? I think that there is lots to talk about here.

igraf

That is not your decision to make. If it's not coming out of your pocket why is it of concern? No one needs to justify what they need Internet for.

I usually am not concerned with how other people spend their money. I do think that this case is different because of the ever changing technology. Does everyone here understand how that it is possible to call home from a foreign country for 2 cents per minute? Or that they can read and compose emails offline and then do a send/receive for the price of (and time to drink) a cup of coffee at a cafe? Then there is reducing your photos to less than 1/10th of the original size with no perceivable loss in quality before emailing them? I think that there is lots to talk about here.

igraf

This is really teaching your grandma to suck eggs. The reality is that some people need to be in contact on a daily basis - others even more frequently - while some can spread out their 'connect' time to every few days. To each his own. Or, you do it your way and I'll do it mine.

igraf

While I'm well aware of these and many other ways of reducing total bandwidth over the course of a cruise, you are probably right in assuming that there are others who are less familiar with these methods. It might be more beneficial for all concerned if you were to start a new thread where people could contribute similar tips and tricks.

While I'm well aware of these and many other ways of reducing total bandwidth over the course of a cruise, you are probably right in assuming that there are others who are less familiar with these methods. It might be more beneficial for all concerned if you were to start a new thread where people could contribute similar tips and tricks.

I think this would be a great idea. For those of us who are generally familiar with computers but certainly not expert, I'd love to get some new ideas.

I'd be happy to contribute a description of my technique of using "Photoshop" to take around 20 photos, each of which is about 2.5 meg in file size, and wind up with one large composite photo which is only half a meg in size (1/100 of the original total of the file sizes). I can then send this composite to my friends and tell them if they'd like a larger copy of any of the photos, I'll send it separately. This only happens occasionally as the composite photo has sufficient resolution that it can be enlarged so each of the original photos can fill about half of a computer screen with a decent resolution.

I'd really like to learn from other cruisers about different ways of reducing file sizes for E-mailing back home.

Scott & Karen

Holy Cow! There sure were a lot of mean-spirited posts on this thread!!!

So some people care how much time people spend on the internet while on the ship.

So some people are upset that these people care about what other people do.

Then they judge those people for judging other people.

Sheesh! Whatever. Live and let live.

If you judge people for judging other people ....... guess what? You are judging people!!!

Having said that, happy cruising everyone! :)

[quote=CaveDiving;48025689

I'd really like to learn from other cruisers about different ways of reducing file sizes for E-mailing back home.

Scott & Karen

I use Image Shrink by Olive Labs for Android or iOS resizing. It's so good that we bought the paid version.

Also highly recommended is Perfectly Clear, available for both mobile devices and computers

http://www.athentech.com/

I have Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro for the computer. Windows XP had an image resizer Power Toy, but Microsoft discontinued it. There is a clone of the Power Toy for newer versions of Windows at:

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/