Funny Story about Collector's Voyage

wesport

In May of the year we did a 28 day on the Prinsendam. Baltic and Celtic Explorer it was called. The itinerary was fantastic. We stayed in one of the dreaded cabins on the back of the ship added after drydock. It actually was great. Large Balcony. The whole experience was terrific. Most of our 18 cruises have been on HAL, but we have also done a couple on Celebrity and Princess. At the end of the first 14 days, we got a letter from the Hotel Manager thanking us for being on a collectors voyage. In thanking us, we were offered 15% off one bottle of wine in the MDR, and thanking us even more, we could get an extra shot( a 50 cent value) in our expressos for the remainder of the cruise. Now, I love HAL, and this is not being negative, but after spending $16000 for two people, I just read this and laughed. I did take advantage of the one bottle of wine. What were they thinking???

Just had to share the story.

Richard

I understand your reaction to such a piddly offering on the one hand but will give a small nod they at least acknowledged your loyalty.

I've always been of the thinking if you are not going 'to do it right', don't do it at all.

Their offer required you to spend more in order for you to receive their token offer. Not good PR. They would have done better to simply send a note thanking you for sailing with them.

Edited by sail7seas

From the sound of it, it may have been given to passengers in any cabin on any collectors voyage. Making more valuable offers to passengers who paid more might happen only after a decision to do that specifically. I can understand though, from the OP's perspective, the irony of the offer.

Richard, we were on the same Collector's Voyage, in a lowly oceanview cabin. We only received the Indonesian lunch (to which I am sure you were invited). Considering your "offer" for discounts, I don't feel so bad!

I do miss the days when the people on the Collector's Voyages got a special cocktail hour that was attended by the officers. Sure, it's fine if the captain isn't always there, IMO, but some recognition of our loyalty after almost a month on the ship would have been nice. I don't think an hour's worth of drinks "on the house" would have been a huge dent in the profits from the B2B guests. :D

I did fail to mention that we also got the Indonesian lunch as well. Not great. Went to the Lido afterwards. I'm not complaining, but a plate of 6 chocolate strawberries would have just been fine. We found the crew and the MDR on the Prinsendam to be terrific.

Richard

I know we would have jumped on the 15% off a bottle of wine.

All we have ever gotten for Collectors Cruises is a tiny plate of cold appetizers -- same ones that are served in the Neptune Lounge on one cruise. Another time we got 3 chocolate covered strawberries -- which were also -- on that ship -- available in the Neptune Lounge.

We rarely had anything of note on Collector's Cruises but I do recall once we got a complimentary dinner in Tamarind, a cocktail party in Crows Nest and perhaps some other lunch invitations that we never attended. I do like all the Mariners Tote bags we got on Collector's cruises. They are the best HAL totes of the many styles I've received.

Richard, we were on the same Collector's Voyage, in a lowly oceanview cabin. We only received the Indonesian lunch (to which I am sure you were invited). Considering your "offer" for discounts, I don't feel so bad!

I do miss the days when the people on the Collector's Voyages got a special cocktail hour that was attended by the officers. Sure, it's fine if the captain isn't always there, IMO, but some recognition of our loyalty after almost a month on the ship would have been nice. I don't think an hour's worth of drinks "on the house" would have been a huge dent in the profits from the B2B guests. :D

We had a cocktail party on my May cruise on the Veendam. It was from 6:30 to 7. It certainly didn't work for those that like to eat early or the late folks. My guess was that it was to cut down on the attendees.

On our last Collector's we received the same offer, but one more percent off item (can't remember what), the Indonesian lunch (excellent), a plate of chocolates (so-so) and another bottle of Pol Clement from the Captain and HD.

No party for Collectors and no extra bag (agree with KK: those were outstanding), but those perks are long gone.

We thought it gracious and appreciated it that all those perks made an appearance.

We rarely had anything of note on Collector's Cruises but I do recall once we got a complimentary dinner in Tamarind, a cocktail party in Crows Nest and perhaps some other lunch invitations that we never attended. I do like all the Mariners Tote bags we got on Collector's cruises. They are the best HAL totes of the many styles I've received.

What does the special tote bag look like? We have done several collectors cruises and are doing two of them B2B this coming Jan/Feb and have never gotten anything other than the normal cheap blue paper fabric bag.

They stopped giving them out about 2 or more years ago. The were very good quality heavy cotton canvas, nice shoulder straps, a pocket in the front, navy with ecru trim and Mariners Logo. We were very fortunate to take many Collectors during the years they gave them out and I have a nice collection of them. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I am in the process of booking 2 cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam 1/3/16 and 1/10/16. They are not calling this a collectors cruise and that's fine... But they will not call it a b2b either!? I have done many collectors and b2b cruises with Holland before, but not in the last 3 years. My travel agent and I are both perplexed as to why they won't even call it a b2b and I am staying in the same stateroom for both cruises😏

My TA called back earlier just to make sure I didn't have to pack up then unpack again lol. This is definitely something new and seeing this thread made me think the reason for not giving these two cruises a "label" is so no benefit can be obtained as in the past when I booked in this manner. Now it's considered just booking two 7 day cruises therefore no 5% discount!

I am in the process of booking 2 cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam 1/3/16 and 1/10/16. They are not calling this a collectors cruise and that's fine... But they will not call it a b2b either!? I have done many collectors and b2b cruises with Holland before, but not in the last 3 years. My travel agent and I are both perplexed as to why they won't even call it a b2b and I am staying in the same stateroom for both cruises😏

My TA called back earlier just to make sure I didn't have to pack up then unpack again lol. This is definitely something new and seeing this thread made me think the reason for not giving these two cruises a "label" is so no benefit can be obtained as in the past when I booked in this manner. Now it's considered just booking two 7 day cruises therefore no 5% discount!

Things are changing! And tightening up.

Collectors have been discounted in varying amounts, not much usually. We are fine with booking 2 separate cruises because some of the perks are worth getting twice (2 free Pinnacle morph into 4! etc).

What you are experiencing is that HAL is getting out of the business of giving much away now. No Collectors equals no discount, no Indonesian lunch or the equivalent, no Collectors party, no chocolates or whatever, no quality bag. All this equals big savings for HAL.

They stopped giving them out about 2 or more years ago. The were very good quality heavy cotton canvas, nice shoulder straps, a pocket in the front, navy with ecru trim and Mariners Logo. We were very fortunate to take many Collectors during the years they gave them out and I have a nice collection of them. :)

We did quite a few Collector Cruises during that time when HAL was giving out those nice new totes.

Only have 3 of them.

They weren't given out on all ships.

I am in the process of booking 2 cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam 1/3/16 and 1/10/16. They are not calling this a collectors cruise and that's fine... But they will not call it a b2b either!? I have done many collectors and b2b cruises with Holland before, but not in the last 3 years. My travel agent and I are both perplexed as to why they won't even call it a b2b and I am staying in the same stateroom for both cruises

We have done quite a few Collector Cruises over the years and never got 5% off.

Each time I would compare booking them separate and as a Collectors cruise -- we barely got 2% savings.

We had a cocktail party on my May cruise on the Veendam. It was from 6:30 to 7. It certainly didn't work for those that like to eat early or the late folks. My guess was that it was to cut down on the attendees.

Never got a free dinner.

Did have a cocktail party one time -- but at a weird time -- 7 - 7:30. Since we had early dinner which back then was 5:45 -- we got there at 7:20 and barely got 1 drink.

I understand your reaction to such a piddly offering on the one hand but will give a small nod they at least acknowledged your loyalty.

I've always been of the thinking if you are not going 'to do it right', don't do it at all.

Their offer required you to spend more in order for you to receive their token offer. Not good PR. They would have done better to simply send a note thanking you for sailing with them.

Hear Hear!