Internet---now it's official!

Love the beach

I think I'll be bringing my iPod on shore and accessing free wi-fi at a restaurant or bar. I don't feel the need to check emails every day when we are away - it's nice to be disconnected.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We will limit ourselves to the free minutes that we get on some cruise lines.

After that, we find a bar a few streets away from the port and use their wireless service to upload/download. Always do it at the end of the day between when we come back from touring and the ships last call time in order not to detract from our on shore time. We never use the bars or cafes closest to the ship as they are usually full and the I/N is slow. SInce being retired, it is such a luxury not to be tied to internet or cel.

Compared to what? Certainly not compared to previous pricing for anything other than the most basic usage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

For starters, for $1 less per day, I can get RCI's high speed VOOM, which allows me to stream videos and music, not just check my email and other very basic internet functions.

I'd hazard a guess that for the majority of passengers, the primary use of the internet while cruising is checking and sending email. Pretty low bandwidth, and IMO HAL could have included it in the $5 social media package along with Facebook and other apps and still made a profit.

I've personally given up on internet packages on HAL and wait until I'm in a port.

The crew can be an excellent source for locations of free internet in any port and they often have the log in passwords on hand.

I do the same thing. Remember though, the CREW not the STAFF.

Recently, while leaving the ship I asked the port guide (a staff position) where to go for free internet. He directed me to a Starbucks about a mile away in town. I did not trust this answer, so I asked a crew member on the dock the same question and his response was - go to the port terminal building about 100 yards away and sit anywhere in it!

The challenge with terminal building internet is that it often becomes overloaded with crew members doing VOIP and facetime, etc. Hard to get on and slow response.

This is the reason why we try to find some place a block or so away. Everyone goes to a Starbucks if it is near the dock so we avoid that completely. Same with any other well known location, including the cruise terminal. We do ask the crew but we seldom bother with the cruise terminal. In Barcelona, the crew told us about a small café used by port security. It was empty, it was perfect, and the signal was strong and fast.

We do not need the internet nor do we travel with cell phones. But we do take our Ipads. I just refuse to pay premium rates for the substandard speed/service etc. that we have experienced on many cruise lines. Don't want to encourage them!

Edited by iancal

Just off Nieuw Amsterdam from eastern med. Internet was $265 for 12 night cruise unlimited. We purchased 200 minutes for $99 and it was poor. Our best internet was on shore in a pay-for internet cafe, 1 euro for 24 hrs and very fast. Our cruise home is transatlantic on NCL in a few weeks, so we'll see what their internet is like.

Intermediate level internet was $60 unlimited for 7 days as recently as September on the Westerdam. I doubt they are going to increase the cost to $16 per day as the link states.

Edited by qsuzi

We just got off the Oosterdam Sept 30th and the CHEAPEST package was 40 min for $55. They were all ludicrous like that. The packages swiftly increased from there. It was 75 cents per minute pay-as-you-go.

Edited by CupKayke

$25 a day for the best package seems pretty steep to me.

I agree that is steep.

I always buy an internet package but would not spend $25 per day. No way.

Intermediate level internet was $60 unlimited for 7 days as recently as September on the Westerdam. I doubt they are going to increase the cost to $16 per day as the link states.

I'd happily pay $60 for unlimited 7 days. That's great. :)

We just got off the Oosterdam Sept 30th and the CHEAPEST package was 40 min for $55. They were all ludicrous like that. The packages swiftly increased from there. It was 75 cents per minute pay-as-you-go.

Wow....... For years, $55 plus the start up charge bought 100 minutes on HAL. This is quite an increase in cost to only now get 40 minutes.

Wow....... For years, $55 plus the start up charge bought 100 minutes on HAL. This is quite an increase in cost to only now get 40 minutes.

The cheapest package was $55. I don't know how many minutes $55 got you for sure. The packages were steep and not a good deal. It was 75 cents per minute if you did pay as you go. The Internet was fast.

I'm afraid you may have some numbers confused. Even at 75 cents per minute, 40 minutes only costs $30.

I imagine you meant to say it was 100 minutes for $55.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

I'm afraid you should keep reading before you reply. Geez.

Just a FYI,

Sometimes when reading the threads, if you do not refresh your screen, you may not see a post which was added. They may have seen my post but not your last post. It happens. :cool: