Insurance for medical condition

Presto2

My insurance company (provided with a fee paying bank account) told me they would not cover me for any premium when I was diagnosed in May this year. I wanted to book a cruise so went seraching. I finished up with Staysure who were not the cheapest but seem to have a reasonable reputation. Going to the Caribbean in January 16 so very much under the US medical system and they are charging me £320 for the trip. Still seems an awful lot but I guess it depends on the illness and how much you want to go. I talked it though with them and they were very supportive. Hope this gives an idea.

stay away from staysure. have you not read all the reviews? they will try everything to not pay out!!!!

last year, my mother was taken into hospital ill, and we had to ask them for forms to make a claim for her air fare. NOT the whole holiday as we were still going, but leaving mum here. a lousy £650. after a week, I rang them to say I would send the death certificate along with the doctors note they asked for. they replied that that was a second claim and therefore I was committing fraud. they would therefore not be paying out.

so there you have it. claim if youre sick, but if you snuff it, they say fraud!!

just what you need when trying to sort out funeral arrangements etc. they only paid out in the end when I plastered the internet about it and started court procedings. that's the scum you're giving your money too.

I sujest you look up the reviews, and think very carefully.............

We have used staysure on a number of occasions and had to claim once when our son was too ill to travel. They paid out with little fuss. I found them very helpful.

they only paid out in the end when I plastered the internet about it

Is that why you have copy and pasted your other gripe on every thread on this forum, to get something back?

Another one asking for advice please, we have 2 cruise's booked Fjords in May and transatlantic Caribbean in Nov.

Got quote today For the Fjords despite all my wife's problems all done 150 pds BUT

would not quote us for the Caribbean despite them covering us on same trip 2 years ago, four years ago we used Staysure but cost 554 pds.

Anybody have any suggestions my wife is in her 60's and i am over 70 :(

Another one asking for advice please, we have 2 cruise's booked Fjords in May and transatlantic Caribbean in Nov.

Got quote today For the Fjords despite all my wife's problems all done 150 pds BUT

would not quote us for the Caribbean despite them covering us on same trip 2 years ago, four years ago we used Staysure but cost 554 pds.

Anybody have any suggestions my wife is in her 60's and i am over 70 :(

Onviously I dont know what your wifes problems are (...and not asking!) but i think you will have to shop around. You are not going to get it cheap whoever you go with as anything outside Europe will always cost more. If you are a member of Which? ( or know someone who is) have a look on their website as there is some useful information there.

You could try LV, Saga, Insuredtotravel, Blue Bear, Boots or BIBA...all of these are known to cover preexisting medical conditions...but maybe at a cost.

Problem is that there is no consistency - one company may insure one person but not another...you will just have to plug away until you find one that meets your needs, and who will insure you.

Good luck!

Edited by Mysticalmother

Got quote today For the Fjords despite all my wife's problems all done 150 pds Anybody have any suggestions my wife is in her 60's and i am over 70 :(

Try this site for comparisons: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pre-existing-medical-conditions/

Just renewed our annual insurance yesterday and it really is a minefield. We are in our early 60s and both have pre existing conditions, but nothing imminently life threatening.

Every time you want a quote you have to go through those tiresome questions yet again. Every company gives you a different quote.

In the end I have taken an annual worldwide excluding USA/ Caribbean as OH is off to Oz.

I found Staysure to be the best price, but I rang three times and got a different price each time. In spite of them constantly sending me emails offering up to twenty per cent discount on insurance, they find every excuse not to honour it.

We paid £390 for the two of us. We hope to go to the Caribbean again but not until the insurance almost expires, so we can addition on.

All these companies are just a load of sharks. Unfortunately, they have us by the short and curlies as I would never travel without adequate insurance.

Just renewed our annual insurance yesterday and it really is a minefield. We are in our early 60s and both have pre existing conditions, but nothing imminently life threatening.

Every time you want a quote you have to go through those tiresome questions yet again. Every company gives you a different quote.

In the end I have taken an annual worldwide excluding USA/ Caribbean as OH is off to Oz.

I found Staysure to be the best price, but I rang three times and got a different price each time. In spite of them constantly sending me emails offering up to twenty per cent discount on insurance, they find every excuse not to honour it.

We paid £390 for the two of us. We hope to go to the Caribbean again but not until the insurance almost expires, so we can addition on.

All these companies are just a load of sharks. Unfortunately, they have us by the short and curlies as I would never travel without adequate insurance.

If you register on Topcashback and then go on to quote via a company such as stature you can buy a quote and usually get a sizeable back as cash back. We got our Mum 25% back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with your comments about the questions.

Our experience was that we got annual European cover for our 1st cruise. Thought about Caribbean so got extension quote. When we finally booked, months later, the extension was exactly the same as we were originally quoted.

My hubbie has regular checkups every 4 months. Never claimed in 40 years, but still get penalised. My cousin had a heart attack in Maderia and it cost them a fortune!

The Wilkies - so does your cousin travel without insurance? Even with an EHIC (previously E111) your cousin would be entitled to the same treatment as Portuguese nationals. This would not be in private hospitals but hospitals like NHS ones.

The Wilkies - so does your cousin travel without insurance? Even with an EHIC (previously E111) your cousin would be entitled to the same treatment as Portuguese nationals. This would not be in private hospitals but hospitals like NHS ones.

Without insurance, you don't get accommodation for the husband or wife, and you don't get replacement flights home. And if you aren't well enough to travel on a scheduled flight, air ambulances cost a fortune.

I knew someone that routinely travelled without insurance in Europe, and the husband had a stroke in Spain. His 3 weeks in hospital cost nothing, but when they said they had done all they could and it was time to leave hospital, he wasn't able to fly and they couldn't afford the private air ambulance. His family had to hire a camper van and drive him home.

Yes, it is insane to travel without adequate insurance. We have just had to renew ours and always buy an annual policy. We both have pre existing conditions, so it is fairly costly, but we wouldn't travel without it.

Some friends of mine went to Florida from the UK recently. Whilst there the male of the couple had a heart attack and died. He had no pre existing conditions, had never smoked, was slim and ate healthily. You just never knows what is around the corner. Thankfully they had adequate insurance, but oddness knows what the costs would have been if they hadn't.

Sorry, re-read and understand confusion. Annie had insurance. It cost the insurance company a fortune.

On the aurora world segment from sydney someone explained that the son of friends of theirs had an accident in Japan and did not have adequate insurance. to get him back to australia cost over £50,000 :eek:

My worldwide annual cover is £10 million medical expenses :)