Insurance for medical condition

Presto2

We have been with Saga for the past three years. I take tablets for high blood pressure and also have a skin condition and my husband has glaucoma. When our annual policy was coming up for renewal a couple of months ago I started contacting other companies to get quotes. We are both 70 next year, my husband at the beginning of the year and me at the end and we are due to go to the Caribbean again next February. So I needed to change our Europe only policy to Worldwide including USA and Caribbean and that really bumps up the price.

Some companies refused to cover us because by the time we go my husband will be 70. I went to all the usual companies including most of the ones mentioned on here. Eventually I went back to my own company, Saga, and the quote from them was just over £400. I couldn't find a quote from another company anywhere near that so we have stayed with Saga.

We did claim from them last year when my husband had an eye infection and had to visit an eye clinic in Tallin. At that time I hadn't declared his Glaucoma to Saga - just because he's had it for quite a while and it really never occurred to me. He said he was going to claim for the Tallin costs and the P&O medical costs (P&O were brilliant by the way) and I said there was no way Saga would pay as we hadn't declared the Glaucoma. The Consultant in Tallin had said he had a Corneal Infection and it was nothing to do with the Glaucoma - his Consultant back here said the same thing. Well, to my amazement Saga paid up - it wasn't a lot of money - just under £200 I think. Of course when we renewed I declared the Glaucoma and the agent said it made little difference to the amount quoted. I also queried the fact that my husband will be 70 when we go next February and she said that didn't make a difference either. So I think we will be sticking with Saga.

Sounds like you have a good company there.... stick with them !

Over the last few years we have done searches on-line for cruise cover and used various price comparsion sites, Money Saving Expert, Go Compare, etc and these allow you to populate the fields with pre-exsisting medical conditions, so you do not have to do this for every company.

For us with our conditions, we found Insure & Go as offering the best value.

Only just seen your post.... I am 70 yrs old....triple bypass....and replacement aortic valve.......insurance for myself and wife..two weeks cruise £124

with World First, tel 0845 9080161...Based in Exeter, Devon...very helpful company

People should not forget that if they take out insurance only for the time they are going to be away they will not be covered if something happens before they cruise. I broke an ankle about 5 weeks before a cruise on Queen Victoria. As we have an annual policy I was covered and got all my money back, including the deposit plus the money we'd paid to CPS for the parking. Had I only taken out insurance for the nights we were going to be away I would not have been able to claim.

People should not forget that if they take out insurance only for the time they are going to be away they will not be covered if something happens before they cruise. I broke an ankle about 5 weeks before a cruise on Queen Victoria. As we have an annual policy I was covered and got all my money back, including the deposit plus the money we'd paid to CPS for the parking. Had I only taken out insurance for the nights we were going to be away I would not have been able to claim.

If you take out cover when you book you will be covered from then on...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suggest try Boots Travel Ins. They seem quite reasonable but complicated application.

Just got a quote from Boots Travel Ins and was astounded. For the last 5 years we have had multi-trip insurance, including cruise cover because we take 4 or 5 cruises a year, with Insure and Go who have quoted us £132 for the next 12 months, Boots won't let us have multi-trip because husband has had open heart surgery in the past and for one cruise in December they quoted £308.44. Needless to say we have re-booked with Insure and Go as we already have December cruise and 2 others booked for 2016.

We answered all of the questions exactly the same for husband's condition with both companies because we don't believe in taking any chances even though he has had no further surgery in the last 12 years and his cardiologist does not expect him to have further problems so long has he takes his medication.

Edited by Josy1953

Single trip insurance doesn't work like this. Once you've booked it, if anything happens from that point until the end of your trip you are covered.

My mother is 82 with no pre-existing conditions, and gets annual insurance from Staysure for about £400, including USA. Few other companies do annual policies for over-80's.
Thanks for that. A friend of ours has used them. He is 85 and is on meds for BP and irregular heartbeat. He finds them very reasonable.

I booked my Mums insurance at the weekend. Cheapest quote was Staysure as she is 80 and has quite a few ailments. If you are registered with/or register with Topcashback they pay 25% cashback for Staysure which was a sizeable bonus.

Also, although it's sensible to check whether your insurance covers cruises, the actual box to tick for "cruise cover" doesn't mean that at all. It's extra cover should you be confined to your cabin for a few days and miss excursions.

When you take out travel insurance be it single or multi trip, as long as it includes cancellation cover - and that is normal, if you have to cancel prior to departure you will be covered for what you have paid since taking out the cover.

Because of my medical history our insurance for trips outside Europe usually costs more than the deposit so we take out insurance when we pay the full balance. We see no point in paying to cover the deposit when it costs as much or more. Should it be that we have to cancel before final payment we just have to say goodbye to that amount.

Having had quotes from and used various companies I have now used

Able2travel for the last few trips. Insurance linked to bank accounts are no good for me. I make sure I declare everything as I know from experience that if it is necessary to make a claim any insurance will make enquiries from your GP etc. They do not take your word for it. I keep a list of all previous conditions that I need to declare and all meds in case I forget anything. What fun - not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been reading the insurance thread with interest as our annual travel insurance is due at the end of December.

I've looked briefly at the Insure With website which has an option for a quote for Annual Insurance, Single Trip insurance. Cruise Insurance.

I would like an annual insurance policy which would include cover for cruise. Does anyone know if their annual travel insurance quote will include cruise cover or if I need to obtain a quote under the cruise quote?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I have been reading the insurance thread with interest as our annual travel insurance is due at the end of December.

I've looked briefly at the Insure With website which has an option for a quote for Annual Insurance, Single Trip insurance. Cruise Insurance.

I would like an annual insurance policy which would include cover for cruise. Does anyone know if their annual travel insurance quote will include cruise cover or if I need to obtain a quote under the cruise quote?

Most policies these days do not specifically cover cruises unless you ask for it. This is because the costs involved in being medivaced can be very high and any medical expenses incurred on board are at private rates. Also, some companies now cover you for missed ports and that is worth having these days when more and more ports are being missed for various reasons, hope that helps

There is a difference between being covered to go on a cruise and actual "cruise Cover". Cruise cover includes things like being confined to your cabin with norovirus, missed ports etc. We never bother with that cruise cover. But we do choose companies that cover cruises. We have 3 medical conditions between us. Have always found Insure and Go very good.

Hi

I got annual cover with LV which has very good cruise cover including missed port/ port cancellation / cabin confinement cover along with very good cover for medical expenses and baggage insurance.

Hi

I got annual cover with LV which has very good cruise cover including missed port/ port cancellation / cabin confinement cover along with very good cover for medical expenses and baggage insurance.

I am with LV too.....and glad i was when we had 2 missed ports in May this year...!

I am with LV too.....and glad i was when we had 2 missed ports in May this year...!

I found the price with LV to be quite reasonable for what is included and the insurance is very highly rated as the best insurance company in the uk in most awards