First cruise ..... starting to wonder if I have made a mistake.

Cabansail

Thanks for all the replies and tips.

Some have been very useful and others, while well meaning, have me more apprehensive than before. It may be better if my leave is not approved and I have to cancel.

Yes .... I am a bit weird. Things other people really like don't do it for me. Sitting by the pool is nice for about 20 minutes or so and then I will have had enough for a long time. Night Clubs and Dancing are things I will actively avoid. While it's nice to eat out occasionally after a couple of days I am itching to get beck into the kitchen and do some cooking, especially when travelling.

The other realisation that has occurred, and should have been obvious much earlier, is that the whole experience seems geared towards US tastes. I generally do not like US culture. The individuals I have met have been fine but I have a problem on a bigger scale. I looked up The Quest, which some have said is "not to be missed" but just the bit online was enough.

Maybe when I get there it will be OK, fingers crossed.

We barely sit by the pool, never go to night clubs, and still find plenty of things to do. There are other thing besides events like the Quest, too.

Plus, you are more focusing on the ship, and not when you are off the ship.

About the US culture thing- being that this is cruise is starts and ends in Australia, the US culture thing will be more subdued that you may think- it's really hard to travel there, so it's not as if starting in the US and ending there.

Still- focus on the ports between Perth and Sydney. Not the ship so much.

Some have been very useful and others, while well meaning, have me more apprehensive than before. It may be better if my leave is not approved and I have to cancel.

Yes .... I am a bit weird. Things other people really like don't do it for me. Sitting by the pool is nice for about 20 minutes or so and then I will have had enough for a long time. Night Clubs and Dancing are things I will actively avoid. While it's nice to eat out occasionally after a couple of days I am itching to get beck into the kitchen and do some cooking, especially when travelling.

The other realisation that has occurred, and should have been obvious much earlier, is that the whole experience seems geared towards US tastes. I generally do not like US culture. The individuals I have met have been fine but I have a problem on a bigger scale. I looked up The Quest, which some have said is "not to be missed" but just the bit online was enough.

With everything that you have said in the original post and this one, IMHO I think you should have taken a much shorter cruise than 16 days because if you don't like it after the first few days you are going to be miserable for the rest of the entire cruise. I hope you like it!

Cruises aren't for everyone. Enjoyment on a vacation depends a whole lot on attitude and what you put into it. When traveling in general, you have to have an attitude of don't sweat the small stuff (like laundry). It should be an easy decision to compare on board laundry costs -vs- cost of paying for an extra bag. Or, you could challenge yourself to research packing optimization and figure out how to pack what you need within the weight allowance. I just came off of a 17 day cruise, never had to have laundry done, and came home with some clothes never worn (meaning I packed too much).

For me, I control my control-freakiness by exhaustively planning what I'm going to do in each port. Participate in the roll call and you'll get all kinds of suggestions.

Back to my original point, cruises aren't for everyone. My BIL and his wife won a free 7 day cruise through his work. They absolutely hated it. They said the food was terrible- they ate all their meals in the buffet instead of the MDR or specialty restaurant. There were too many people- they never went on any port excursion or sought out any on board activities. Never went to any of the shows. They went on and on about how terrible their cruise was but they never attempted to do anything. Me, I read 5 books during sea days of my last cruise. DW organized a trivia group. We went on excursions at every port except one. So your enjoyment will depend A LOT on what you put into it. All of your worries are the "small stuff".

Met a lot of nice Aussies and Kiwis on my last cruise. Judging from their smiles, I think they really enjoyed themselves.

I think I am meant to go on this trip. My leave was approved yesterday so I then rang the Travel Agent to let her know. She contacted the booking people but they advised her that the hold on that cabin had expired on Monday. The new price would be >AU$11K (well over twice the price) to re-book and that was the cheapest option. Then they realised that the computer had not released the booking and if she paid immediately it would be honoured. She sent the money. SWMBO is thrilled.

Have joined the Roll Call and am waiting to get my confirmation for the booking number and cabin etc.

Now to start working out what camera gear I should take and to research the port calls.

One more question. When they say Formal Wear, what is the expectation there?

I think I am meant to go on this trip. My leave was approved yesterday so I then rang the Travel Agent to let her know. She contacted the booking people but they advised her that the hold on that cabin had expired on Monday. The new price would be >AU$11K (well over twice the price) to re-book and that was the cheapest option. Then they realised that the computer had not released the booking and if she paid immediately it would be honoured. She sent the money. SWMBO is thrilled.

Have joined the Roll Call and am waiting to get my confirmation for the booking number and cabin etc.

Now to start working out what camera gear I should take and to research the port calls.

Great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I bring a suit with me that I wear for each formal night but slacks and a sport jacket will do. And a couple of ties of course.

If you don't care to dress for formal night you can eat in the buffet wearing your casual clothes.

There really isn't one. The recommendation is a suit (black tie optional) but in reality they won't kick you out if you don't go formal. I've seen everything from white tie to black tie to polos and khakis on formal night. Just as long as you're not in shorts, swimwear, or cutoffs, you should be fine in the main dining room on formal night.

Here's the thing to remember about cruising: none of it is mandatory. I've never seen the Quest because I know from the descriptions that it's clearly not my cup of tea. I don't go to the production shows. I don't buy drinks packages. I go on cruises mostly because it's an efficient way to get from place to place, and I love to sit on my balcony reading a good book and looking out at the water. And I enjoy the trivia competitions. There is something for just about everyone on a cruise - and if there isn't, well, then you'll probably come home with a lot of funny stories about your awful cruise!

There were a number of Australians on my last cruise, including two at my dinner table. They seemed to be having a wonderful time. You'll find that most of the crew and staff aren't American, and on your itinerary, most of the passengers won't be either, so I don't think it'll be nearly as much of a U.S. cultural immersion as you may be expecting.

Here's the thing to remember about cruising: none of it is mandatory. I've never seen the Quest because I know from the descriptions that it's clearly not my cup of tea. I don't go to the production shows. I don't buy drinks packages. I go on cruises mostly because it's an efficient way to get from place to place, and I love to sit on my balcony reading a good book and looking out at the water. And I enjoy the trivia competitions. There is something for just about everyone on a cruise - and if there isn't, well, then you'll probably come home with a lot of funny stories about your awful cruise!

There were a number of Australians on my last cruise, including two at my dinner table. They seemed to be having a wonderful time. You'll find that most of the crew and staff aren't American, and on your itinerary, most of the passengers won't be either, so I don't think it'll be nearly as much of a U.S. cultural immersion as you may be expecting.

Even so, I'd like to think not all my countrymen are the "ugly American" of international travel stereotype. Surely that has to be a few good ones of us still out there that enjoy international travel and don't immediately demand the location of the nearest McDonalds and ask why aren't you speaking 'Murrican the minute they arrive in another country.

There really isn't one. The recommendation is a suit (black tie optional) but in reality they won't kick you out if you don't go formal. I've seen everything from white tie to black tie to polos and khakis on formal night. Just as long as you're not in shorts, swimwear, or cutoffs, you should be fine in the main dining room on formal night.

I have a leather jacket and a tie somewhere (nice and tasteful with Santa dropping his pants and LED eyes) which should be OK then. :D

I have a leather jacket and a tie somewhere (nice and tasteful with Santa dropping his pants and LED eyes) which should be OK then. :D

I make no representations as to what the maitre'd may or may not find funny :p. I, for one, would let it pass though!

Seriously though I think too much is made about "formal" nights in the MDR. This isn't Cunard where having your cummerbund upside down will get you keelhauled. Sure you'll see people go all out in tuxedoes and cocktail dresses but that's not the expectation the staff has. And as somebody else pointed out, if you want to avoid any sort of formal trappings altogether, the buffet at Windjammer is there as are the specialty restaurants. Now, if SWMBO wants to get dressy for a formal dinner (there'll be 3 on a 16-nighter) then I fall back on the maxim that's gotten me through 5 years of marriage thus far - 'Happy wife, happy life.' :D

Even so, I'd like to think not all my countrymen are the "ugly American" of international travel stereotype. Surely that has to be a few good ones of us still out there that enjoy international travel and don't immediately demand the location of the nearest McDonalds and ask why aren't you speaking 'Murrican the minute they arrive in another country.

I have found most Americans to be absolutely splendid people. The stereotype is long gone and there are eejits from every country. It's not the individuals which are the issue. It's the culture which is projected on the world stage which makes me cringe. Then again many things about Australian culture is fairly poor too.

I have only ever been to the US once, and that was in 1972, so I really do not know what it is like to be in the country. I also would not say no to travelling there if the opportunity came up, but it's not on my list of places to visit. The thing is that most of the Americans that I have got to know outside of the USA sort of say that they did not see the culture until they were outside of it for a while. One absolutely detests it and is pleased that her accent is mistaken for being Irish by most people. Living outside Australia for many years let me see how we project ourselves too, and quite often it was not good.

If those that post here are typical of a cruise crowd then it should not be a problem

if SWMBO wants to get dressy for a formal dinner (there'll be 3 on a 16-nighter) then I fall back on the maxim that's gotten me through 5 years of marriage thus far - 'Happy wife, happy life.' :D

She has many nice clothes which she does not get the opportunity to wear, so I guess Santa will get an airing.

You'll never know, if you dont do a cruise at least once!

Whilest the RCI ships are here for the Aussie cruise season, things are a bit more relaxed and whilest there may be a few Americans onboard, it'll be mainly Aussies and probably a few Pommies as well.

You'll get a copy of the Cruise Compass each night, that will tell you what's on for the next day. As others have said, you can do as much or as little as you like.

Radiance is one of Australia's favourite ships.

The Quest is good fun but you are under no obligation to join in if you do decide to go and watch it!!

Big recommendation is to pack all necessities/important/cruise documents/set sail pass/valuable things in your carry on luggage.

Also a big tip when it comes to packing clothes, get some packing cells (either from Kathmandu or wish.com has them for cheaper) and then roll your clothes, you'll be surprised as to how much can be packed using this method!

Radiance is a fantastic ship.

You'll have a great time.....apart form the coffee.

As an Aussie...the coffee will nearly kill you. (Non Aussie's don't realise how strong our coffee culture is!) Being is a suite will save you. You have a coffee machine with the tea bag type pods. It is drinkable.

But on port days you will beeline to a decent hipster coffee shop! :)

There really is very little need to spend onboard unless you want to.

Some of the pay restaurants are so worth the money. The duty free grog pries are great as is much of the makeup.

But the rest of Radiance is great. And the Perth to Sydney trip is fantastic.

Raina

I agree, Radiance is great and I think you may be surprised at what a wonderful holiday you will experience, Cabansail. Regarding coffee, you could consider taking a box of individual flavored coffee creamers with you- French Vanilla, Italian Sweet Cream, etc. We did this for the first time on our recent Jewel sailing and it worked out perfect for our morning Windjammer java.

And it's still fun to relax with a specialty coffee at Cafe Latte-tudes once in a while, if you wish. (Hint: the sweets in the case there are complimentary, with or without a purchase).

Bon Voyage, I hope you will come back and let us know what you think about the beautiful Radiance and your first cruise! :)

This ugly American demands pictures when you get back! :D

I will have lots of photo's, as that is what I do, but I am behind the camera. :D

I have asked in the Roll Call if any fellow cruisers would be interested in Photography Lessons while on board. I imagine most will have cameras with them. Many people do not know how to use them properly or make good photographs. Is there a mechanism to form groups like this on board? Would it step on the toes of the staff photographers?

I will have lots of photo's, as that is what I do, but I am behind the camera. :D

I have asked in the Roll Call if any fellow cruisers would be interested in Photography Lessons while on board. I imagine most will have cameras with them. Many people do not know how to use them properly or make good photographs. Is there a mechanism to form groups like this on board? Would it step on the toes of the staff photographers?

Doubtful as the staff photographers are generally only interested in taking pictures of the guests at dinner, in formal posed situations, and getting on/off the ship at embarkation and at ports. As for a mechanism there's usually a message board located near Guest Services where you can advertise meetup (usually Friends of Bill, Friends of Dorothy, gaming groups, and lifestyle groups make use of this most frequently) but I doubt it'd hurt to advertise an informal meetup of people interested in photography.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Lots of good advice here, and I'm glad to see an attitude change from your first post to last!

I just want to reiterate about putting your camera gear, meds, travel docs and computer gear in your carry on. Should be plenty of room in your luggage for clothes. No one will remember if you wear the same shirt or pants to dinner a few times during the cruise. If you do the laundry day special, roll your clothes (and it's really only for tee shirts, socks, underwear and shorts--nothing that will shrink); you'll fit in more.

We've been on Brilliance, not Radiance. I loved it, but my banker (hubby, who pays for our cruises) likes the big ships only. Who am I to complain? I'm going on a cruise!!

Please come back to let us know how you enjoyed it. And post your photos. I bet they'll be great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just want to reiterate about putting your camera gear, meds, travel docs and computer gear in your carry on.

A65268BDF07945CF91D3F495D5DF3DF0-0000318539-0003744141-00800L-2E740161F42B4DDD96E2CEB81DDBEB8B.jpg

This is some of my camera gear. I will not be taking it all but working out what I will use is difficult. Some can be carry on but most goes into a Pelican Case as luggage.

AHA!

I had a feeling you just didn't want to have NOTHING to do, you need a reason for what consumes your time. The photography lessons sound good. Also, why not take photos on the cruise and organize them into a review/photography lesson combo on this message board when you get back!